Instagram     

Go Back   PNW Moto > PNW Moto > Ride Reports

Ride Reports Ride reports and pictures of your motorcycle riding adventures

Like Tree6Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Feb 28th 2017, 09:33 AM   #1
 Sentinel's Avatar
 
  Jun 2016
  Poor Tortured

  2015 Kawasaki Concours 14 - The Origame Sea-Dragon
Route recommendations

So now that I have the Ultimate Touring Bike I need to plan a trip to break it in.
Seems like something heading south would be better for early season.
So - good fun roads, a nice place to stay, interesting things to see, and maybe some cool coffee spots to stop at on the way.

I bet someone has had such a trip.

Maps, anyone?
Feb 28th 2017, 10:07 AM   #2
bcj
 bcj's Avatar
 
  Jan 2016
  teh rock

  K1200RS SV650
The coast is going to be a complete poo-show this spring with all the washouts.
Inland to the Sierras is going to be ick-ish for most of the same reasons.

Canada Park Pass?
Feb 28th 2017, 10:19 AM   #3
 Sentinel's Avatar
 
  Jun 2016
  Poor Tortured

  2015 Kawasaki Concours 14 - The Origame Sea-Dragon
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcj
The coast is going to be a complete poo-show this spring with all the washouts.
Inland to the Sierras is going to be ick-ish for most of the same reasons.

Canada Park Pass?
I ordered mine online a couple of days ago.
I have the WA EDL for border crossing.
Maybe that's the answer.
What about US 20 and US 2 over toward the dam, into Montana, and out that way? I've never been out there?
Feb 28th 2017, 11:36 AM   #4
 jared p's Avatar
 
  Jan 2016
  here

  there
how many days do you have, how many miles can you / do you want to cover in a day?
DJ LARS likes this.
Feb 28th 2017, 02:36 PM   #5
 Sentinel's Avatar
 
  Jun 2016
  Poor Tortured

  2015 Kawasaki Concours 14 - The Origame Sea-Dragon
Quote:
Originally Posted by jared p
how many days do you have, how many miles can you / do you want to cover in a day?
I want to do an overnighter first. I don't know how far I want to ride in a day. I am thinking maybe 600 max. It's not a race. I'd like to stop for meals and interesting spots, but I don't like need to take a nap or anything. Not yet at least. I don't mind riding a bit after dinner, and I like to hit the road early.

I want to do a multi (4 or 5) day ride in June, and then maybe another in July or August.

Probably want to do at least one more overnighter in September before it starts to cool off again.

This year I want to use up my leave from work in the summer instead of taking Fridays off in the fall and winter just so I don't lose it.
Feb 28th 2017, 04:01 PM   #6
 Willow's Avatar
 
  Jan 2016
  Silverdale, WA

  848evo, DRZ400SM, XR100
Here's a couple routes to Spokane that I've enjoyed doing. Best time is summer when roads are pretty clear of debris

1st: https://goo.gl/maps/wgARmPL26ED2

2nd: https://goo.gl/maps/VEoffkqBrB62
You get a cool free ferry ride across the Columbia in this route.

Those are a couple off the top of my head that are close.
Feb 28th 2017, 04:36 PM   #7
 uhoh's Avatar
 
  Jan 2016
  Tri-Cities, dry side of Washington

  Kawasaki C-14
I'd suggest a weeks vacation in first 3 weeks of May - riding towards southern half of Utah.
Late May to Sept 1 is vacation season with more crowds everywhere.

Where are you starting from?
Feb 28th 2017, 04:42 PM   #8
 elSueco's Avatar
 
  Feb 2016
  Seattle

  ZX14 Barking Spider
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willow
Here's a couple routes to Spokane that I've enjoyed doing. Best time is summer when roads are pretty clear of debris

1st: https://goo.gl/maps/wgARmPL26ED2

2nd: https://goo.gl/maps/VEoffkqBrB62
You get a cool free ferry ride across the Columbia in this route.

