Instagram     

Go Back   PNW Moto > PNW Moto > Ride Reports

Ride Reports Ride reports and pictures of your motorcycle riding adventures

Like Tree22Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
May 12th 2016, 10:15 AM   #1
 Parilla125's Avatar
 
  Jan 2016
  SeaTac

People On The Phone

The wife and I were on 405 last Saturday and she was driving. Between Renton and I-90 I started counting.
One out of every four cars the driver was looking at a phone. -One-out-of-every-four-. On the freeway. In traffic. Shit.
Watch 'em fellow riders. The cagers are more intent on killing us than ever...
May 12th 2016, 10:55 AM   #2
 MotoDan's Avatar
 
  Apr 2016
  Olympia

  2014 KTM DUKE 690
Great point...Cell phone use while driving is bigger then anyone thinks, ask any trucker,(truckers look down in every car) about 75%+ of the vehicles are distracted, texting, surfing the net, talking..make-up, eating..
Stickman001 and albatrosscafe like this.
May 12th 2016, 11:50 AM   #3
 NavyDoc27's Avatar
 
  Apr 2016
  Port Orchard, Wa.

  2012 Honda CBR1000RR; 2013 Kawasaki Concours
Yup...I make it a habit to look at the drivers around me in attempts to anticipate any ill will. I'd say more then half the folks I peer onto are heading bobbing in/out of their phone. Reason number one while I'm riding alone I shoot through traffic and search for the largest sections in traffic that are clear to put as much space between me and them.
Candiya likes this.
May 12th 2016, 01:21 PM   #4
 
  Jan 2016
  Newcastle, WA

  1995 Suzuki Katana
I've given up on checking for phone use in particular. I just assume everyone is a user and ride accordingly, watching for the actions that a vehicle is making, no matter the root cause.

Sent via SM-N900T
May 12th 2016, 02:30 PM   #5
 curve addict's Avatar
 
  Apr 2016
  Auburn, WA

  ...1987 Yamaha FZR1000...
Oh, that's what their doing. I thought those thingies were some sort of human control module that was telling the people where to point the vehicle. I just assumed that the little machines were terrible drivers.
May 12th 2016, 04:49 PM   #6
 Chrishil54's Avatar
 
  Jan 2016
  Kirkland

  V-Star 1100 Custom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parilla125
The wife and I were on 405 last Saturday and she was driving. Between Renton and I-90 I started counting.
One out of every four cars the driver was looking at a phone. -One-out-of-every-four-. On the freeway. In traffic. Shit...
Impossible as that's against the law!

I ride that daily and see police ignoring people that are obviously using their cell phones. Heck, I've seen them ignore it in construction zones too.
May 12th 2016, 06:32 PM   #7
 IBleedOrange's Avatar
 
  Jan 2016
  Vantucky, WA

  KTM 1290 Super Adventure , KTM RC 390, KTM 350 EXC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrishil54
I ride that daily and see police ignoring people that are obviously using their cell phones. Heck, I've seen them ignore it in construction zones too.
That right there burns my balls too.

Seriously, I'd love to see cops get on a new path, where they start ticketing the shit out of infractions that are truly dangerous. Not using signals, texting, using a phone without hands free, etc.

They've gotten the habit of going after speeders far too deep into their routines. They really need to re-evaluate what is causing the injuries and death, and target that.

