Instagram     

Go Back   PNW Moto > Oregon > Portland

Portland Rides, meetups, regional discussions | Portland, Salem, Hermiston, Astoria

Like Tree9Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Sep 30th 2016, 01:12 PM   #16
 kornflake's Avatar
 
  Jul 2016
  Oregon

  929 streetfighter - husky 701 sumo - XR650R
Quote:
Originally Posted by FZ1Mike
Yeah. I should take up drag racing. Love going fast. Like the twistit's but get scared when I feel the pegs scrape. Terrified of wheelies lol. But going obscenely fast doing things that give all bikers a bad name, "Weaving" that's why I ride lol.
150+mph freeway race.... no problem. I try not to do it as much now though. It can be hard to resist the urge tho
But scraping my pegs and doing wheelies scares me. What's up with that?
I remember reading years ago - when I was a teenager - an article in one of the motorcycle mags, had a line in it that stuck with me to this day:

"Any monkey can twist the throttle & go fast in a straight line. The corners are what separate those who can ride, and those that can't".

Or something to that effect. But the monkey part I for sure remember correctly, because I realized the monkey was me. I didn't want to be a monkey, damnit!

And not that I still don't crave a banana now & then, but when I realized I really wasn't as good of a rider I thought I was, I worked on becoming better at it.

My first real lesson switching from dirt bikes to street bikes, was I didn't understand how to lean the bike over. I wound up riding in a field because I was going too fast for my ability, and not leaned over enough. Luckily, I stayed upright, cleaned all the stuck hay out from under the bike, and rode home with my mental tail between my legs. Even though I was by myself, I was still embarrassed, and felt like an idiot.

First thing I did when I got home, was manually lean the bike over in the garage, until something on the bike touched the ground. I was *amazed* at how far the thing would actually lean over. After that, I realized any mistakes were pretty much made by me, and not the limitations of the bike.

Well, it WAS a 2biddy Ninja, so it for sure had limitations when I started growing out of it

I don't really have a point writing this book to you, other than hoping you'll maybe relate to what I wrote on some level. You seem like a smart, well-rounded dude. Even if you do live in Washington

But, if not, I'll have Ricky Gadson txt you
elSueco likes this.

Edited by kornflake on Sep 30th 2016 at 01:22 PM Reason: punctuation
Sep 30th 2016, 02:45 PM   #17
 FZ1Mike's Avatar
 
  Sep 2016
  Kenmore

  2005 Fz1 The Fazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by kornflake
lol yeah the sumo's are pretty amazing in the corners. It's still surprising me with how fast it actually is in the twisties.

The more wheelies you do, the more natural it will feel. But, I hear ya - some of the fastest/best riders I know don't wheelie. So it's not a *requirement* to ride well. But for me, it's pretty much the main reason I ride haha If I suddenly couldn't do any wheelies, I'd just say fuck it & buy an Ariel Atom.
What do u think is better for the wheelie newb? Power up or clutch up? I feel more controlled with power up. Seems like it might be easy (for a lowly squid like me) to over do it on a clutch up
Sep 30th 2016, 03:26 PM   #18
 kornflake's Avatar
 
  Jul 2016
  Oregon

  929 streetfighter - husky 701 sumo - XR650R
Quote:
Originally Posted by FZ1Mike
What do u think is better for the wheelie newb? Power up or clutch up? I feel more controlled with power up. Seems like it might be easy (for a lowly squid like me) to over do it on a clutch up
For me, it's always using the clutch. Of course a power wheelie will happen, but with the clutch *you* control when the bike wheelies, not the powerband.

If you start out just slipping the clutch a small amount while rolling, giving it a bit of power, it'll wheelie just a little bit. As you do it more & more, you'll start to get the feel of it, and the wheelies will get longer & higher as you learn.

Please don't post here a week from now talking about "looping", and "the kornflake made you do it". haha
Sep 30th 2016, 05:11 PM   #19
 FZ1Mike's Avatar
 
  Sep 2016
  Kenmore

  2005 Fz1 The Fazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by kornflake
For me, it's always using the clutch. Of course a power wheelie will happen, but with the clutch *you* control when the bike wheelies, not the powerband.

If you start out just slipping the clutch a small amount while rolling, giving it a bit of power, it'll wheelie just a little bit. As you do it more & more, you'll start to get the feel of it, and the wheelies will get longer & higher as you learn.

Please don't post here a week from now talking about "looping", and "the kornflake made you do it". haha

LOL I had to Google that one. I hope that doesn't happen to me.

Getting tattooed right now. Last time was five years ago. I think I've
gotten weaker in my old age cuz damn this shit hurts.
Oct 3rd 2016, 07:32 AM   #20
 FZ1Mike's Avatar
 
  Sep 2016
  Kenmore

  2005 Fz1 The Fazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by kornflake
I remember reading years ago - when I was a teenager - an article in one of the motorcycle mags, had a line in it that stuck with me to this day:

"Any monkey can twist the throttle & go fast in a straight line. The corners are what separate those who can ride, and those that can't".

