Instagram     

Go Back   PNW Moto > PNW Moto > Ride Reports

Ride Reports Ride reports and pictures of your motorcycle riding adventures

Like Tree7Likes
  • 7 Post By FeralRdr
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Feb 7th 2016, 06:58 PM   #1
 FeralRdr's Avatar
 
  Jan 2016
  ?

Gifford Pinchot N.F. - Cougar to Carson 7 Feb 2016

Just wanted to give a shout out that the Cougar to Carson Loop is now open. There still is a lot of snow on the sides of the road; from just below the McClellan view point, to almost all the way to the fish hatchery. The view point itself is still snowed in, but Curly Creek road was mostly dry.



The Old Man Pass area however, was still pretty damp; but the temps were currently well above freezing, so there were no slick spots at the time. That's not to say that it wasn't a little chilly up top, but not horribly so.

Also, there are the remains of a tree laying across the road a few hundred yards up from the Curly Creek/FS-90 Road Jct, but it's just bark dust and small chuncks of wooden debris. It is easily seen, and though not avoidable (at the time) there was nothing present that really posed any type of risk.

Hope the info helps.
Candiya, Hammer, wooden and 4 others like this.

Edited by FeralRdr on Feb 7th 2016 at 09:09 PM
Feb 7th 2016, 07:25 PM   #2
 Rock Dodger's Avatar
 
  Feb 2016
  Washington

Great report Feral! I'm going to try to ride that route this week. It will be unique (for me) to ride it with that much snow lining the road.

BTW, unrelated comment: it's GREAT to see "the crew" here on pnwmoto!
Feb 7th 2016, 07:34 PM   #3
 ltlpagan's Avatar
 
  Jan 2016
  Vancouver WA

  2010 Ducati Monster 696
Aaron, Ron, and Chris all did this today as well. I only went to Cougar and that was cold enough for me Great to see so many bikes out!!
Feb 7th 2016, 09:00 PM   #4
 IBleedOrange's Avatar
 
  Jan 2016
  Vantucky, WA

  KTM 1290 Super Adventure , KTM RC 390, KTM 350 EXC
It was definitely sketchy up top.

At the lower altitudes though, no issues at all. I was a little bummed I couldn't get a pic in the viewpoint.
Feb 8th 2016, 06:38 AM   #5
 southpaw's Avatar
 
  Jan 2016
  Vancouver,Washington

  2014 yamaha super tenere,2003 klr
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBleedOrange
It was definitely sketchy up top.

At the lower altitudes though, no issues at all. I was a little bummed I couldn't get a pic in the viewpoint.
Where you riding a white Adventure bike with louder than stock exhaust, if so I was sitting at Pine creek Ranger Station when you went by.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltlpagan
Aaron, Ron, and Chris all did this today as well. I only went to Cougar and that was cold enough for me Great to see so many bikes out!!
Did your group bounce back and forth across the road looking for food, and one had a bright green helmet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeralRdr
Just wanted to give a shout out that the Cougar to Carson Loop is now open. There still is a lot of snow on the sides of the road; from just below the McClellan view point, to almost all the way to the fish hatchery. The view point itself is still snowed in, but Curly Creek road was mostly dry.



The Old Man Pass area however, was still pretty damp; but the temps were currently well above freezing, so there were no slick spots at the time. That's not to say that it wasn't a little chilly up top, but not horribly so.

Also, there are the remains of a tree laying across the road a few hundred yards up from the Curly Creek/FS-90 Road Jct, but it's just bark dust and small chuncks of wooden debris. It is easily seen, and though not avoidable (at the time) there was nothing present that really posed any type of risk.

Hope the info helps.
I thought that was you going toward Pine Creek as I was headed back to Cougar, but I wasn't going to turn around and chase you up the hill just incase it wasn't you.
Feb 8th 2016, 06:50 AM   #6
 ltlpagan's Avatar
 
  Jan 2016
  Vancouver WA

  2010 Ducati Monster 696
Quote:
Originally Posted by southpaw
Did your group bounce back and forth across the road looking for food, and one had a bright green helmet.
Nope. I was riding by myself and just happened to run into Aaron (IBeeedOrange) in Cougar, and we headed back to the 'couve. I didn't feel like attempting the pass after hearing about all the snow up there. I was already freezing as it was...lol.
Feb 8th 2016, 07:04 AM   #7
 IBleedOrange's Avatar
 
  Jan 2016
  Vantucky, WA

  KTM 1290 Super Adventure , KTM RC 390, KTM 350 EXC
Quote:
Originally Posted by southpaw
Where you riding a white Adventure bike with louder than stock exhaust, if so I was sitting at Pine creek Ranger Station when you went by.
If that guy was doing anything criminal it wasn't me.
Feb 8th 2016, 12:25 PM   #8
 Instig8R1's Avatar
 
  Jan 2016
  Battle Ground

  R1 and DRZ400
[IMG][/IMG]

There was snow in them thar hills!!!

Nice day tho.
Feb 10th 2016, 01:20 PM   #9
 holypiston's Avatar
 
  Jan 2016
  Vancouver, WA

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBleedOrange
If that guy was doing anything criminal it wasn't me.
I saw a katoom have "front end" problems across the green bridge the other day.

Just sayin'
Feb 24th 2016, 01:32 PM   #10
 Mikeames's Avatar
 
  Jan 2016
  Blaine, WA

  2012 Yamaha FJR1300
Update:
Road the loop yesterday (2/23/2016) with five others.
While the path is technically open, I should point out that a significant chunk of the highest elevation sections had some areas where what looked like recent snows had not melted and there were definitely some icy spots. We crawled along through several miles of these icy spots, wiggling along in the relatively clear ruts that cars had left. It was quite and adventure. Unfortunately most of the good stuff (curves) were at the least very wet, with long sections of light snow, slush, and black ice. Kind of a bummer...but always better than sitting on the couch!
Just a little sunny or warm weather may clear this up...but I just wanted to throw out a word of caution...Spring ain't quite here yet.
Reply

  PNW Moto > PNW Moto > Ride Reports

Tags
2016, carson, cougar, feb, gifford, pinchot



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Planning Info: Gifford Pinchot Area - Fuel, Mileage, and Routes FeralRdr Vancouver 24 Jul 13th 2018 10:34 AM
411 Mile Day Ride to Gifford Pinchot National Forest MMcN49 Adventure Riding 2 May 16th 2016 06:40 AM
Carson Cougar Area Info FS 90-FS 23 Bugaboo Ride Reports 5 Apr 30th 2016 04:15 PM
Motorcycle Ride: Cougar/Carson Friday 4/15 jedijesus Portland 37 Apr 19th 2016 12:11 AM
Motorcycle Ride: Carson-Cougar loop ltlpagan Vancouver 9 Apr 2nd 2016 07:48 AM




Copyright © 2019 PNW Moto. All rights reserved.