Instagram     

Go Back   PNW Moto > Oregon > Portland

Portland Rides, meetups, regional discussions | Portland, Salem, Hermiston, Astoria

Like Tree49Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Mar 10th 2017, 10:19 PM   #31
 liberpolly's Avatar
 
  Jan 2016
  Seattle

  Ducati Diavel, Triumph Street Twin
I was line splitting today for about an hour all over Seattle. Got yelled at twice. People are not ready :/
Mar 11th 2017, 07:40 AM   #32
 larsvons's Avatar
 
  Jan 2016
  PDX

  '15 KLZ1000BFF (BEST FRANDS 4EVER!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by liberpolly
I was line splitting today for about an hour all over Seattle. Got yelled at twice. People are not ready :/
Well, no, of course they aren't. The idea that splitting is a legitimate practice is still a fringe belief among motorcyclists, themselves a an admittedly fringe group. With any passed bill in either state would have to come an awareness and education campaign for drivers. People will have to learn that it's allowed, and how to handle it. Similarly to how Portlanders have (sort of) learned to look right for bicycles before turning right.
Mar 11th 2017, 08:03 AM   #33
 
  Jan 2016
  Portland

Quote:
Originally Posted by liberpolly
I was line splitting today for about an hour all over Seattle. Got yelled at twice. People are not ready :/
Well it is illegal, can't really blame people for getting upset that you're breaking the law...
Mar 11th 2017, 09:53 AM   #34
 liberpolly's Avatar
 
  Jan 2016
  Seattle

  Ducati Diavel, Triumph Street Twin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralgha
Well it is illegal, can't really blame people for getting upset that you're breaking the law...
While themselves breaking the law by looking at their phones while driving? People don't get upset about breaking the law, they get upset when somebody tries to climb out of their crab bucket. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crab_mentality
Hachi likes this.
Mar 11th 2017, 10:18 AM   #35
 
  Jan 2016
  Portland

Quote:
Originally Posted by liberpolly
While themselves breaking the law by looking at their phones while driving? People don't get upset about breaking the law, they get upset when somebody tries to climb out of their crab bucket. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crab_mentality
That makes them hypocrites, it does not make splitting legal. While I happen to agree with the crab mentality you reference in relation to other peoples' reaction to lane splitting, it also does not make splitting legal, so they're still justified in getting angry about it.

Get it legalized, then you can rant about peoples' reaction to it.
Mar 11th 2017, 10:35 AM   #36
 WarpShatner7's Avatar
 
  Jan 2016
  Stumpy Puddleton

  R1200ST, CB350
Quote:
Originally Posted by liberpolly
I was line splitting today for about an hour all over Seattle. Got yelled at twice. People are not ready :/
It's a good thing people don't leave themselves any space in front at traffic lights, or some of them in addition to yelling would jink the nose of their car over and block you. That's happened to me when using the shoulder to escape a tailback on a secondary road... people tend to be less bumper-to-bumper when slowing to unexplained stoppages than for traffic lights. You get some nut who catches sight of you in his rearview and starts honking and screaming and trying to block you.

[Aside: BTW, is there a word for it when someone slows right down, we're talking low single-digit speeds, for no other reason than to mess with you? Made a left on onto Vancouver Ave some months ago doing no particular speed and ended up behind a guy in a Volkswagen Tuuargrleagllrebargle or whatever their larger SUV is called, who immediately -- not in response to anything I did except, y'know, exist -- brake-checked and stayed that way. We crawled along for most of a block at the kind of speed where you have to concentrate to even stay upright. There was nobody else around, no cars or bikes or peds, but it was effective because it's one way, single lane plus bike lane there. I finally scooted past him in the bike lane because the way I read his psychology is that he'd physically block me if I went to the left but he wouldn't cross a white line to block me on the right. It was obvious he was watching me like a hawk because he was standing on his horn from the instant I went for it. He got a nice gloved finger from my free hand on the way past. Interesting how he found the accelerator the moment I wasn't behind him anymore. No idea what his problem was. Not old, professional looking in a very clean and somewhat expensive car.]
Mar 11th 2017, 11:26 AM   #37
 VeritasImageryNW's Avatar
 
  Jan 2016
  Allyn, WA

  '06 HD Street Bob, '85 Yamaha FJ600, '99 Honda CBR600f4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralgha
Well it is illegal, can't really blame people for getting upset that you're breaking the law...
Add to that, you're just adding to the negative attitudes regarding it by doing it illegally. And, you are strengthening the public's image that motorcyclists are anti-social, law breaking, punks.
Mar 11th 2017, 04:50 PM   #38
 liberpolly's Avatar
 
