Instagram     

Go Back   PNW Moto > Washington > Seattle > Olympia

Olympia Rides, meetups, regional discussions | Olympia, Lacey, Tumwater

Like Tree7Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Mar 26th 2018, 01:41 AM   #1
 
  Mar 2018
  Olympia

  2016 Kawasaki Z1000,2015 Polaris sportsman XP1000,2017 Ktm 690 enduro R
101 loop from Olympia

I'm hoping to be home towards the end of April. I have a new bike that I want to get some miles on and I've always wanted to do the 101 loop,I'd like to go from Olympia down threw Aberdeen route and come back to Olympia.i guess going the other way would be fine too. I'm thinking I should get home around the 23rd,if these fish will cooperate and do the ride on the 28th. Anyone interested?
olyk12 likes this.
Mar 26th 2018, 07:08 AM   #2
 Texasl's Avatar
Moderator
 
  Jan 2016
  Northeast Olalla

  07 Guzzi
Are you planning on going from Oly to Oly by way of Port Angeles and Forks?
Mar 26th 2018, 07:46 AM   #3
 Sentinel's Avatar
 
  Jun 2016
  Poor Tortured

  2015 Kawasaki Concours 14 - The Origame Sea-Dragon
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Olym...47.0378741!3e0

It's maybe 350 miles and maybe 8 real-world hours unless you haul ass through the boonies, which many people do, and cut an hour off. With a more casual pace and lunch and a couple of cappuccinos, it's 8. Totally do-able. You would want to stop at Beach 1 or 2 or 3 for a look-see and a walk. You should be able to find lots of folks who have done it and would do it with you. Weather matters, and a not-Saturday would be best, IMO. I don't recall the longest leg, but if you can go 100 miles between gas stops you will be fine.

Edited by Sentinel on Mar 26th 2018 at 07:50 AM
Mar 26th 2018, 08:18 AM   #4
 equinity's Avatar
 
  Jan 2016
  Puyallup

  Yamaha FZ1, Aprilia RSV4 R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentinel
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Olym...47.0378741!3e0

It's maybe 350 miles and maybe 8 real-world hours unless you haul ass through the boonies, which many people do, and cut an hour off. With a more casual pace and lunch and a couple of cappuccinos, it's 8. Totally do-able. You would want to stop at Beach 1 or 2 or 3 for a look-see and a walk. You should be able to find lots of folks who have done it and would do it with you. Weather matters, and a not-Saturday would be best, IMO. I don't recall the longest leg, but if you can go 100 miles between gas stops you will be fine.


Quinault to Forks and Forks to PA would e the longest legs, but there is gas pretty frequently so I don't think petrol is a factor.

Side roads and detours can add to the overall time. Like you said stopping in Kalaloch will add, riding around Quinault, heading out to Cape Flattery, or if you go out to Open Sores and cross over Kilpatrick from north beach. When I did out with a friend last year it took us about 11 with lunch and stopping to watch the whales.


Sent via iPhone
Mar 26th 2018, 09:39 AM   #5
 
  Apr 2016
  WA

I might be down for that. I was planning the 101 loop myself in that time frame.
Mar 26th 2018, 10:32 AM   #6
 Arcane's Avatar
 
  Jan 2016
  Bremerton WA

  ER-6n
This sounds like a good day.
Mar 26th 2018, 11:26 AM   #7
 
  Mar 2018
  Olympia

  2016 Kawasaki Z1000,2015 Polaris sportsman XP1000,2017 Ktm 690 enduro R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasl
Are you planning on going from Oly to Oly by way of Port Angeles and Forks?
Yep that's what I'd like to do.
Mar 26th 2018, 11:36 AM   #8
 
  Mar 2018
  Olympia

  2016 Kawasaki Z1000,2015 Polaris sportsman XP1000,2017 Ktm 690 enduro R
Quote:
Originally Posted by equinity
Quinault to Forks and Forks to PA would e the longest legs, but there is gas pretty frequently so I don't think petrol is a factor.

Side roads and detours can add to the overall time. Like you said stopping in Kalaloch will add, riding around Quinault, heading out to Cape Flattery, or if you go out to Open Sores and cross over Kilpatrick from north beach. When I did out with a friend last year it took us about 11 with lunch and stopping to watch the whales.


