Instagram     

Go Back   PNW Moto > Oregon > Portland

Portland Rides, meetups, regional discussions | Portland, Salem, Hermiston, Astoria

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Transported
  • 1 Post By Tripledij
  • 1 Post By Mudslinger
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Apr 6th 2021, 09:46 AM   #1
 
  Jan 2016
  Oregon

  2018 Kaw Ninja H2 SX SE
Jeez, don't we have enough to worry about?

Without FOURTEEN-YR-OLDS behind the wheel??!

https://www.kptv.com/news/sheriff-14...lock_id=994649
Apr 6th 2021, 10:32 AM   #2
 Tripledij's Avatar
 
  Jan 2016
  Custer WA

  Aprilia Tuono 1100 and Moto Guzzi V7 III Milano
That is a bummer.

I am glad however, that we don't have to deal with the cicadas here.


Apr 6th 2021, 10:52 AM   #3
 Pavement Tested's Avatar
 
  Jan 2016
  Seabeck

  '08 GSX1300R, '06 GSX-R 750, '16 KTM 690 Duke
Not really sure how the cicadas tie into the thread but I'll tell you, the 17 year locusts are absolutely INSANE. They just popped out of the ground one summer and took over EVERYTHING! It was biblical.

Since I was maybe 10 at the time, I did make it fun by collecting tons of shed exoskeletons and having battles between them and my Army men...


Note: I'm from central PA. Looks like my folks will be having the experience again this year.
Apr 6th 2021, 03:43 PM   #4
 307T's Avatar
 
  Jan 2016
  Washington County

  H-D
Back to the OP story, I hope the rider is OK and that insurance will cover medical and damages. I wonder what the back story is? Guessing that he stole the car. Hate to think it was his parent's car. If it was then maybe that is why he "turned himself in," with Dad and Mom grabbing him by the scruff of his skinny neck.
Apr 6th 2021, 04:10 PM   #5
 Transported's Avatar
 
  Jan 2016
  Portland

  2016 R1, 1999 R1
Ya gotta wonder what a shopping trip was for? Is that our therapy when life has you down? Go buy some unneeded shit?

“I don't like Mondays
(Tell me why)
I don't like Mondays
(Tell me why)
I don't like Mondays
I wanna shoot the whole day down.”
Apr 6th 2021, 04:24 PM   #6
 Transported's Avatar
 
  Jan 2016
  Portland

  2016 R1, 1999 R1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavement Tested
Not really sure how the cicadas tie into the thread but I'll tell you, the 17 year locusts are absolutely INSANE. They just popped out of the ground one summer and took over EVERYTHING! It was biblical.

Since I was maybe 10 at the time, I did make it fun by collecting tons of shed exoskeletons and having battles between them and my Army men...


Note: I'm from central PA. Looks like my folks will be having the experience again this year.
I grew up in the Pittsburgh area and then moved to Washington, DC in my twenties. We had cicadas every summer in PA.

But one summer in the late ‘80s in DC, they were everywhere. I was racing bicycles and training and those freaky things were Biblical. Their dead carcasses were filling the street drainage ditches. You’d have to dodge them as they flew awkwardly about, and they would land on you and go along for the ride. It was Hitchcockian.
Apr 6th 2021, 07:31 PM   #7
 Pavement Tested's Avatar
 
  Jan 2016
  Seabeck

  '08 GSX1300R, '06 GSX-R 750, '16 KTM 690 Duke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transported
I grew up in the Pittsburgh area and then moved to Washington, DC in my twenties. We had cicadas every summer in PA.

But one summer in the late ‘80s in DC, they were everywhere. I was racing bicycles and training and those freaky things were Biblical. Their dead carcasses were filling the street drainage ditches. You’d have to dodge them as they flew awkwardly about, and they would land on you and go along for the ride. It was Hitchcockian.
I grew up in PA Dutch country. The late 80s was about the time of my first experience with them.
Apr 7th 2021, 06:30 AM   #8
 Akdawg's Avatar
 
  Dec 2018
  Goldendale WA

  Classic Sportsters, Triumph & BSA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavement Tested
I grew up in PA Dutch country. The late 80s was about the time of my first experience with them.
Bucks County here....June bugs r deadly! along with the Cicadas
Apr 7th 2021, 08:30 AM   #9
 Transported's Avatar
 
  Jan 2016
  Portland

  2016 R1, 1999 R1
And fireflies. Sure wish the West Coast had those. Magical.
mars likes this.
Apr 7th 2021, 09:51 AM   #10
 
  Jan 2016
  Oregon

  2018 Kaw Ninja H2 SX SE
It's not a 14-yr old Cicada!

Thanks for jackin' my thread.

Hope you guys don't get hit by some under age joyriding teen without a license...
Apr 7th 2021, 10:31 AM   #11
 Tripledij's Avatar
 
  Jan 2016
  Custer WA

  Aprilia Tuono 1100 and Moto Guzzi V7 III Milano
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoman
It's not a 14-yr old Cicada!

Thanks for jackin' my thread.

Hope you guys don't get hit by some under age joyriding teen without a license...
First, I clearly replied to to the topic. What else do you want me to say?

Obviously I wish this didn't happen and I wish the rider a speedy recovery, but your chances of getting hit by some kid on a joy ride are less than being bitten by a shark.

Then, to offer a ray of sunshine, I mentioned that at least we don't have to deal with those bugs.


If you wish to dwell on only the negative then you will always have a dark cloud following you around.


Here's to better weather and more riding.
Willow likes this.
Apr 7th 2021, 01:47 PM   #12
 Mudslinger's Avatar
 
  Sep 2016
  Seabeck

  Kawasaki Z900RS
Great. Now I'm worried about getting hit by a cicada bug.
Willow likes this.
Apr 8th 2021, 06:12 AM   #13
 Sentinel's Avatar
 
  Jun 2016
  Poor Tortured

  2019 Nada
LOL. gripe on the internet about thread jacking and ask for good behavior? and expect WHAT exactly in response?

CICADA'S!
Reply

  PNW Moto > Oregon > Portland

Tags
jeez, worry



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help me choose a new bike... Don’t worry about why... Didley Motorcycles 26 Apr 21st 2018 07:32 AM




Copyright © 2021 PNW Moto. All rights reserved.