Instagram     

Go Back   PNW Moto > Welcome > New Users

New Users Post up here and introduce yourself!

Like Tree8Likes
  • 2 Post By JayFree
  • 1 Post By Rusty Nail
  • 1 Post By TREX600
  • 1 Post By PeteN95
  • 1 Post By Sentinel
  • 1 Post By Chrishil54
  • 1 Post By Dragon Rider
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Apr 9th 2019, 08:06 AM   #1
 JayFree's Avatar
 
  Apr 2019
  Swisshome

  Nunya
Talking Hey everybody

I should've posted in here first and I'm sorry for breaking protocol.

My name's Jay and I'm an experienced rider in the Salem area that's happy to take a spin up to Portland to meetup with other riders for some 2 wheel fun. Right now I'm on a baby Vulcan but it's just a stopgap. Some time between fall '19 and spring '20 I'll be upgrading and handing down the Vulcan to the wifey. So if you wanna smash me in the canyons then now's your chance, because once I get back on a rocket it will be much more difficult lol!

The only reason I'm on a small bike now is because, for the first time since I was 14, I haven't had a bike for a prolonged period. I bought a brand new Harley back in 2013 and it was a total disaster. I didn't even get to crack the 8k mile marker before I'd had enough of that piece of garbage. It demoralized me and I took a couple of years off. Now I'm back on the road and getting myself comfortable again.

If anyone wants to join me on any rides please just lemme know! I don't care what kind of bike you ride or whatever, I'm an open minded guy who just wants to ride. Good riding, good food and good conversation are all I care about.

Thanks for reading my diatribe! Can't wait to get out there with y'all!!
Candiya and Rusty Nail like this.
Apr 9th 2019, 09:00 AM   #2
 Rusty Nail's Avatar
 
  Jan 2016
  Sandy

  2007 FZ1
Welcome aboard!
JayFree likes this.
Apr 9th 2019, 10:28 AM   #3
 VeritasImageryNW's Avatar
 
  Jan 2016
  Allyn, WA

  '06 HD Street Bob, '85 Yamaha FJ600, '99 Honda CBR600f4
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayFree
I should've posted in here first and I'm sorry for breaking protocol.

My name's Jay and I'm an experienced rider in the Salem area that's happy to take a spin up to Portland to meetup with other riders for some 2 wheel fun. Right now I'm on a baby Vulcan but it's just a stopgap. Some time between fall '19 and spring '20 I'll be upgrading and handing down the Vulcan to the wifey. So if you wanna smash me in the canyons then now's your chance, because once I get back on a rocket it will be much more difficult lol!

The only reason I'm on a small bike now is because, for the first time since I was 14, I haven't had a bike for a prolonged period. I bought a brand new Harley back in 2013 and it was a total disaster. I didn't even get to crack the 8k mile marker before I'd had enough of that piece of garbage. It demoralized me and I took a couple of years off. Now I'm back on the road and getting myself comfortable again.

If anyone wants to join me on any rides please just lemme know! I don't care what kind of bike you ride or whatever, I'm an open minded guy who just wants to ride. Good riding, good food and good conversation are all I care about.

Thanks for reading my diatribe! Can't wait to get out there with y'all!!
Good to have you here.

Sorry about the problems with the Harley. I've had my '06 Street Bob for years without a single hiccup. That said I have an old FJ600 that was 5 years old when I got it that just about had me swear off all Yamahas. And I had a 3 year old '84 Honda VF700 Sabre that lost 5th gear after 6 months of riding. The shop wanted as much to repair it as I paid for it.