Sent via iPhone
I wouldn't mind some of the side roads,but stopping to see the whales not so much. I've been out here in the Bering Sea fishing for the last 3 months,I've seen plenty of whales.
Mar 26th 2018, 11:52 AM   #9
 
  Apr 2016
  WA

I hear counter clockwise is best traffic wise. Leave about 7:30am to avoid as much traffic as possible.
Mar 26th 2018, 02:56 PM   #10
 
  Mar 2018
  Olympia

  2016 Kawasaki Z1000,2015 Polaris sportsman XP1000,2017 Ktm 690 enduro R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanthegreat1
I hear counter clockwise is best traffic wise. Leave about 7:30am to avoid as much traffic as possible.
It wouldn't matter which way to me,if it's better counter clockwise I'm good with that. Anytime also,doesn't have to be a weekend,when I'm off the boat I don't work so I'm good for any day.
Mar 27th 2018, 03:50 AM   #11
 
  Jan 2016
  Renton

  2011 Triumph Daytona 675, 1975 Honda CB550K1
Might consider adding some time to run out that winding road to neah bay, did it a couple years ago in the car, was wishing it was the bike the whole time. Adds a couple hours to the route though, maybe too much added time unless you break it up to a couple days and go play on a number of side roads, go see Hurricane ridge, etc.

Sent via SM-J727T
Mar 27th 2018, 05:42 AM   #12
 Sentinel's Avatar
 
  Jun 2016
  Poor Tortured

  2015 Kawasaki Concours 14 - The Origame Sea-Dragon
Last time I did it I may have done some ass-hauling and it was a hoot. I have the perfect ride for it. I would go, but I would not want to do any side roads since the mileage and time, staying on 101, are about at my old-knees limit already.

BTW: my Passport 9500ix paid for itself several times on that trip. YMMV, but the two-lane, wide-open spaces is perfect for lazy radar operation and also the perfect conditions for electronic monitoring to work perfectly. So it's a fair ballgame.
Mar 27th 2018, 07:46 AM   #13
 Texasl's Avatar
Moderator
 
  Jan 2016
  Northeast Olalla

  07 Guzzi
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16Z1000
It wouldn't matter which way to me,if it's better counter clockwise I'm good with that. Anytime also,doesn't have to be a weekend,when I'm off the boat I don't work so I'm good for any day.
Counter clockwise is better, and here is a way to avoid the hell that is Hoquiam and Aberdeen.

Be forewarned, the stretch from Discovery Bay to Port Angeles absolutely sux, but there is good pizza in PA.
Mar 30th 2018, 11:50 AM   #14
 
  Feb 2018
  rochester, wa.

  the all mighty C14 -zx's fat sister
Ah the 101 loop.. I did the loop on my 1200 Bandit (years ago) in 6 1/2 hrs. no lie. Oh ya I did stop in P.A. for 15 minutes..

Edited by k jenson on Mar 30th 2018 at 11:58 AM
Mar 30th 2018, 02:18 PM   #15
 Arcane's Avatar
 
  Jan 2016
  Bremerton WA

  ER-6n
Quote:
Originally Posted by k jenson
Ah the 101 loop.. I did the loop on my 1200 Bandit (years ago) in 6 1/2 hrs. no lie. Oh ya I did stop in P.A. for 15 minutes..
Sounds about right. I got off work one Thursday around 5, stopped to eat at the Hungry Bear, and made it back home around 11:00 or 11:30. I think I was chasing or planting the photo tag.
Reply

  PNW Moto > Washington > Seattle > Olympia



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anyone riding in Olympia? Kawicakes Olympia 16 Oct 28th 2017 05:21 PM
Olympia Photo Tag Bill98579 Olympia 8 Aug 31st 2017 04:27 AM
Olympia and beyond RVFR Olympia 23 Mar 20th 2017 10:27 PM
Event: Olympia Toy Run SmokeyMcNug Olympia 8 Dec 4th 2016 04:02 PM
Motorcycle Ride: Olympia toy run/ ride down? FZ1Mike Seattle 1 Dec 2nd 2016 02:56 PM




Copyright © 2018 PNW Moto. All rights reserved.