Instagram     

Go Back   PNW Moto > Oregon > Portland

Portland Rides, meetups, regional discussions | Portland, Salem, Hermiston, Astoria

Like Tree45Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Jan 28th 2019, 07:00 PM   #16
 liberpolly's Avatar
 
  Jan 2016
  Seattle

  Ducati Diavel, Aprilia Scarabeo
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunofnun
I love the Haibike! I think its the best design out there..
I have been looking at them for the last couple years.

So close to pulling the trigger!

How is the battery?
How much range can you get?
Can you swap batteries?
Yes you can swap batteries. I haven't run out yet, the furthest I went was about 20 miles up and down some seriously steep hills. I usually run out of juice before the battery does All in all awesome bike, the absence of throttle keeps me honest and pedaling even on max assist... Love the double suspension and fattish tires on the broken Seattle roads.

Bought it last year on a winter sale, huge difference in price! So don't delay if you see one on sale online.
Jan 30th 2019, 10:26 AM   #17
 albatrosscafe's Avatar
 
  Jan 2016
  Issaquah

  2015 Yamaha FZ-07
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanthegreat1
I have never found 2 wheels to be an easier mode of transportation. Never mind cost.

I suspect the group they are speaking about are not of high maturity and probably live in a fair weather state which may or may not have helmet requirements. Bike can live outside year round and they have minimal if any gear to put on before setting off. Probably on corded tires and dry chains.

Cages are far superior in ease of transportation accept maybe that parking part. And maybe lane splitting where legal.

EDIT: Those interviewed have probably never owned a bike and have not a clue.
I'm a Millenial (27 years old). I bought my bike for the exact reason put forth in this article. I also ride year-round in the Bellevue area of WA, even in winter.

I had a Yamaha Raider (big 1900cc Harley-ish cruiser). It was a fun bike and I loved the style, but it wasn't very easy to drive around because it was 8.5 feet long and got 30mpg. And I felt bad getting it dirty because of how badass it was.

I traded it in for a Yamaha FZ-07. $7000 bike out the door. Cheap, good on gas, maintenance is a breeze, small and nimble, easy to park, etc. It is TOTALLY for ease of use in commuting. It is so much more pleasant to deal with traffic and parking on a motorcycle. Really makes up for having to get dressed with my astronaut suit every morning.

Basically, my point is that my personal experience is exactly the opposite of your speculation lol
Jan 31st 2019, 07:30 AM   #18
 Texasl's Avatar
Moderator
 
  Jan 2016
  Northeast Olalla

  07 Guzzi
Quote:
Originally Posted by albatrosscafe
I'm a Millenial (27 years old).

I traded it in for a Yamaha FZ-07. $7000 bike out the door. Cheap, good on gas, maintenance is a breeze, small and nimble, easy to park, etc. It is TOTALLY for ease of use in commuting. It is so much more pleasant to deal with traffic and parking on a motorcycle. Really makes up for having to get dressed with my astronaut suit every morning.
That type of bike is way to dangerous for a child, so as a public service I will force myself to come over and save you from yourself, by taking custody of it.

No charge.
albatrosscafe likes this.
Jan 31st 2019, 12:14 PM   #19
 
  Apr 2016
  WA

Quote:
Originally Posted by albatrosscafe
I'm a Millenial (27 years old). I bought my bike for the exact reason put forth in this article. I also ride year-round in the Bellevue area of WA, even in winter.

I had a Yamaha Raider (big 1900cc Harley-ish cruiser). It was a fun bike and I loved the style, but it wasn't very easy to drive around because it was 8.5 feet long and got 30mpg. And I felt bad getting it dirty because of how badass it was.

I traded it in for a Yamaha FZ-07. $7000 bike out the door. Cheap, good on gas, maintenance is a breeze, small and nimble, easy to park, etc. It is TOTALLY for ease of use in commuting. It is so much more pleasant to deal with traffic and parking on a motorcycle. Really makes up for having to get dressed with my astronaut suit every morning.

Basically, my point is that my personal experience is exactly the opposite of your speculation lol
I am also in the age bracket mentioned. Just a couple years older than you.

