Instagram     

Go Back   PNW Moto > Welcome > New Users

New Users Post up here and introduce yourself!

Like Tree31Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Oct 7th 2019, 05:37 AM   #76
 Texasl's Avatar
Moderator
 
  Jan 2016
  Northeast Olalla

  07 Guzzi
Quote:
Originally Posted by MV Man
They both make numerous single-malt Scotches, so I'm not sure which ones you are asking about specifically.

But the Islay region is my favorite region. You can taste the sea salt, the seaweed, and lots of smoky peat flavor. It's like sipping an 80-proof beach campfire.
After a lot of years of sipping the more "traditional" offerings of single malts I discovered a bottle of Laphroaig in the local liquor store (10 yo, nothing too fancy) at a price point competitive with the "Glen-Bubbas," so I took a blind leap. Two fingers neat in a wide mouth rock glass to begin was a serious shock to the system. In truth I thought that I had made an expensive goof until I read the brochure that came with the whiskey and realized that the distiller even recommended a splash of cold water to "breathe out" the whiskey. Still sipping a beach campfire, but it wasn't attacking, and that was a really good thing.
MV Man likes this.
Oct 8th 2019, 04:47 AM   #77
 MV Man's Avatar
 
  Sep 2019
  Portlandia

  MV Agusta F3 800
Woo-hoo, my Porsche convertible has arrived in Seattle. Gonna make my way up there to pick it up today, visit friends and family while I'm up there, and then head back to Portlandia tomorrow. Hope the weather is going to be nice...
Oct 8th 2019, 04:54 PM   #78
 
  Mar 2018
  Olympia

  2016 Kawasaki Z1000,2015 Polaris sportsman XP1000,2017 Ktm 690 enduro R
Quote:
Originally Posted by MV Man
Woo-hoo, my Porsche convertible has arrived in Seattle. Gonna make my way up there to pick it up today, visit friends and family while I'm up there, and then head back to Portlandia tomorrow. Hope the weather is going to be nice...
Yea!!! Here’s a cookie for you. 🍪
Oct 8th 2019, 07:56 PM   #79
 MV Man's Avatar
 
  Sep 2019
  Portlandia

  MV Agusta F3 800
Picked the Porsche up today, and everything looks good. The tires are a little low, because I set the cold tire pressures when it was 85 degrees out in Maui, and picked it up when it was about 45 degrees out in Seattle. This is the first day in a LONG time, that I haven't been able to put the top down when driving that car...

Edited by MV Man on Oct 8th 2019 at 07:59 PM
Oct 8th 2019, 09:51 PM   #80
 MV Man's Avatar
 
  Sep 2019
  Portlandia

  MV Agusta F3 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasl
After a lot of years of sipping the more "traditional" offerings of single malts I discovered a bottle of Laphroaig in the local liquor store (10 yo, nothing too fancy) at a price point competitive with the "Glen-Bubbas," so I took a blind leap. Two fingers neat in a wide mouth rock glass to begin was a serious shock to the system. In truth I thought that I had made an expensive goof until I read the brochure that came with the whiskey and realized that the distiller even recommended a splash of cold water to "breathe out" the whiskey. Still sipping a beach campfire, but it wasn't attacking, and that was a really good thing.
I've tried an eye dropper, and I've tried Scotch Rocks, but I still tend to prefer my single-malts exactly as the makers had intended.

The funny thing is, that when we were preparing for this trip, we tried to learn a little about single-malt Scotch Whisky, and most of the information that we read, said that it was the ones from Islay that tended to overwhelm newbies and scare them away. But when we did our tour at the Scotch Whisky Experience on the Royal Mile in Edinburgh Scotland, it was the Islay ones that we liked the most.

