Instagram     

Go Back   PNW Moto > Oregon > Portland

Portland Rides, meetups, regional discussions | Portland, Salem, Hermiston, Astoria

Like Tree47Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Jul 25th 2018, 05:21 AM   #16
 
  Feb 2016
  Oregon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasl
Just out of curiosity, what have you done to address your elected representatives?


It was a joke about the politicians so just relax! I even said thanks for those that are working on it, apparently you missed that part. As far as your question goes, my time goes to more important things in life than this subject, so my question back to you is what have you done for the homeless, the vets, meals on wheels, do you spend more time on this taking away from your own family time? Not everyone can do everything on any one issue, but because maybe youíre all about this one issue you accuse others of not doing enough, that to me is shallow. Look up, youíve got target fixation, cause thereís more important things in life than lane filtering.


Sent via iPhone
Jul 26th 2018, 04:41 AM   #17
 Texasl's Avatar
Moderator
 
  Jan 2016
  Northeast Olalla

  07 Guzzi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuffy1982
It was a joke about the politicians so just relax! I even said thanks for those that are working on it, apparently you missed that part. As far as your question goes, my time goes to more important things in life than this subject, so my question back to you is what have you done for the homeless, the vets, meals on wheels, do you spend more time on this taking away from your own family time? Not everyone can do everything on any one issue, but because maybe youíre all about this one issue you accuse others of not doing enough, that to me is shallow. Look up, youíve got target fixation, cause thereís more important things in life than lane filtering.


Sent via iPhone
My apologies for not "getting" your less that adequately phrased "joke," but over my many years of public involvement I have heard the accusations, normally coming from people who refuse to engage in the regulatory process, that elected officials are only subject to purchase, to such an extent that it makes my teeth hurt.

Before you decide to accuse me of narrow issue myopia and shallowness I would suggest that you do a bit of research. The subject at hand was lane splitting/sharing, ergo the primary target of my response, but that does not invalidate my question. To salve your bruised ego I shall modify said question.

What have you done to address your elected representative on these issues for which you seem to have such passion?
307T and Hachi like this.
Jul 26th 2018, 04:45 AM   #18
 
  Feb 2016
  Oregon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasl
My apologies for not "getting" your less that adequately phrased "joke," but over my many years of public involvement I have heard the accusations, normally coming from people who refuse to engage in the regulatory process, that elected officials are only subject to purchase, to such an extent that it makes my teeth hurt.



Before you decide to accuse me of narrow issue myopia and shallowness I would suggest that you do a bit of research. The subject at hand was lane splitting/sharing, ergo the primary target of my response, but that does not invalidate my question. To salve your bruised ego I shall modify said question.



What have you done to address your elected representative on these issues for which you seem to have such passion?


Feel free to answer my questions first or you can just move on with your narrow focus.


Sent via iPhone
Jul 26th 2018, 05:41 AM   #19
 Texasl's Avatar
Moderator
 
  Jan 2016
  Northeast Olalla

  07 Guzzi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuffy1982
Feel free to answer my questions first or you can just move on with your narrow focus.


Sent via iPhone
  • 23 years volunteer lobbyist for motorcycling interests as a whole, where I burned a good 25% of my vacation time.
  • 14 years Washington Motorcycle Safety and Advisory Board
  • WTA Trail Volunteer.
  • Volunteer for numerous Parks and Recreation advisory boards.
  • Trusted advisor to my county commissioner on a wide range of subjects.
  • On a first name basis with all three of my state representatives, and sought out to discuss a wide variety of issues.
  • On a first name basis with my Federal Congressman for many years.
  • One of the top people for my command (when I was still a federal employee) running the Combined Federal Campaign.
  • Long time participant, at the request of legislative staff, in helping train educators in the legislative process.

Happy? On one side my wife is not, but she understands that I see the need for the average citizen to be involved in the process for the benefit of the community in which that reside.

Now, again I ask "What have you done to address your elected representative on these issues for which you seem to have such passion?"
Jul 26th 2018, 08:38 AM   #20
 WarpShatner7's Avatar
 
  Jan 2016
  Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuffy1982
I totally agree, it seems the more aggressive I am the safer I am. Secondly, I commend the people working on this, but the problem is you need a Go Fund Me to buy off the politicians, cause thatís the only thing they ALL understand and not common sense.
FWIW, every politician I know hates the fact that they have to spend so much of their day raising money. It's not what they went into politics for and they'd much rather be doing the job they they were elected to do. So if you care about getting the money out of politics then that'd be a good thing to get behind.
Jul 26th 2018, 08:39 AM   #21
 
  Jun 2016
  Portland area

Maybe that's an angle we can use. Make it permit based so it becomes a revenue discussion. Dismiss the safety discussion by limiting speeds to 25. Lets get an online petition letter going.