Those are a couple off the top of my head that are close.
I like Option 1. The ferry is cool, but as I recall, the Colville reservation is pretty desolate. There's a neat little county campground on 21, north of Curlew I stayed at a couple years ago.
Feb 28th 2017, 06:43 PM   #9
 Sentinel's Avatar
 
  Jun 2016
  Poor Tortured

  2015 Kawasaki Concours 14 - The Origame Sea-Dragon
I thought about this on the map but don't know what the IRL route is like.

https://tinyurl.com/gnf2fhv
Feb 28th 2017, 06:57 PM   #10
 Arcane's Avatar
 
  Jan 2016
  Bremerton WA

  ER-6n
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Gran...m0!1m0!1m0!3e0

A nice substitute for a small portion of your ride.
Feb 28th 2017, 07:04 PM   #11
 Arcane's Avatar
 
  Jan 2016
  Bremerton WA

  ER-6n
And over on that other forum... there's the trip I did through some of that part of the world.

7/18 - 7/20 Bremerton-Leavenworth-Grand Coulee-Spokane-Newport-Colville-Winthrop-Oso-Bremerton | PNW Riders
Feb 28th 2017, 07:29 PM   #12
 elSueco's Avatar
 
  Feb 2016
  Seattle

  ZX14 Barking Spider
How about this? I hear great things about the Icefields parkway. And, after all, you have the parks pass:
https://goo.gl/maps/XU3sN43KpKm

Google might not be showing it, but the route should include Hwy 20 on the way back, with a nice stop at Diablo!

Feb 28th 2017, 07:51 PM   #13
 elSueco's Avatar
 
  Feb 2016
  Seattle

  ZX14 Barking Spider
Google isn't letting me map it at the moment, since the roads are still closed, but here's a southern WA route I love, and is great for camping along the way:

Seattle to Mt. Rainier (White River Campground/Sunrise)
to St. Helen's (Windy Ridge)
down to Carson, through Northwoods
then to Goldendale via 141 and Glenwood
down to Maryhill Stonehenge
then, up 97, through Yakima, to take 410 back to the wet side.
Feb 28th 2017, 07:54 PM   #14
 chadams66's Avatar
 
  Jan 2016
  Garden Home

  2012 Versys...'83 BMW R80 RT...Suzuki GS 450t
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentinel
I want to do an overnighter first. I don't know how far I want to ride in a day. I am thinking maybe 600 max. It's not a race. I'd like to stop for meals and interesting spots, but I don't like need to take a nap or anything. Not yet at least. I don't mind riding a bit after dinner, and I like to hit the road early.

I want to do a multi (4 or 5) day ride in June, and then maybe another in July or August.

Probably want to do at least one more overnighter in September before it starts to cool off again.

This year I want to use up my leave from work in the summer instead of taking Fridays off in the fall and winter just so I don't lose it.
I've done some early planning on a 3-5 day ride all over the southern Cascades for sometime around July...after a day on hwys. 20/126/242 into Sisters and then down to Crater Lake..day 2 looks something like this:

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Diam...0!3e0?hl=en-US

from there it's head home or for the coast...Hwy. 96 in N.Cali is a road I'm looking to ride...
Mar 4th 2017, 08:27 AM   #15
 Sentinel's Avatar
 
  Jun 2016
  Poor Tortured

  2015 Kawasaki Concours 14 - The Origame Sea-Dragon
I am also thinking about going some places most folks go AWAY from in the summer rather than heading into the crowds. You know that whole middle part of the country? I've ridden mountains and canyons, along the coast, and through the high desert my whole life. Never been to Kansas or South Dakota or Nebraska or those kind of places. I bet there's lots of empty road. Also, AirBnB looks like a great way to sleep. They have bunkhouses for less than the cost of a campsite in many places.
Reply

  PNW Moto > PNW Moto > Ride Reports

Tags
recommendations, route



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tire Change - Shop Recommendations MMcN49 Kitsap 15 Sep 5th 2017 08:05 AM
I need dining recommendations Flyboymedic Vancouver 6 May 7th 2016 09:30 AM
Brake pad recommendations CaptainAwesome Motorcycles 3 Apr 30th 2016 10:22 AM
Motorcycle Accident Lawyer Recommendations IamSailboat Seattle 1 Feb 16th 2016 04:03 PM
Motorcycle Camera Recommendations Naza Mechanical and Technical 31 Feb 10th 2016 10:19 AM




Copyright © 2018 PNW Moto. All rights reserved.