Edited by VeritasImageryNW on Apr 9th 2019 at 10:32 AM
Apr 9th 2019, 11:16 AM   #4
 
  Jan 2016
  Lynnwood WA

  2007 Yamaha FZ6, 2008 Aprilia Tuono & 2009 Yamaha WR250R
Welcome back to the riding world. What are ya thinking of getting for a new bike?
Apr 9th 2019, 12:04 PM   #5
 TREX600's Avatar
 
  Jan 2016
  Custer, WA

  Suzuki 09 GSXR 1000 Suzuki 09 DRZ 400SM 1970 Yamaha 250 DT1 Enduro
Welcome!
JayFree likes this.
Apr 9th 2019, 12:36 PM   #6
 PeteN95's Avatar
Moderator
 
  Jan 2016
  Muklilteo, WA

  Suzuki DL1000, Honda XR650R, KTM 250 XC-W
Welcome!
JayFree likes this.
Apr 9th 2019, 04:15 PM   #7
 VeritasImageryNW's Avatar
 
  Jan 2016
  Allyn, WA

  '06 HD Street Bob, '85 Yamaha FJ600, '99 Honda CBR600f4
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayFree
Mine was a heavily modified FXDB.
I think this says a lot. Who modified the bike, and what mods were done (are we talking simply cosmetic mods or mechanical ones)? Even if it was done at a dealership, not all techs are equally capable of performing modifications.
Apr 11th 2019, 03:43 PM   #8
 Chrishil54's Avatar
 
  Jan 2016
  Kirkland

  2009 V-Star 1100 Custom
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayFree
Harley did it all themselves. I had the drag bars, a Vance and Hines straight pipe, a turbo, 6 speed tranny, upgraded brakes, best tires, candy paint, the works! Paint chipped and scratched easily, front master cylinder blew out, brake rotor cracked, pipe fell off, turbo blew out twice, tranny locked up cuz of a bad shaft bearing, the license plate mount broke off in a turn, the seat came apart and I almost fell off the dang bike, the accelerator locked up on me once and I had to hit the kill switch because it wasn't responding, fork seals started leaking within the first 1,500 miles...of course the Harley shop fought me every step of the way on who should cover costs for the repairs. THEY were on the hook. I purchased 5 warranties for around $5k total for a reason. That reason was I didn't wanna have to pay it later. They never fixed the paint problems. They made me pay hundreds of dollars to change the tires when the time came, which they promised both those things wouldn't happen. They made me pay for the new master cylinder and labor. They made me pay for much more.

Like I said, I know I'm in the minority, but it still sucks that all that happened to me.
What dealer was this? My cousin has had problems with his new HD and they've been giving him the same grief you experienced.
Apr 11th 2019, 03:48 PM   #9
 Sentinel's Avatar
 
  Jun 2016
  Poor Tortured

  2013 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Harlequin
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayFree
Probably ... a ZX10 ...
JayFree likes this.
Apr 12th 2019, 03:50 PM   #10
 Chrishil54's Avatar
 
  Jan 2016
  Kirkland

  2009 V-Star 1100 Custom
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayFree
Avalanche Harley in Lakewood, Colorado. I should've bought from one of the more reputable dealers.
It was a local dealer here, north of Seattle, south of Bellingham.

Maye it's just that the bikes sucked!
JayFree likes this.
Apr 15th 2019, 08:48 AM   #11
 VeritasImageryNW's Avatar
 
  Jan 2016
  Allyn, WA

  '06 HD Street Bob, '85 Yamaha FJ600, '99 Honda CBR600f4
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayFree
Harley did it all themselves.
A dealer doing modifications on a bike is very different from "Harley did it all themselves".
Apr 15th 2019, 10:17 AM   #12
 VeritasImageryNW's Avatar
 
  Jan 2016
  Allyn, WA

  '06 HD Street Bob, '85 Yamaha FJ600, '99 Honda CBR600f4
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayFree
I ordered the bike through that dealer, but it came from the factory with all those mods, except for the paint. That was done by a third party outlet in Golden. Or at least...that's what I was told.
Yeah, the factory won't be doing those kinds of mods. Anything the factory might add would be Screamin' Eagle parts, and the bikes are sold as CVO Specials at a significant price. Let's put it this way, the dealer scammed you if they told you that the factory added the turbo, V&H pipe, the bars, and "best" tires. Plus, all Street Bobs have come with the 6 speed since they were introduced in '06, so that wasn't a mod. And they really took you if they told you it was.