Or something to that effect. But the monkey part I for sure remember correctly, because I realized the monkey was me. I didn't want to be a monkey, damnit!

And not that I still don't crave a banana now & then, but when I realized I really wasn't as good of a rider I thought I was, I worked on becoming better at it.

My first real lesson switching from dirt bikes to street bikes, was I didn't understand how to lean the bike over. I wound up riding in a field because I was going too fast for my ability, and not leaned over enough. Luckily, I stayed upright, cleaned all the stuck hay out from under the bike, and rode home with my mental tail between my legs. Even though I was by myself, I was still embarrassed, and felt like an idiot.

First thing I did when I got home, was manually lean the bike over in the garage, until something on the bike touched the ground. I was *amazed* at how far the thing would actually lean over. After that, I realized any mistakes were pretty much made by me, and not the limitations of the bike.

Well, it WAS a 2biddy Ninja, so it for sure had limitations when I started growing out of it

I don't really have a point writing this book to you, other than hoping you'll maybe relate to what I wrote on some level. You seem like a smart, well-rounded dude. Even if you do live in Washington

But, if not, I'll have Ricky Gadson txt you
No for sure. My problem is often going to fast for my own good. And not practicing braking at the speeds I travel at. I think that's also the mark of a good rider. Like you said, any monkey can twist the throttle. But being an effective and efficient braler takes practice.
I've been spending a lot of time lately practicing my emergency stoppies lol
Oct 3rd 2016, 08:19 AM   #21
 SamEyeHam's Avatar
 
  May 2016
  SW Portland

  2003 SV650S
Quote:
Originally Posted by FZ1Mike
No for sure. My problem is often going to fast for my own good. And not practicing braking at the speeds I travel at. I think that's also the mark of a good rider. Like you said, any monkey can twist the throttle. But being an effective and efficient braler takes practice.
I've been spending a lot of time lately practicing my emergency stoppies lol
Hate to burst your bubble but most of the fast guys don't even really use their brakes when cornering on the street. It's about carrying speed through the corner and being smooth with your inputs, not slamming on the front brake and then hammering on the gas.

^This is kinda the first lesson in riding a sportbike on the street. Google "Riding the Pace". Also check out Keith Code's Twist of the Wrist, and Twist of the Wrist 2.

In time it will all make sense. If you make it that far....
Oct 3rd 2016, 03:12 PM   #22
 FZ1Mike's Avatar
 
  Sep 2016
  Kenmore

  2005 Fz1 The Fazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamEyeHam
Hate to burst your bubble but most of the fast guys don't even really use their brakes when cornering on the street. It's about carrying speed through the corner and being smooth with your inputs, not slamming on the front brake and then hammering on the gas.

^This is kinda the first lesson in riding a sportbike on the street. Google "Riding the Pace". Also check out Keith Code's Twist of the Wrist, and Twist of the Wrist 2.

In time it will all make sense. If you make it that far....
My talk about braking was separate from cornering. I was Speaking more to being an "experienced rider". Going fast is great. But if you don't know how to stop quickly (in an emergency) relative to your speed than you shouldn't be traveling at those speeds. And that is a lesson I've learned first hand.
So ya to me the really good riders are not only good at going fast through corners. But are able to avoid an accident and not end up like one of the bugs on my windscreen.

For me the reason I love riding in groups is watching more experienced riders and knowing how much to push myself. I learn best by watching others. I can do something a million times. But if I'm doing it wrong all I've done is taught myself a bad habit. But one time of watching someone else and I've learned a new skill or improved on an existing.
Oct 3rd 2016, 03:18 PM   #23
 FZ1Mike's Avatar
 
  Sep 2016
  Kenmore

  2005 Fz1 The Fazer
The day I don't get nervous when my pegs scrape or the day I my heart doesn't skip a beat when I have to do a stoppie to avoid some hipster retard is the day I'll stop riding. I often say things scare me or I get nervous. What that really means is I don't YET feel experienced enough in my abilities to be operating my vehicle in such a manner.
Oct 3rd 2016, 03:25 PM   #24
 FZ1Mike's Avatar
 
  Sep 2016
  Kenmore

  2005 Fz1 The Fazer
Operating within you comfort level doesnt make u bad at whatever it is your doing. I bow hunt. I can shoot my bow out to 60 yards and hit turkey. The average bow hunter won't shoot a deer past 30 yards. Does that make me better than them. Sure. But that doesn't mean they suck at shooting a bow.
Oct 3rd 2016, 03:27 PM   #25
 FZ1Mike's Avatar
 
