Instagram     

Go Back   PNW Moto > Oregon > Portland

Portland Rides, meetups, regional discussions | Portland, Salem, Hermiston, Astoria

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Ralgha
  • 2 Post By Burphel
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Apr 5th 2019, 02:25 PM   #1
 Oregon Motorcycle's Avatar
 
  Mar 2019
  oregon

Tool Exchange, Rental, Borrow?

Hey guys. I need a carb/TB sync kit. I was going to buy one (60-100 bucks), but thought of asking around first. So does anyone have one I can borrow or rent? If not does anyone know of a shop that loans tools? Anyone want to hang out and drink beer and sync my TB's?? lol
Apr 5th 2019, 03:50 PM   #2
 
  Jan 2016
  Portland

You can make your own tool cheaply and easily, there are a few different ways to do it, I made one like this.
Riki5156 likes this.
Apr 5th 2019, 04:59 PM   #3
 unicykle's Avatar
 
  Sep 2017
  milwaukie oregon

  gsxr600 gsxr750 gsxr1000 i like gsxrs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralgha
You can make your own tool cheaply and easily, there are a few different ways to do it, I made one like this.
Thats nice and all but hed have to try and hold 4 glass bottles, the throttle and adjust the carbs, id say if your planning on owning carburated bikes buy the tool its still cheaper than having it done and youll have it if you ever need
It down the road.
Apr 5th 2019, 05:43 PM   #4
 
  Apr 2016
  WA

Quote:
Originally Posted by unicykle
Thats nice and all but hed have to try and hold 4 glass bottles, the throttle and adjust the carbs, id say if your planning on owning carburated bikes buy the tool its still cheaper than having it done and youll have it if you ever need
It down the road.
Throttle bodies need to be synchronized as well.
Apr 5th 2019, 07:08 PM   #5
 Burphel's Avatar
 
  Jan 2016
  Travelling around the NW

  Triumph Bonnezilla
Might check with these guys. Rent-a-shop type place in PDX. Haven't been there myself, but I love the idea, so I've been following them on Facebonk.

https://www.portlandmoto.org/
Apr 5th 2019, 07:52 PM   #6
 
  Jan 2016
  Portland

You don't hold the bottles, just set them on the floor, you can do it with just tubing and cardboard too, many different ways. Works fine, you don't need a fancy tool, but it's fine to use one.
Apr 6th 2019, 02:38 AM   #7
 Oregon Motorcycle's Avatar
 
  Mar 2019
  oregon

Thanks guys. My neighbor was telling me about using bottles and oil...

I figured I spend as much T&M trying the bottle method, I might as well just source the correct tool.

I’m going to contact the DIY garage and see what they say. That place sounds pretty cool and I need a haircut ��
Apr 6th 2019, 08:13 AM   #8
 unicykle's Avatar
 
  Sep 2017
  milwaukie oregon

  gsxr600 gsxr750 gsxr1000 i like gsxrs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanthegreat1
Throttle bodies need to be synchronized as well.
They do but but not like a high mileage 20+ year old carburated bikes that have been literally screwed with , fi is almost maint free compared to carbs, i had a Back to back carb nightmares on an old vmax and a fz1 i had and by the time i got them fixed i swore off carburated bikes unless its single cylinder. And having the right tools usualy makes the job easier.
Apr 6th 2019, 09:23 AM   #9
 Oregon Motorcycle's Avatar
 
  Mar 2019
  oregon

Quote:
Originally Posted by unicykle
They do but but not like a high mileage 20+ year old carburated bikes that have been literally screwed with , fi is almost maint free compared to carbs, i had a Back to back carb nightmares on an old vmax and a fz1 i had and by the time i got them fixed i swore off carburated bikes unless its single cylinder. And having the right tools usualy makes the job easier.
Just to be clear, my bike is FI.
Apr 6th 2019, 11:22 AM   #10
 Sentinel's Avatar
 
  Jun 2016
  Poor Tortured

  2013 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Harlequin
I think a neighborhood moto garage is an excellent idea. stands, tools, a tire stand, a few material items like oil and common filters, nuts and bolts hanging around, and a modest fee to work on your ride. that would be totally useful. Lots of guys living in apartments or barracks and can't do their own maintenance, paying hundreds for an oil change.

it would be a fun place to just hang out.

why we don't have that here?
Apr 6th 2019, 11:31 AM   #11
 Oregon Motorcycle's Avatar
 
  Mar 2019
  oregon

I just talked to the DIY shop. They have a few different sync tools that can all be used for 15/hr. You can use all their tools, or bring and use your own. I'll be checking this place out as soon as we get some decent weather. Thanks again!
Reply

  PNW Moto > Oregon > Portland

Tags
borrow, exchange, rental, tool



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Where have I seen this Tool Before? HalcyonSon Motorcycles 1 Jun 5th 2017 03:48 PM
For Sale: Want to buy or borrow 1994 Yamaha FZR 1000 relay Motorbiker Classifieds 8 Jan 28th 2017 07:21 AM
Borrow Tools? - Ducati 1198 knutsonbm Seattle 4 Aug 17th 2016 02:54 PM
Anyone have a bike I can borrow? galenernest Vancouver 14 Mar 6th 2016 04:14 AM




Copyright © 2019 PNW Moto. All rights reserved.