Instagram     

Go Back   PNW Moto > Washington > Spokane

Spokane Rides, meetups, regional discussions | Spokane, Pullman-Moscow

Like Tree4Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Jan 18th 2017, 03:01 PM   #1
 TimberMoto's Avatar
 
  Jan 2016
  Salem, Oregon

  Supermoto Dreaming...
Tell me about Spokane

I've been looking at the possibility of relocating. I was checking out real estate in Spokane and besides the affordability it looks really beautiful up there. I've heard a little bit about the roads up there, but I don't know much else. Like how is the job market (IT)? What do you like and not like about the area? An input would be appreciated.
Jan 18th 2017, 04:07 PM   #2
 Chrishil54's Avatar
 
  Jan 2016
  Kirkland

  2009 V-Star 1100 Custom
Hot in the summer, cold in the winter. Most of the jobs seem to be related to the health care industry in some form or another. It also hosted the world's fair in 1974. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expo_%2774

Job market seems to be stagnant in just about every private sector and the wages tend to be lower than industry averages.

No, I don't live there but I've interviewed for a couple jobs there and have family that have operated their own business there for 25 years.

Edited by Chrishil54 on Jan 18th 2017 at 04:14 PM
Jan 18th 2017, 06:52 PM   #3
 Josh's Avatar
 
  Jul 2016
  The Couv

I'm from Spokane originally and moved to Vancouver, WA 3 years ago for work.


Unless you have a job lined up, I would not recommend moving to Spokane because good jobs are few and far between.
Jan 18th 2017, 07:07 PM   #4
 TimberMoto's Avatar
 
  Jan 2016
  Salem, Oregon

  Supermoto Dreaming...
Thanks Josh. I am over the rain here. Spokane looked like a good choice because of proximity to northern Idaho & the fact that it's only an hour flight back to Portland to visit family. The housing is much more affordable there as well. Though that is clearly related to the economy.

Sent via HTC One_M8
Jan 19th 2017, 10:54 AM   #5
LRT
 
  Jan 2017
  Spokane

ill send you a PM.. I just moved here.
Jan 19th 2017, 11:02 AM   #6
 Nathan's Avatar
 
  Jan 2016
  space needle

http://www.bestplaces.net/crime/city/washington/spokane
Jan 19th 2017, 11:57 AM   #7
LRT
 
  Jan 2017
  Spokane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan
That is all relative to where you live. Dont expect to relocate to a bad part of town and expect it to be good.

There are bad pockets of in every mid to large cities. I live in the burbs.

Visit before you move.. map the areas you like to see yourself living in.
Jan 19th 2017, 01:15 PM   #8
 Nathan's Avatar
 
  Jan 2016
  space needle

Are the kids still wilding in downtown Spokane? That was a big problem a few years ago...
Jan 19th 2017, 01:32 PM   #9
LRT
 
  Jan 2017
  Spokane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan
Are the kids still wilding in downtown Spokane? That was a big problem a few years ago...

IDK I live far north of Spokane. I'm in my late 30's and dont go downtown much. Few times to bars and dinner.

I did not see any gang activity. I'm from Bay area CA.. lived in bad neighborhoods. ie hayward, oakland. So whatever gang activity there is here is nothing compared.

Like I mentioned different pockets. Hillyard, I drove around in is not where I want to live. But a street or block down the neighborhood is fine.

I think there are better places to live if your single and in your 20's. Because there is nothing really to do here. My sole hobby is motorcycles and due to weather its a bit depressing.

I would think fishing is a lot better here but the few times I went out its not the greatest.

One thing I do notice is there are many shady looking characters. Like they are up to no good. And they are randomly all over the place. ie tweekers.
They dont mess with me and I dont mess with them. Concealed carry in WA is a plus.
Jan 19th 2017, 02:33 PM   #10
 Josh's Avatar
 
  Jul 2016
  The Couv

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimberMoto
Thanks Josh. I am over the rain here. Spokane looked like a good choice because of proximity to northern Idaho & the fact that it's only an hour flight back to Portland to visit family. The housing is much more affordable there as well. Though that is clearly related to the economy.

Sent via HTC One_M8
I don't know what your financial situation is or age or career but there are much better opportunities on the west side. The weather is much nicer here in SW Washington too....at least it has been the last 3 years I've lived here.

It sounds like you're not too interested in Portland area...maybe give Vancouver a try? I live in Brush Prairie and it is a nice balance, my commute to work is 20 minutes, there are jobs here, there are 2 East/West highways and 2 North South Freeways...Spokane only has 1 East/West and no north/south...Spokane has much worse crime as well.