The reality is that you got ripped off by a dealership, but that has nothing to do with the quality of the stock motorcycle.

Edited by VeritasImageryNW on Apr 15th 2019 at 10:34 AM
Apr 15th 2019, 02:53 PM   #13
 VeritasImageryNW's Avatar
 
  Jan 2016
  Allyn, WA

  '06 HD Street Bob, '85 Yamaha FJ600, '99 Honda CBR600f4
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayFree
So, the fact that the bike failed me and left me stranded seven times has nothing to do with the quality of the bike? The entirety lies on the shoulders of the dealership?

Whatever you're smokin...can I have some? I can make a fortune off that stuff.

And you're wrong about the six speed, because the 2013 model came stock with a 5 speed. I know because I test rode a couple before I ordered my custom job.

While I appreciate your candor, I'm detecting a bit of hostility. I apologize if I've offended you in some way, it was unintentional. I was simply sharing my disdain for HD as a company, considering what they put me through. Regardless of the quality of the bike, I got hosed and this semantic argument has left a bad taste in my mouth.
I think you are the one smoking something odd.

2013 Harley-Davidson Dyna Street Bob - FXDB - Motorcycle USA

As you see, from the factory the 2013 Street Bob, as with all Big Twins of that year, came with the 6-speed transmission (as did my 2006). The only 2013 HDs to come with a 5-speed were Sportsters and Streets

The fact that you don't understand that you were riding a rather questionably modified motorcycle (the fact that you don't even know who actually modded the bike is clue #1 to the questionability), that left you stranded, and not a factory one also begs the question as to what you may be "smokin'". Once again, you got ripped off by a dealership, not the factory.

Let's walk this out for you.

The dealer told you that the bike was modified by the factory. That is lie number one as Harley does not build individual custom motorcycles. They have a CVO department that build custom bikes as templates for future Screamin' Eagle parts. CVO also build special edition bikes that are sold in limited numbers and cost a ton. None have been turbos.

Somehow you were led to believe that having a 6-speed transmission was an "upgrade". That's lie number two.

The factory would only install Screamin' Eagle parts, so being told that the "factory" installed V&H pipe would be lie number 3. Also, V&H do NOT make straight pipes. All of their exhaust include mufflers. As well, to install a turbo, a complete custom exhaust would need to be made, something V&H does not do.

For some reason you aren't doubting that they actually upgraded the brakes, or anything else.

You even admitted that the paint was done 3rd party, so that's not an HD issue either.

Also, there was no mention as to whether this was an aftermarket seat, or the one that came stock on the bike. Nor did you mention how hard you rode the bike.

Other than the seat and possibly the fork seals (depending on your riding style), every "problem" you list is more than likely due to a very poor modification job, including blowing up a stock transmission that is not designed to withstand the added HP of a turbo.

Here's the other thing, you should have received an in-depth invoice of all the modifications, parts, and who installed them. Again, the fact that you assume the factory did the modifications, and that you don't even have the name of the paint shop that did the tank, speaks volumes. Once again, a dealer ripped you off, not HD. All HD did was provide that dealer with a stock 2013 Street Bob.

What bothers me is that instead of honestly looking at this, you choose to blame the factory for something that they had no control over. The dealer voided all the factory warranties doing the modifications. That is not HD's problem. HD did NOT "do this to you", the dealer did. It's one thing to harp on HD for making big, over-priced bikes, but it's another to harp on HD because a dealer took a stock bike and F***ed it up.
Apr 16th 2019, 07:17 AM   #14
 
  Jan 2016
  SE PDX

Welcome, once things warm up there is usually a weekly 'eastside' and 'westside' ride. so since you've got to come up from Salem, you could make either, or both
JayFree likes this.
Reply

  PNW Moto > Welcome > New Users

Tags
distance, experienced, fresh, hey



Thread Tools
Display Modes





Copyright © 2019 PNW Moto. All rights reserved.