Instagram     

Go Back   PNW Moto > PNW Moto > Motorcycles

Motorcycles For topics and discussions about all motorcycle makes and models

Like Tree14Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
May 25th 2016, 03:29 PM   #16
 TRAIL BOSS's Avatar
 
  Jan 2016
  Arlington

  '16 S1000XR, '08 ZX-10R, 16 Ninja 300, and the HAWG TY.
I definitely prefer the 1/2 way position. Still sporty enough for track time, but plenty of setback for snappier wheelies and less wrist fatigue.
May 25th 2016, 04:35 PM   #17
 
  Jan 2016
  Beaverton

  '13 636, '14 N1k, DR650
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGA
How awesome it would be if someone just put the same engine in their new naked as their super sports without any "tuned for low and mid range torque" nonsense. I know, I know, just get a super sport, take the fairings off and there you go...
Maybe it's just me, but with a naked bike (or any non-supersport really), I'd much rather have the low and mid end and sacrifice a bit of top end.

At ~120mph, it starts getting tough to hang on - and I have to start using the bars as leverage, which is never a good thing. Never done 150+ on a naked, but I'm not sure you could pay me to do so either.

Also....<grumble><grumble>"usable power"<grumble><grumble>.
May 25th 2016, 04:52 PM   #18
 TRAIL BOSS's Avatar
 
  Jan 2016
  Arlington

  '16 S1000XR, '08 ZX-10R, 16 Ninja 300, and the HAWG TY.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andenthal
Maybe it's just me, but with a naked bike (or any non-supersport really), I'd much rather have the low and mid end and sacrifice a bit of top end.

At ~120mph, it starts getting tough to hang on - and I have to start using the bars as leverage, which is never a good thing. Never done 150+ on a naked, but I'm not sure you could pay me to do so either.

Also....<grumble><grumble>"usable power"<grumble><grumble>.
Those sound like the telltale excuses of the fearful. "Useable power" is synonymous with "sub-par output".

I've gone much faster than 150 on a naked. If you can't hang on, maybe you should stick to bikes that better suit your lack of fortitude?
Arnbo likes this.
May 25th 2016, 05:06 PM   #19
 
  Jan 2016
  Beaverton

  '13 636, '14 N1k, DR650
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRAIL BOSS
Those sound like the telltale excuses of the fearful. "Useable power" is synonymous with "sub-par output".

I've gone much faster than 150 on a naked. If you can't hang on, maybe you should stick to bikes that better suit your lack of fortitude?
Perhaps.

FWIW, I take the N300 out when I want to pass liter bikes on the street, and my liter bike out when I want to cruise around.

140hp in the middle of a corner might be fun for some, but not me.

Sent via SM-N910T
albatrosscafe likes this.
May 25th 2016, 05:46 PM   #20
 TRAIL BOSS's Avatar
 
  Jan 2016
  Arlington

  '16 S1000XR, '08 ZX-10R, 16 Ninja 300, and the HAWG TY.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andenthal
Perhaps.

FWIW, I take the N300 out when I want to pass liter bikes on the street, and my liter bike out when I want to cruise around.

140hp in the middle of a corner might be fun for some, but not me.

Sent via SM-N910T
Passing lazy street riders on a small bike is fun, but isn't something to be proud of. Start riding your literbike well and you'll make those passes even easier.

High horsepower and cornering prowess are not mutually exclusive. Learn to use it judiciously with a smooth application. You won't be left cowering at the thought of rolling on mid-corner with tha much power on tap if you take the time to train with it.
Arnbo and equinity like this.
May 25th 2016, 06:39 PM   #21
 
  Jan 2016
  Beaverton

  '13 636, '14 N1k, DR650
I'll skip trying to make the point I obviously failed to make. I'll just be happy to agree to disagree that the overwhelming majority of riders can't really handle 100hp, let alone 180.

Sent via SM-N910T
HalcyonSon likes this.
May 25th 2016, 06:42 PM   #22
 equinity's Avatar
 
  Jan 2016
  Puyallup

  aprilia RSV4, aprilia Tuono 1100
I'm all about smaller bikes, just not for me. I'm definitely not a top level rider, but I would like to think I can ride a liter well enough to hold my own against a 300.

Back to the FZ-10 vs R1/liter, I can understand the difference and would definitely appreciate the engine, but I'm a big fan of the styling of the FZ. I also have a small issue paying a lot more for the full liter to only take off all the body panels, swap rearsets and bars and fab a bunch is custom accessories.

Yeah I don't get the inertial stuff and the extra power, but I'm not sure I'll miss it. I'm just excited about a slipper clutch. I just hope there isn't too much change in geometry.

Sent via SM-G930V
May 25th 2016, 08:12 PM   #23
 Cougar's Avatar
 
  Jan 2016
  Richland

  Yamaha FZ1, KTM Super Duke GT, Yamaha FJR, Yamaha XS650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andenthal
Maybe it's just me, but with a naked bike (or any non-supersport really), I'd much rather have the low and mid end and sacrifice a bit of top end.

At ~120mph, it starts getting tough to hang on - and I have to start using the bars as leverage, which is never a good thing. Never done 150+ on a naked, but I'm not sure you could pay me to do so either.