I do have to admit, I have been watching for an engineering position in Spokane for 2 years now but haven't seen anything. I do miss all my friends back home.
Jan 19th 2017, 02:39 PM   #11
 Josh's Avatar
 
  Jul 2016
  The Couv

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRT
I would think fishing is a lot better here but the few times I went out its not the greatest.
There are tons of lakes and rivers in that area, u just need to know what to do and where to go

Trout, kokanee, walleye, bass, catfish, crappie...etc!

It really helps to have a little aluminum boat with a trolling motor.
Jan 19th 2017, 03:16 PM   #12
LRT
 
  Jan 2017
  Spokane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh
There are tons of lakes and rivers in that area, u just need to know what to do and where to go

Trout, kokanee, walleye, bass, catfish, crappie...etc!

It really helps to have a little aluminum boat with a trolling motor.
Yes.. I caught trout, crappie, Kokanee.. First time I ever had Kokanee.

I have a kayak. Generally used it for ocean fishing.. Maybe its not as thrilling catching small fish. Ill try again this year.
Jan 19th 2017, 05:26 PM   #13
 TimberMoto's Avatar
 
  Jan 2016
  Salem, Oregon

  Supermoto Dreaming...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh
I don't know what your financial situation is or age or career but there are much better opportunities on the west side. The weather is much nicer here in SW Washington too....at least it has been the last 3 years I've lived here.

It sounds like you're not too interested in Portland area...maybe give Vancouver a try? I live in Brush Prairie and it is a nice balance, my commute to work is 20 minutes, there are jobs here, there are 2 East/West highways and 2 North South Freeways...Spokane only has 1 East/West and no north/south...Spokane has much worse crime as well.

I do have to admit, I have been watching for an engineering position in Spokane for 2 years now but haven't seen anything. I do miss all my friends back home.
I'm in my mid 40's and working on an IT cert to move away from transportation based jobs. I have looked at Vancouver, but I want to buy, not rent. It's just as much out of my price range as the Portland area. I would also like a dryer climate as well. Spokane is probably out now due to the job market.
Josh likes this.

Edited by TimberMoto on Jan 19th 2017 at 09:40 PM
Jan 20th 2017, 08:41 AM   #14
LRT
 
  Jan 2017
  Spokane

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimberMoto
I'm in my mid 40's and working on an IT cert to move away from transportation based jobs. I have looked at Vancouver, but I want to buy, not rent. It's just as much out of my price range as the Portland area. I would also like a dryer climate as well. Spokane is probably out now due to the job market.
Its not a buyers market in Spokane right now. Not when I got here last march also. I visited in in Nov. 2015 it was about 20% less for homes. I looked at 30 different homes before I bought. It was also a lot higher than my planned budget. Home prices are on the rise just about everywhere. It takes about 3-4 years for Spokane to catch up from CA, in price incline.

Many people are relocating everywhere including me to get into a home.
I am a believer the bubble is going to burst soon. I didnt buy truly for investing. I bought because I want a home to live in.

If you like where you live now and believe you can find the job you are happy with, save and wait. Market will drop and buy. I rented A condo in 2008 when the bubble burst in CA. The real estate said I can afford this condo if I wanted to buy. Mortgage would be less than what I would pay for rent. 160k. 2 years later when my landlord decided to sell, he got 425k for it.

Live and learn and I feel I'm always missing the boat. Since I bought here in spokane. Home prices are even a bit higher 10-15% in my area.
MotoDan likes this.
Jan 20th 2017, 10:01 AM   #15
 TimberMoto's Avatar
 
  Jan 2016
  Salem, Oregon

  Supermoto Dreaming...
I really haven't been happy in Oregon for awhile now. The two main reasons are weather and job market. I came here after living in Utah, and before that I was in Vegas for the better part of 15 years. While I don't miss 100+ degree temps, I do miss the lower cost of living and how much home you get for your money. Though SLC home prices are way up. I guess it's difficult to find a combination of decent weather, mountains and reasonable home prices, lol.
Reply

  PNW Moto > Washington > Spokane

Tags
spokane



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rides in Spokane and Idaho area LRT Spokane 19 Jan 17th 2017 05:24 AM
Event: Spokane Dyno Weekend 9/23-25/16 jared p Spokane 7 Sep 13th 2016 06:24 PM
Spokane Raceway Park July 24 idahochris Spokane 2 Jul 22nd 2016 09:44 AM
No activity in Spokane anymore. late apex Spokane 15 Mar 31st 2016 12:16 AM
Howdy from Spokane revrdmark New Users 10 Feb 8th 2016 01:56 PM




Copyright © 2018 PNW Moto. All rights reserved.