Motorcycles for commuting for me are a pain and take away from the enjoyment of riding. Highway miles suck on the bike. On my commute I don't contend with traffic and parking is readily available.

I think they need to be more specific about their demographic. You are in a very urban environment with rather dense population. I commute out into the sticks with very low density populations. Do I wish I were on 2 wheels for some parts of my commute? Oh hell yes but that is maybe 5-10% of the distance. Not enough to make motorcycles easier or worth while. Different strokes for different folks.
albatrosscafe likes this.
Apr 7th 2019, 07:41 AM   #20
 JayFree's Avatar
 
  Apr 2019
  Swisshome

  Nunya
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasl
I don't really blame the millennials for the decline of the Bar and Shield market, I blame the people at H-D. The younger market is rightly looking to more light and nimble offerings at a more reasonable (or less onerous, depending on your point of view) price point, and although H-D does have the Street series, the entry point is still at the $6,900 level for a 500 and jumps up to $7,600 and above to get a 750.

The bottom line? H-D is still pretty obtuse when it comes to actually developing new market options.
Not to mention HD makes GARBAGE bikes. Just sayin.
Apr 7th 2019, 08:40 AM   #21
 Sentinel's Avatar
 
  Jun 2016
  Poor Tortured

  2013 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Harlequin
the "new" HD's are an embarrassment.
that said - I've had several HD's and all of them were reliable, leak-proof, and no fun at all.

i am thinking whether it is better to get an electric bicycle thingy for commuting or a scooter.

something like a pxc150 gets REALLY good mileage and should last forever.

but an electric bicycle - you can take it on the ferry for the price of a walk-on. can't you?
Apr 7th 2019, 10:28 AM   #22
 Parilla125's Avatar
 
  Jan 2016
  SeaTac

I have always preferred motorcycles for both commuting and long distance riding. I have a routine for getting ready that happens pretty fast. Then the motorcycle ‘creates’ time. I sometimes arrive at my destination before I even left! Being able to use the carpool lane is awesome. Parking is great for the most part.
I have had a few HD’s and found the newer ones to be good. HD does need to figure out something to lure the younger riders so they will come and buy the bigger bikes when they want to tour. A scooter ‘may’ work. I have had a few small scooters, which were fun. I picked up a 2015 Yamaha TMAX 530 Sport Scooter and it is AWESOME! My R3 is more nimble and is smaller but the TMAX has much better protection in the weather. And it is quicker. Loves me some scooter for commuting or longer trips! The auto is really great in traffic and Seattle traffic.
Like I told a guy at work yesterday, I can’t say enough good about it. Very addicting!
Apr 8th 2019, 06:30 AM   #23
bcj
 bcj's Avatar
 
  Jan 2016
  teh rock

  K1200RS SV650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentinel
but an electric bicycle - you can take it on the ferry for the price of a walk-on. can't you?
Not sure about the Columbia River ferries.
On Washington routes, it varies.
Most are Passenger Fare + $1 Bicycle Surcharge. Collected on the east side.
Port Townsend is Passenger + $.50.

On some of the San Juan routes it's Passenger + $6 in peak season.
Apr 8th 2019, 12:57 PM   #24
 liberpolly's Avatar
 
  Jan 2016
  Seattle

  Ducati Diavel, Aprilia Scarabeo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parilla125
I have always preferred motorcycles for both commuting and long distance riding. I have a routine for getting ready that happens pretty fast. Then the motorcycle ‘creates’ time. I sometimes arrive at my destination before I even left! Being able to use the carpool lane is awesome. Parking is great for the most part.
I have had a few HD’s and found the newer ones to be good. HD does need to figure out something to lure the younger riders so they will come and buy the bigger bikes when they want to tour. A scooter ‘may’ work. I have had a few small scooters, which were fun. I picked up a 2015 Yamaha TMAX 530 Sport Scooter and it is AWESOME! My R3 is more nimble and is smaller but the TMAX has much better protection in the weather. And it is quicker. Loves me some scooter for commuting or longer trips! The auto is really great in traffic and Seattle traffic.
Like I told a guy at work yesterday, I can’t say enough good about it. Very addicting!
For commuting in Seattle, my 50cc two-stroke Aprilia is just about ideal. And it was less than $1000 on craigslist! I don't know how Harley is going to beat that...
Parilla125 and Flyboymedic like this.
Apr 8th 2019, 01:00 PM   #25
 liberpolly's Avatar
 