We're losing way too many people too soon. Bicyclists, pedestrians, motorcyclists, and motorists alike. No one is immune when some fuckwit starts texting and driving.
Stickman001 and Chrishil54 like this.
May 12th 2016, 06:53 PM   #8
 Stickman001's Avatar
 
  Jan 2016
  Portland, Oregon

  2013 ZX636R
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoDan
Great point...Cell phone use while driving is bigger then anyone thinks, ask any trucker,(truckers look down in every car) about 75%+ of the vehicles are distracted, texting, surfing the net, talking..make-up, eating..
Yep. I'm a trucker. Believe it or not, I have recently seen several people with tablets mounted to their steering wheels! WTF? Obviously the general public either just don't care what comes of it or they greatly overestimate their abilities.
albatrosscafe likes this.
May 12th 2016, 07:39 PM   #9
 
  Apr 2016
  Seattle-ish

Riding around with a GoPro for situations like these.....
https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net...86708322_o.jpg

Edit: Nvm, this forum doesn't seem to auto-resize embedded pics
May 12th 2016, 07:44 PM   #10
 Naza's Avatar
 
  Feb 2016
  Rent'n

  2002 Honda RC51, 2005 Honda RC51
yeah.. see my rant on this thread
Cager's don't know how to drive

However, a new phenomenon has risen...
Now don't get me wrong, I take a hit here and there, but I am also getting pretty fed up with the slow ass 10 under the posted speed weed smoking cagers.

I can smell it yo! I'm on a bike! Get the eff over and out of my lane!
May 12th 2016, 09:16 PM   #11
 Lena's Avatar
Forum Admin
 
  Jan 2016
  Portland

  Monsters
That's why we have 40 new unmarked police cars in Portland area and they are supposed to go solely after the cell phone users driving. I mean drivers using cell phones ...
Parilla125 and Stickman001 like this.
May 13th 2016, 05:34 AM   #12
 Parilla125's Avatar
 
  Jan 2016
  SeaTac

Quote:
Originally Posted by curve addict
Oh, that's what their doing. I thought those thingies were some sort of human control module that was telling the people where to point the vehicle. I just assumed that the little machines were terrible drivers.
The funny part of that is when you pass someone that is driving like crap and you think they are distracted and instead they are white knuckling the steering wheel and are TRYING to drive!
May 13th 2016, 11:59 AM   #13
 Cougar's Avatar
 
  Jan 2016
  Richland

  Yamaha FZ1, KTM Super Duke GT, Yamaha FJR, Yamaha XS650
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBleedOrange
That right there burns my balls too.

Seriously, I'd love to see cops get on a new path, where they start ticketing the shit out of infractions that are truly dangerous. Not using signals, texting, using a phone without hands free, etc.

They've gotten the habit of going after speeders far too deep into their routines. They really need to re-evaluate what is causing the injuries and death, and target that.

We're losing way too many people too soon. Bicyclists, pedestrians, motorcyclists, and motorists alike. No one is immune when some fuckwit starts texting and driving.
You are exactly right but ticketing speeders is more lucrative. We need to get the legislators to increase the cost of texting while driving to $1,000 per ticket for a first offense and increase it by $500 for the next ones. That will get most people to stop and provide incentive for cops to write tickets.

Follow the money!
Parilla125 and Arnbo like this.
May 13th 2016, 12:17 PM   #14
 IBleedOrange's Avatar
 
  Jan 2016
  Vantucky, WA

  KTM 1290 Super Adventure , KTM RC 390, KTM 350 EXC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar
You are exactly right but ticketing speeders is more lucrative. We need to get the legislators to increase the cost of texting while driving to $1,000 per ticket for a first offense and increase it by $500 for the next ones. That will get most people to stop and provide incentive for cops to write tickets.

Follow the money!
That's basically what I'm saying.

I'd like to see a major shift from the "what we've always done" to actually doing something good for society. If they have to tip the monetary scales in order to do that, so be it.
May 13th 2016, 12:43 PM   #15
 Parilla125's Avatar
 
  Jan 2016
  SeaTac

Yes!
Reply

  PNW Moto > PNW Moto > Ride Reports

Tags
people, phone



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Come to where the People are..here! FiftyEight New Users 8 Aug 11th 2016 06:23 AM
A good tip on how to deal with cell phone cagers! JohnnyM Motorcycles 4 Jun 22nd 2016 08:32 AM




Copyright © 2017 PNW Moto. All rights reserved.