Sent via SM-G930V
Jul 26th 2018, 08:59 AM   #22
 
  Feb 2016
  Oregon

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarpShatner7
FWIW, every politician I know hates the fact that they have to spend so much of their day raising money. It's not what they went into politics for and they'd much rather be doing the job they they were elected to do. So if you care about getting the money out of politics then that'd be a good thing to get behind.


Thanks for the suggestion, but your opinion of our politicians in this state is different than mine, so letís just agree on that. This state has been driven into the ground by our greedy, money loving, liberal politicians IMO. Now, as far as this thread, Iíll say it again, thanks to all working on this issue, but, I put other things in my life as a priority over this issue, and many other issues, that Iím sure not many others do. I understand the ones that probably feel like they are on an island fighting this issue, Iíve been there I get it. I also get it when you run elbows with these politicians you will take offense at my original ďjokeĒ if it offended you, you might be a snowflake, get over it. As far as getting behind campaign finance reform? I think we citizens have tried to curb it before and those same politicians voted it down. This is a motorcycle forum not a political forum, so letís just move on.


Sent via iPhone
Jul 26th 2018, 09:35 AM   #23
 
  Jun 2016
  Portland area

If we are getting toll roads, then moto share permits would fit right into that. It's all about revenue to fix the freeway infrastructure.

Sent via SM-G930V
craiger likes this.
Jul 26th 2018, 09:39 AM   #24
 WarpShatner7's Avatar
 
  Jan 2016
  Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hachi
Maybe that's an angle we can use. Make it permit based so it becomes a revenue discussion. Dismiss the safety discussion by limiting speeds to 25. Lets get an online petition letter going.
Making it permit-based would also help address the popular misconception about safety and maybe provide some cover for ODOT's position. Require the rider to have either an MSF card or equivalent or an endorsement 5 or more years old to get one. Maybe a minimum age of 18 as well.
albatrosscafe, craiger and Hachi like this.
Jul 26th 2018, 09:41 AM   #25
DGA
 DGA's Avatar
Moderator
 
  Jan 2016
  PDX

  An Ape and a Husky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuffy1982
Thanks for the suggestion, but your opinion of our politicians in this state is different than mine, so letís just agree on that. This state has been driven into the ground by our greedy, money loving, liberal politicians IMO. Now, as far as this thread, Iíll say it again, thanks to all working on this issue, but, I put other things in my life as a priority over this issue, and many other issues, that Iím sure not many others do. I understand the ones that probably feel like they are on an island fighting this issue, Iíve been there I get it. I also get it when you run elbows with these politicians you will take offense at my original ďjokeĒ if it offended you, you might be a snowflake, get over it. As far as getting behind campaign finance reform? I think we citizens have tried to curb it before and those same politicians voted it down. This is a motorcycle forum not a political forum, so letís just move on.

Sent via iPhone
HA! Only snowflake here is the one stomping his feet about an issue that he wants something to happen on, but wants no part in getting it done, cause he's too busy...insert list of commendable things he needs us to know about here. This is not a priority in anyone's life, but would be a nice thing to have, that will require some work.

Also, it's political issue that also involves motorcycles. Dragging your views of how every politician needs to be paid off for things to get done (this comes from what personal experience again?) is not helping, or any other political thing you mention that does not pertain to getting lane splitting passed in Oregon.

The squeaky wheel gets the grease, even in politics. Since this does not cost the state any money, likelihood of it passing eventually is there. We need to keep the pressure on. Short of holding our hands to do it, the OP did a nice job of laying out how one can negotiate the political scene to get this in front of our representatives. I understand if people don't have time to invest in speaking face to face, but a call, or a letter that would take less time to craft than us bantering over it here, helps.
Texasl likes this.
Jul 26th 2018, 09:48 AM   #26
DGA
 DGA's Avatar
Moderator
 
  Jan 2016
  PDX

  An Ape and a Husky
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarpShatner7
Making it permit-based would also help address the popular misconception about safety and maybe provide some cover for ODOT's position. Require the rider to have either an MSF card or equivalent or an endorsement 5 or more years old to get one. Maybe a minimum age of 18 as well.
IMO, a permit for lane splitting just invites more problems than it solves, i.e. having another reason to pull someone over, more bureaucracy, and more money we have to pay for what infrastructure again? I just bought a new bike and registration costs are already up there.
DKBOM likes this.
Jul 26th 2018, 09:55 AM   #27
 WarpShatner7's Avatar
 
  Jan 2016
  Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGA
IMO, a permit for lane splitting just invites more problems than it solves, i.e. having another reason to pull someone over, more bureaucracy, and more money we have to pay for what infrastructure again? I just bought a new bike and registration costs are already up there.
Yeah, I'm against permit-as-revenue-source; for one thing motorcyclists as a whole are only circa 1% of road users, so it wouldn't even be a drop in the bucket. But a $5-ish one-time fee to make it revenue neutral (i.e. cover the cost of implementation) should be within reach for anyone. Around the price of a quart of oil. Not sure I agree about the other problems.