Attached Thumbnails
Aloha from Maui.-20160522_183443.jpg   Aloha from Maui.-20160522_192528.jpg   Aloha from Maui.-20160522_183432.jpg   Aloha from Maui.-20160522_192301.jpg   Aloha from Maui.-20160522_192541.jpg  

Aloha from Maui.-20160522_091916.jpg  

Edited by MV Man on Oct 8th 2019 at 10:07 PM
Oct 8th 2019, 09:58 PM   #81
 MV Man's Avatar
 
  Sep 2019
  Portlandia

  MV Agusta F3 800
We did the full tour, with the tasting class, and then dinner at The Amber restaurant afterwards.

There's a whole series of videos on The Amber:

Attached Thumbnails
Aloha from Maui.-20160522_213715.jpg   Aloha from Maui.-20160522_202537.jpg   Aloha from Maui.-20160522_204905.jpg   Aloha from Maui.-20160522_211720.jpg   Aloha from Maui.-20160522_204004.jpg  


Edited by MV Man on Oct 8th 2019 at 10:15 PM
Oct 8th 2019, 10:35 PM   #82
 MV Man's Avatar
 
  Sep 2019
  Portlandia

  MV Agusta F3 800
The Scotch Whisky Experience was amazing, and definitely worth the price, but it actually wasn't our favorite drinking experience in Edinburgh.

Our FAVORITE drinking experience in Edinburgh by far, was the BrewDog Brewpub located a block below the Royal Mile.

BrewDog brews some of the most amazing beers on the planet. We were hoping to get our hands on a bottle of "Tactical Nuclear Penguin", a 32% ABV (64-proof) Imperial Stout. We knew that we had no chance of getting our hands on a bottle of "Sink The Bismarck", a 41% ABV (82-proof, as in stronger than straight Jack Daniels) IPA. And "The End Of History", a 55% ABV (110-proof, as in FLAMMABLE) beer, packaged in tuxedo-attired roadkill, had sold out instantly, at the equivalent of about $1,000 a bottle.

In the end, the best we were able to get our hands on, was the excellent Dog-D and Dog-E, a 16.1% ABV Imperial Stout brewed with Naga chilis. We had two, so I suppose that's sort of like having one bottle of Tactical Nuclear Penguin.

The brewpub was hopping. In addition to beers, we also had pizza, which they were bringing in from a gourmet pizza place next door. There was a group of young adults playing traditional Scottish music for tips (they were customers, not hired talent). The ambiance, the service, the food, the beer, the music- it was so good, we went back there the second night.





Attached Thumbnails
Aloha from Maui.-20160521_215925.jpg   Aloha from Maui.-20160521_220742.jpg   Aloha from Maui.-20160523_220517.jpg   Aloha from Maui.-20160521_223048.jpg   Aloha from Maui.-20160523_212848.jpg  

Aloha from Maui.-20160523_214118.jpg   Aloha from Maui.-20160521_223417.jpg   Aloha from Maui.-20160523_215218.jpg  
PeteN95 likes this.

Edited by MV Man on Oct 9th 2019 at 05:36 AM
Oct 10th 2019, 06:15 PM   #83
 MV Man's Avatar
 
  Sep 2019
  Portlandia

  MV Agusta F3 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasl
After a lot of years of sipping the more "traditional" offerings of single malts I discovered a bottle of Laphroaig in the local liquor store (10 yo, nothing too fancy) at a price point competitive with the "Glen-Bubbas," so I took a blind leap. Two fingers neat in a wide mouth rock glass to begin was a serious shock to the system. In truth I thought that I had made an expensive goof until I read the brochure that came with the whiskey and realized that the distiller even recommended a splash of cold water to "breathe out" the whiskey. Still sipping a beach campfire, but it wasn't attacking, and that was a really good thing.
Tonight's wee dram of single-malt Scotch Whisky, is Bruichladdich Distillery's Port Charlotte Heavily Peated Islay Single Malt 10 year 50% ABV (100 proof). It's won multiple awards.