  Sep 2016
  Kenmore

  2005 Fz1 The Fazer
Feels like I'm ranting. Am I ranting? I just want to go on another ride to Mt at helens!
Or maybe hwy 20 to Okanogan. O wait your all from Oregon.
They don't even let u guys pump your own gas.....
Im sorry couldn't help it
Oct 3rd 2016, 03:35 PM   #26
 FZ1Mike's Avatar
 
  Sep 2016
  Kenmore

  2005 Fz1 The Fazer
I have to stop getting on these threads. I can't ride to work. Then I talk about this stuff on my breaks. Then I get home and tell my wife and two kids that I HAVE TO GO FOR A RIDE cuz I've been on pnwmoto all day and Kornflake says I have to get out there and practice my wheelies.
So I'll be back by dark..... have dinner ready

Then the next day I have to explain to my boss why I didn't get anything done.

Edited by FZ1Mike on Oct 3rd 2016 at 03:40 PM
Oct 3rd 2016, 05:19 PM   #27
 ShootPDX's Avatar
 
  May 2016
  Happy Valley area (Clackamas)

  SV650S Silver
What you will find out is...trail braking...blipping the throttle...carrying as much speed as you can into a turn...all that shit is cool...for sure...but it's icing on the cake...

What I see out there on a ride is...the difference between front of the pack and the back...is...1) How good is your vision beyond the apex?...you know...the shit that's going on 1-2 seconds ahead of you...2) How fast can you both make...and execute...an accurate turning decision?...if you're pacing with the leaders...the speed is selected for you...you're eyes are up and you never even have to glance at the speedo or tach...your sole concern will be...can I get this shit counter-steered deeply enough to make the corner with these cats?...and if it seems sketchy...just follow someone who is running at a pace within your personal limits...
Oct 3rd 2016, 07:47 PM   #28
 Transported's Avatar
 
  Jan 2016
  Portland

  2006 FZ1, 1999 R1
Oregon has better roads and bke riders can pump their own gas.
Oct 3rd 2016, 09:18 PM   #29
 Josh's Avatar
 
  Jul 2016
  The Couv

Quote:
Originally Posted by FZ1Mike
Yeah. I should take up drag racing. Love going fast. Like the twistit's but get scared when I feel the pegs scrape. Terrified of wheelies lol. But going obscenely fast doing things that give all bikers a bad name, "Weaving" that's why I ride lol.
150+mph freeway race.... no problem. I try not to do it as much now though. It can be hard to resist the urge tho
But scraping my pegs and doing wheelies scares me. What's up with that?
Drag racing is a blast, used to have a K6 GIXXER 1000 I'd take to Friday night street racing at Spokane Raceway Park...would get in 10+ runs in a night.
Oct 4th 2016, 07:54 AM   #30
 FZ1Mike's Avatar
 
  Sep 2016
  Kenmore

  2005 Fz1 The Fazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShootPDX
What you will find out is...trail braking...blipping the throttle...carrying as much speed as you can into a turn...all that shit is cool...for sure...but it's icing on the cake...

What I see out there on a ride is...the difference between front of the pack and the back...is...1) How good is your vision beyond the apex?...you know...the shit that's going on 1-2 seconds ahead of you...2) How fast can you both make...and execute...an accurate turning decision?...if you're pacing with the leaders...the speed is selected for you...you're eyes are up and you never even have to glance at the speedo or tach...your sole concern will be...can I get this shit counter-steered deeply enough to make the corner with these cats?...and if it seems sketchy...just follow someone who is running at a pace within your personal limits...
Again. That's why I love group rides. I'll be out in front doing obscene speeds on the straights. Then guys like Korn flake pass me on a 700cc dirtbike while I'm leaned into a corner and it reminds me. I'm not nearly as good as I like to think I am. And I can try to keep up with the leader so I know how much to push myself when I'm by myself. I go on a lot of 100 200 mile rides by myself but I don't learn anything cuz I don't push myself the way I do in a group ride.

And I still keep an eye on my speed. Any time I'm doing 90 or more and leaning way into a corner I'm checking my speed lol. Follow the leader or not
Reply

  PNW Moto > Oregon > Portland



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Motorcycle Ride: 9/21/16 Wednesday Westside Ride leaves at 5 - NEW LOCATION caslaw Portland 5 Sep 26th 2016 02:10 PM
Motorcycle Ride: Wednesday Westside Ride 5/18/16 motorooster Portland 1 May 18th 2016 02:19 PM
Motorcycle Ride: Wednesday Westside pre-standing ride - 4/27/16 motorooster Portland 6 May 4th 2016 11:05 AM
Motorcycle Ride: Wednesday Westside pre-standing ride - 4/20/16 motorooster Portland 17 Apr 21st 2016 07:31 PM
Wednesday Westside pre-standing ride motorooster Portland 13 Apr 14th 2016 01:18 PM




Copyright © 2017 PNW Moto. All rights reserved.