Instagram     

Go Back   PNW Moto > Oregon > Portland

Portland Rides, meetups, regional discussions | Portland, Salem, Hermiston, Astoria

Like Tree8Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
May 10th 2019, 07:11 PM   #1
 chadams66's Avatar
 
  Jan 2016
  Garden Home

  2012 Versys...'83 BMW R80 RT...Suzuki GS 450t
here we go again

our good friend and world's best bike builder is at it again..

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/moto...ook/ar-AAB8AaX

307T, FidalgoRob, MMcN49 and 1 others like this.
May 10th 2019, 10:20 PM   #2
 liberpolly's Avatar
 
  Jan 2016
  Seattle

  Ducati Diavel, Aprilia Scarabeo
I like it. Very curious how did he solve the problem of the unsprung weight of the wheel-motor.
May 10th 2019, 11:31 PM   #3
 Parilla125's Avatar
 
  Jan 2016
  SeaTac

Sayyyyy, didn't I see that on the first 'new' Star Trek movie?!?!
May 11th 2019, 06:17 AM   #4
 Oregon Motorcycle's Avatar
 
  Mar 2019
  oregon

Looks to be way under geared, or I am missing something.

0-60 in 2.8 with a top speed of 85?
May 11th 2019, 01:01 PM   #5
 
  Jan 2016
  SE PDX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon Motorcycle
Looks to be way under geared, or I am missing something.

0-60 in 2.8 with a top speed of 85?
Hub motor, so no gears at all.

Nice that electric motors have basically a flat torque curve starting almost at zero rpm

Just a really heavy rear wheel (motor is in the wheel)

Probably a wheelie machine
May 11th 2019, 05:00 PM   #6
 Sentinel's Avatar
 
  Jun 2016
  Poor Tortured

  2013 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Harlequin
could you essentially split the electric motor, and mount half it, the magnets, say, on the wheel and the other half, the coil, on the frame? or the reverse? and have it be like direct magnetic drive? sort of like the way a maglev train works. seems like you could put magnets IN the wheel, and then the coil on the frame, and you pulse the current through the coil which pulls the magnet toward it/away from it, and the timing would set the speed. like a Searl motor? I bet there's a harmonic sweet spot in any design where you get crazy efficiency. http://www.searlsolution.com/technology2.html

what we have now is essentially every ev has an extra set of wheels in it where they change the motor output into drive output. if the wheel WAS the motor, half of it, you would eliminate that set of extra wheels and all the deplorables that go with it.

Edited by Sentinel on May 11th 2019 at 05:04 PM
May 11th 2019, 05:14 PM   #7
 Oregon Motorcycle's Avatar
 
  Mar 2019
  oregon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon Rider
Hub motor, so no gears at all.

Nice that electric motors have basically a flat torque curve starting almost at zero rpm

Just a really heavy rear wheel (motor is in the wheel)

Probably a wheelie machine
Some hub motors have gearing.

If not, raise the KV of the motor which would raise RPM and lower torque.

If 0-60 in 2.8 and a TS of 85 is true, something is way off.
May 11th 2019, 05:51 PM   #8
 Mudslinger's Avatar
 
  Sep 2016
  Seabeck

  Africa Twin
I bet that the speed limit is governed to get the range numbers that they wanted.
no splat matt likes this.
May 11th 2019, 06:22 PM   #9
 WarpShatner7's Avatar
 
  Jan 2016
  Portland

  R1200ST, CB350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentinel
could you essentially split the electric motor, and mount half it, the magnets, say, on the wheel and the other half, the coil, on the frame?
If I understand you, I think that's effectively what hub motors are. The stator is for all practical purposes the rear axle, and as such fixed to the swingarm. Which means it's unsprung weight like the wheel, but only attached to the wheel via bearings and a magnetic field.

Edited by WarpShatner7 on May 11th 2019 at 06:25 PM
May 11th 2019, 07:35 PM   #10
 Rock Dodger's Avatar
 
  Feb 2016
  Washington

Lithium ion batteries (400V) inside a magnesium housing.
What could possibly go wrong!!????
liberpolly likes this.
May 11th 2019, 08:58 PM   #11
 liberpolly's Avatar
 
  Jan 2016
  Seattle

  Ducati Diavel, Aprilia Scarabeo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Dodger
Lithium ion batteries (400V) inside a magnesium housing.
What could possibly go wrong!!????
Heh. To be fair, an aluminum housing will burn almost as fast. Those lithium batteries burn hot!

On a plus side, went and took Zero DS for a test ride in Triumph dealership on Aurora. I am *very* impressed. It may be, as far as I can tell, the perfect city vehicle. Dual-sport suspensions helps a lot on broken Seattle streeet. It is so nimble and powerful, and immediate torque makes it very easy to filter. It probably would be even more entertaining with sumo wheels, and they have that version, but I had to leave.

Those of you electro-curious, highly recommended to get the test ride.
Mudslinger likes this.
May 12th 2019, 07:21 AM   #12
 Parilla125's Avatar
 
  Jan 2016
  SeaTac

https://www.motorcyclistonline.com/f...&mid=520424615

Looks like fun! Kind of heavy though...
The electrics are CRAZY with torque!
May 12th 2019, 07:35 AM   #13
 Pavement Tested's Avatar
 
  Jan 2016
  Seabeck

  '08 GSX1300R, '06 GSX-R 750, '17 KTM 690 Duke
Quote:
Originally Posted by liberpolly
Heh. To be fair, an aluminum housing will burn almost as fast. Those lithium batteries burn hot!
Doesn't matter how hot the batteries burn, aluminum will not. It'll just melt. Magnesium on the other hand does burn and is self-oxidizing and burns even hotter. Lithium ion batteries burn at about 1000, magnesium burns at about 2200.

So basically, if/when one of those batteries lights off you'll end up with a fire that you; A) can't put out and B) will burn/melt it's way thru basically anything.
Sentinel likes this.
May 12th 2019, 07:41 AM   #14
 Parilla125's Avatar
 
  Jan 2016
  SeaTac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavement Tested
Doesn't matter how hot the batteries burn, aluminum will not. It'll just melt. Magnesium on the other hand does burn and is self-oxidizing and burns even hotter. Lithium ion batteries burn at about 1000, magnesium burns at about 2200.

So basically, if/when one of those batteries lights off you'll end up with a fire that you; A) can't put out and B) will burn/melt it's way thru basically anything.
You brought back a great memory when I was a kid of my father coming home directly after I lit some magnesium flakes on fire on our concrete driveway. Oops. That was also when I found out concrete explodes with a concentrated heat source! Who knew?!?!
May 12th 2019, 09:58 AM   #15
 Sentinel's Avatar
 
  Jun 2016
  Poor Tortured

  2013 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Harlequin
burning metal is the business!

fun with molecules.

basically, if metal starts on fire you push it into the ocean.

its the only way to be sure.

Reply

  PNW Moto > Oregon > Portland



Thread Tools
Display Modes





Copyright © 2019 PNW Moto. All rights reserved.