I think cops would prefer permits for lane sharing over just plain legalizing it because having a (small) barrier to getting one forces riders to actually think about the responsibilities of lane sharing, not just the convenience.
Jul 26th 2018, 09:57 AM   #28
 craiger's Avatar
 
  Apr 2016
  Molalla

  2007 Aprilia Tuono Factory, 2010 Honda VFR 1200f DCT
Well this thread ran off course in a hurry, no? Kinda like me filtering in morning and evening traffic. Oh well.. I'd be more than happy to get involved; a saturday group pressure event, whatever it takes. But careful what you ask for, ya just might get it. Filtering is awesome, saves time and money...I prolly don't need to hash out all the pro's, it's the con's that are stopping those in charge from making the change. Like they care about our "safety". DGA is right, it doesn't cost money to change/update laws, but it takes money to educate the idiot cagers, appease the trucking companies and whatever else they think they need to do to make riders "safer". How about our own lane separated by concrete barriers or a curb? Ah..shit, what am I thinking, that would only cost waaay too much money in the name of "safety". I'm getting ahead of meself.. carry on.
Jul 26th 2018, 10:01 AM   #29
 
  Feb 2016
  Oregon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGA
HA! Only snowflake here is the one stomping his feet about an issue that he wants something to happen on, but wants no part in getting it done, cause he's too busy...insert list of commendable things he needs us to know about here. This is not a priority in anyone's life, but would be a nice thing to have, that will require some work.



Also, it's political issue that also involves motorcycles. Dragging your views of how every politician needs to be paid off for things to get done (this comes from what personal experience again?) is not helping, or any other political thing you mention that does not pertain to getting lane splitting passed in Oregon.



The squeaky wheel gets the grease, even in politics. Since this does not cost the state any money, likelihood of it passing eventually is there. We need to keep the pressure on. Short of holding our hands to do it, the OP did a nice job of laying out how one can negotiate the political scene to get this in front of our representatives. I understand if people don't have time to invest in speaking face to face, but a call, or a letter that would take less time to craft than us bantering over it here, helps.


Ok so I see Iíve triggered the mob mentality here, perfect. Letís be clear, I made a joke that someone took personally and then counter argued why I donít have time to put into this issue like he apparently does. That doesnít mean Iím better than him or he is better than me , we just have different priorities in our lives. As far as politicians being paid off, if I gave you a million dollars to donate to their campaigns tomorrow this would pass immediately thatís a fact, thatís our system I get it, but to deny that is lunacy. I agree that you are right the squeaky wheel gets the grease in our system no doubt about it, and the OP gave great options for all, hopefully those that have time in their lives will help and those that donít right now might at some point but until you walk a day in someone elseís shoes you shouldnít question their motives or reasons really.


Sent via iPhone
Jul 26th 2018, 10:03 AM   #30
 craiger's Avatar
 
  Apr 2016
  Molalla

  2007 Aprilia Tuono Factory, 2010 Honda VFR 1200f DCT
Along the lines of permits, shit yes. I'd pay $100 a year for my own lane. Now tolls? That's a whole nuther therapy session. If I gotta pay to filter, I shouldn't have to pay tolls. This whole fuckin toll thing pisses me off. I get it that we here in Oreegun are spoiled in the sense that we don't have any, but we also have an antiquated transportation system. Once the tolls kick in, where's the guarantee that the money will be spent in appropriate ways? There aint no guarantee's in this tax and spend loving state, that's for sure. Transparency, people, that's where it's at. Oh, and accountability. Sorry, I'll get off my podium now..
Tuffy1982 likes this.
Reply

  PNW Moto > Oregon > Portland

Tags
lanesharing, oregon



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Event: Lane-Sharing Discussion Ė Wed, 28 Feb 2018 Lena Portland 18 Mar 3rd 2018 09:40 PM
Lane Filtering HelloMoto Portland 17 Aug 15th 2017 01:36 PM
Lane splitting legislation in WA tod701 Motorcycles 70 Mar 27th 2017 12:43 PM
PSA: Be careful if you lane split! Flyboymedic Motorcycles 23 Mar 2nd 2016 01:31 PM




Copyright © 2018 PNW Moto. All rights reserved.