Your post motivated us, so at the wife's request, we bundled up, put the top down on the Porsche, and drove to the liquor store to buy it.
Attached Thumbnails
Aloha from Maui.-20191010_190529.jpg  

Edited by MV Man on Oct 10th 2019 at 06:32 PM
Oct 10th 2019, 07:38 PM   #84
 MV Man's Avatar
 
  Sep 2019
  Portlandia

  MV Agusta F3 800
The traditional Glencairn glass is one that we brought back from Scotland.
Oct 11th 2019, 08:20 AM   #85
 Texasl's Avatar
Moderator
 
  Jan 2016
  Northeast Olalla

  07 Guzzi
Quote:
Originally Posted by MV Man
Tonight's wee dram of single-malt Scotch Whisky, is Bruichladdich Distillery's Port Charlotte Heavily Peated Islay Single Malt 10 year 50% ABV (100 proof). It's won multiple awards.

Your post motivated us, so at the wife's request, we bundled up, put the top down on the Porsche, and drove to the liquor store to buy it.
Glad to know that I could be some sort of motivator.
MV Man likes this.
Oct 11th 2019, 04:37 PM   #86
 MV Man's Avatar
 
  Sep 2019
  Portlandia

  MV Agusta F3 800
Ordered my retirement pistol today. A Glock 41.
Oct 11th 2019, 11:46 PM   #87
 Flyboymedic's Avatar
 
  Jan 2016
  Hazel Dell, Wa

  Honda VFR800, Husqvarna TE 610, Ducati Hypermotard 1100S, Suzuki VStrom 650, Yamaha Radian, MZ 125SM

Dude, I'm sure you're a good guy, but you should really ease up on the bragging it gets tiring. I know, why don't you create a ride report of a trip you take on your motorcycle? Oh, and for the love of cheeses, don't put it in a police report format, mmmmkaaay?
Oct 12th 2019, 06:26 AM   #88
 MV Man's Avatar
 
  Sep 2019
  Portlandia

  MV Agusta F3 800
Not bragging, just having a good time. I'm pretty excited about how life is changing for us.

I did a ride report already, although it was on a rental Ducati. I did not put it in a police report format, although some of my police reports were fun to write and fun to read. I used to run "The word of the day" contest- after roll call, I would announce a word (obsequious, superfluous, stuff like that). The first officer to get a report approved by a supervisor (a report containing the word of the day), wins the contest.

Our motorcycles probably won't be arriving in Portland until the end of the month- the shipper guaranteed us good service, no matter how long it takes...
Flyboymedic likes this.

Edited by MV Man on Oct 12th 2019 at 07:43 AM
Oct 13th 2019, 06:06 AM   #89
 Texasl's Avatar
Moderator
 
  Jan 2016
  Northeast Olalla

  07 Guzzi
Quote:
Originally Posted by MV Man
Not bragging, just having a good time. I'm pretty excited about how life is changing for us.

I did a ride report already, although it was on a rental Ducati. I did not put it in a police report format, although some of my police reports were fun to write and fun to read. I used to run "The word of the day" contest- after roll call, I would announce a word (obsequious, superfluous, stuff like that). The first officer to get a report approved by a supervisor (a report containing the word of the day), wins the contest.

Our motorcycles probably won't be arriving in Portland until the end of the month- the shipper guaranteed us good service, no matter how long it takes...
If you are a devotee of arcane, obtuse, and esoteric language this should be right in your wheelhouse.
Oct 13th 2019, 04:35 PM   #90
 MV Man's Avatar
 
  Sep 2019
  Portlandia

  MV Agusta F3 800
I think the Song Of The Sausage Creature is more my speed...

Edited by MV Man on Oct 13th 2019 at 04:38 PM
Reply

  PNW Moto > Welcome > New Users

Tags
aloha, maui


« Hello! New member | - »

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Motorcycle Ride: Beginner / New ride ride 5/10/16 Aloha Beaverton 2wheel-Will Portland 9 May 11th 2016 08:20 PM
Aloha! ChopperDr New Users 0 Jan 21st 2016 10:27 AM




Copyright © 2019 PNW Moto. All rights reserved.