  Jan 2016
  Seattle

  Ducati Diavel, Triumph Street Twin
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeritasImageryNW
Add to that, you're just adding to the negative attitudes regarding it by doing it illegally. And, you are strengthening the public's image that motorcyclists are anti-social, law breaking, punks.
There's zero proof of this causation hypothesis.
Mar 11th 2017, 04:58 PM   #39
 liberpolly's Avatar
 
  Jan 2016
  Seattle

  Ducati Diavel, Triumph Street Twin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralgha
That makes them hypocrites, it does not make splitting legal. While I happen to agree with the crab mentality you reference in relation to other peoples' reaction to lane splitting, it also does not make splitting legal
Sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralgha
so they're still justified in getting angry about it.
Except that their anger has nothing to do with the legality of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralgha
Get it legalized, then you can rant about peoples' reaction to it.
I can rant about whatever I want, it's a free country. I ranted about marijuana when it was still illegal, I rant about heroin while it's still illegal, and I will keep ranting about police brutality even though it's sorta legal. And I will rant about this fucking rain so I am posting this instead of riding! And yes, I do ride in the rain to work, but that's different.

More importantly, I wasn't ranting about people's attitudes. I was making an observation, which is not likely to change fast if the law passes.

Normally I don't line split, just filter. I did it out of curiosity.
Gremlin and Hachi like this.
Mar 11th 2017, 05:55 PM   #40
 
  Jun 2016
  Portland area

TED talks, monkey cucumber experiment. Happens to motos all the time in CA.
liberpolly and mgfchapin like this.
Mar 16th 2017, 09:31 AM   #41
 
  May 2016
  Milwaukie, OR

  2011 ZX-6R; 2009 F800GS
A fun article on lane splitting: A World Without Lane Splitting - Motorcycle.com

Let's get this "lane sharing," business passed!
Mar 16th 2017, 11:57 AM   #42
 WarpShatner7's Avatar
 
  Jan 2016
  Stumpy Puddleton

  R1200ST, CB350
On nice days, a surprising number Portland drivers have this weird habit of driving around with their left arm sticking straight out the window, listlessly wiggling their fingers like a dying anemone. If I'm behind one I get to the right of the lane in case they're trying to get a booger off. I haven't noticed whether they do it when stopped at lights but I'll start keeping an eye out. I'd be curious if people who live in lane-splitting states bump many arms on the way through. And don't even get me started about lit cigarettes.
FidalgoRob likes this.
Mar 16th 2017, 05:36 PM   #43
 
  Apr 2016
  Vancouver

  2015 Yamaha Fj-09
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarpShatner7
On nice days, a surprising number Portland drivers have this weird habit of driving around with their left arm sticking straight out the window, listlessly wiggling their fingers like a dying anemone. If I'm behind one I get to the right of the lane in case they're trying to get a booger off. I haven't noticed whether they do it when stopped at lights but I'll start keeping an eye out. I'd be curious if people who live in lane-splitting states bump many arms on the way through. And don't even get me started about lit cigarettes.
MWHAHAHA... it's so fun to zip past these people at higher speeds, getting a close as I can. Looking in the rear view I see so many hands snatched back, cigs dropped ... bwhahahhahahhah.

Oh, and it was sooooo nice today that I saw some "rider" lane splitting like it ain't no thang.
Mar 16th 2017, 07:14 PM   #44
 
  Jun 2016
  Portland area

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syringe
A fun article on lane splitting: A World Without Lane Splitting - Motorcycle.com

Let's get this "lane sharing," business passed!
Best quote:
"lane-sharing gets everybody where they’re going faster, and almost ensures you’ll never have to suffer the inconvenience of finding a motorcycle on your hood when you look up from your Whopper with Cheese. (Though you will need to look in your side mirror before opening your door to throw out the wrapper and beer cans.)"
Mar 17th 2017, 08:34 AM   #45
 
  May 2016
  Milwaukie, OR

  2011 ZX-6R; 2009 F800GS
I liked that one, too!
Reply

  PNW Moto > Oregon > Portland

Tags
bill, lane, splitting



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lane splitting thread for Kitsap Willow Kitsap 1 Aug 21st 2016 02:33 AM
Lane splitting to became officially legal in Ca soon? Flyboymedic Motorcycles 11 Aug 6th 2016 12:47 PM
Lane Splitting - First Hand Exp in The Bay Area Andenthal Motorcycles 28 Jun 18th 2016 08:55 PM
Lane Splitting in Florida = they will kill you Late Braker Motorcycles 41 Apr 9th 2016 09:01 PM
Lane Splitting Petition no splat matt Motorcycles 3 Mar 18th 2016 08:48 PM




Copyright © 2017 PNW Moto. All rights reserved.