  Jan 2016
  Seattle

  Ducati Diavel, Aprilia Scarabeo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentinel
the "new" HD's are an embarrassment.
that said - I've had several HD's and all of them were reliable, leak-proof, and no fun at all.

i am thinking whether it is better to get an electric bicycle thingy for commuting or a scooter.

something like a pxc150 gets REALLY good mileage and should last forever.

but an electric bicycle - you can take it on the ferry for the price of a walk-on. can't you?
Fast ferry to Bremerton disallows electric bicycles.
Parilla125 likes this.
Apr 8th 2019, 06:26 PM   #26
 Sentinel's Avatar
 
  Jun 2016
  Poor Tortured

  2013 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Harlequin
Quote:
Originally Posted by liberpolly
Fast ferry to Bremerton disallows electric bicycles.
'the fuck?

where does the money-trail lead on THAT decision?
Parilla125 likes this.
Apr 9th 2019, 04:34 AM   #27
 Texasl's Avatar
Moderator
 
  Jan 2016
  Northeast Olalla

  07 Guzzi
Quote:
Originally Posted by liberpolly
Fast ferry to Bremerton disallows electric bicycles.
Can you cite your references?
Apr 9th 2019, 05:55 AM   #28
 Sentinel's Avatar
 
  Jun 2016
  Poor Tortured

  2013 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Harlequin
Kitsap Transit's site says you can't even BRING an electric bicycle onboard because they can't figure out how much they weigh. Swear. That's what they say. And it's not even an actual sentence. I mean, read it - it makes no sense and they are using words that I recognize but not in a way that I can decipher. "Uncertainty to weight ratios"? What is that? Passenger to bike ratio? Their boat operates "within" a weight ratio? WTF?

What about backpacks? Don't they introduce about one electric bike's uncertainty to the passenger's weight? And what about different size humans? Do they weigh people? I call bullshit, and renew my original question - where does the money trail lead on this? Who's ox is at risk of puncture?
***
Q: Can I bring an electric bicycle aboard?


A: No, electric bicycles are not permitted on the Rich Passage 1 because they introduce uncertainty to the weight ratios within which the vessel needs to operate.
***
Fast Ferry FAQs | Kitsap Transit
albatrosscafe likes this.

Edited by Sentinel on Apr 9th 2019 at 05:59 AM
Apr 9th 2019, 07:02 AM   #29
 coastrider's Avatar
 
  Jan 2016
  Oregon Coast

  2017 BMW R1200RT
> Kitsap Transit's site says you can't even BRING an electric bicycle onboard because they can't figure out how much they weigh.

When I saw the comments about no electric bikes on ferries I was curious and also went to the web to learn more.

This stated reason is nuts. The US population is gaining weight over time. I understand that airlines have had to adjust the estimated weight per person upward over time when making their weight and balance calculation.

In my experience the typical bicycle rider weights a lot less than the typical non-rider. I would bet that ten bike riders plus bikes (even electric bikes) don't weigh much more than than ten non-riders pulled at random off the street. And as far as I know they don't weigh the vehicles getting on the ferry. The weight difference between one diesel pickup and a small pickup we be greater than all the electric bikes that might show up on a ferry. Talk about a senseless blow to alternate methods of transportation....
Apr 9th 2019, 07:36 AM   #30
 Parilla125's Avatar
 
  Jan 2016
  SeaTac

Quote:
Originally Posted by liberpolly
Fast ferry to Bremerton disallows electric bicycles.
Some of this crap just makes you go "What?", particularly when you read the reason for the decision. Weight? Really? I pay the same if I ride my 800 lb Kawi big twin or my 300+ lb Yami R3, and you are going to eliminate an electric bike because you can't figure the weight? Makes you realize the common sense struggle is real.
Reply

  PNW Moto > Oregon > Portland

Tags
#%@#, millennials



Thread Tools
Display Modes





Copyright © 2019 PNW Moto. All rights reserved.