Also....<grumble><grumble>"usable power"<grumble><grumble>.
I've done an honest 160 on my '06 FZ1 a few times, but I've also done quite of bit of modifications to it too.
May 25th 2016, 09:03 PM   #24
 wooden's Avatar
 
  Jan 2016
  PDX

  '14 St3R, '05 DR650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustydust
Oh, I'm so glad that someone else said that! I dunno...I guess I was born too early. I'm one of those that thinks a '68 Triumph Bonneville or a '71 Norton Commando or even a 1978 Yamaha RD400 are some of the most beautiful bikes ever made.

For sure, different strokes for different folks!
I don't think anyone would argue with you that those bikes are some of the most beautiful bikes ever made - but I would argue that if manufacturers didn't mix up the looks every so often, we'd all get bored. I like the MT-10 headlights - they're modern and weird and edgy and they stand out. They're not beautiful, and they weren't meant to be.

Hell, a lot of people think my Street Triple headlights are fugly. I don't think they're beautiful, but they fit the bike. Same goes for the MT10.

On a different note, I still haven't figured out why the MT10 is called the FZ10 only in America...
May 26th 2016, 05:06 AM   #25
 equinity's Avatar
 
  Jan 2016
  Puyallup

  aprilia RSV4, aprilia Tuono 1100
Quote:
Originally Posted by wooden
I don't think anyone would argue with you that those bikes are some of the most beautiful bikes ever made - but I would argue that if manufacturers didn't mix up the looks every so often, we'd all get bored. I like the MT-10 headlights - they're modern and weird and edgy and they stand out. They're not beautiful, and they weren't meant to be.

Hell, a lot of people think my Street Triple headlights are fugly. I don't think they're beautiful, but they fit the bike. Same goes for the MT10.

On a different note, I still haven't figured out why the MT10 is called the FZ10 only in America...
I think the FZ naming is purely convention now. All the FZ- bikes we've had on this continent have all had an MT- name everywhere else.

Sent via SM-G930V
May 26th 2016, 08:25 AM   #26
DGA
 DGA's Avatar
Moderator
 
  Jan 2016
  PDX

  An Ape and a Husky
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRAIL BOSS
I definitely prefer the 1/2 way position. Still sporty enough for track time, but plenty of setback for snappier wheelies and less wrist fatigue.
Thanks. Half way meaning up? I've always liked the stock ergonomics of a ZX10, do you think that the bar height and angle can be replicated with Apex's?

Apex 3" Riser Clip-on Set with 7/8" Bar

Edited by DGA on May 26th 2016 at 08:27 AM
May 26th 2016, 01:41 PM   #27
 TRAIL BOSS's Avatar
 
  Jan 2016
  Arlington

  '16 S1000XR, '08 ZX-10R, 16 Ninja 300, and the HAWG TY.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGA
Thanks. Half way meaning up? I've always liked the stock ergonomics of a ZX10, do you think that the bar height and angle can be replicated with Apex's?

Apex 3" Riser Clip-on Set with 7/8" Bar
Close, but no. The fork clamps can't go low enough before you run into the machined taper. Lowest I've had them was even with the triple, but same downward angle.

I put a lot of miles on a stock ergo 06 10R, and I do agree. Comfy for a superbike. But the adjustable bars are much better.
May 27th 2016, 08:08 AM   #28
 TyR6's Avatar
 
  Jan 2016
  Vancouver, WA

  2011 R6, 2015 YZ250FX, 2017 FZ-10, 2018 FS450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andenthal
Never done 150+ on a naked, but I'm not sure you could pay me to do so either.
I've been pretty close to 150 on my FZ-09 and it's downright scary compared to 150 on my R6.
May 27th 2016, 08:21 AM   #29
 PeteN95's Avatar
Moderator
 
  Jan 2016
  Muklilteo, WA

  Suzuki DL1000, Honda XR650R, KTM 250 XC-W
My naked SV1k hits a wall of air right at 150, but it is stable. I go through T1 at PR pinned and the speedo climbs a little, but that is just the smaller diameter at the edge of the tire. I also have a small fly screen, so the wind blast isn't quite as intense. I rode Kirk's completely naked ZX10 monster and it felt like someone was trying to pull me off the bike at the end of the straight. No idea how fast, I was just hanging on for dear life!
May 27th 2016, 08:23 AM   #30
DGA
 DGA's Avatar
Moderator
 
  Jan 2016
  PDX

  An Ape and a Husky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andenthal
At ~120mph, it starts getting tough to hang on - and I have to start using the bars as leverage, which is never a good thing. Never done 150+ on a naked, but I'm not sure you could pay me to do so either.
It's not too bad. I've done about 160 indicated on my Tuono and it's alright, but I'm not a slight guy either, 6' and 200-210 lbs. The sloped shape of the seat helps as I can move my ass back and still squeeze the tank with my legs. I don't wrench on the bar either, but lower the left hand off the grip down to the fork and just lightly pin the throttle with my right. Like anything else, after a while you get used to it. It does make it seem so much easier when you get behind a windshield of a full fairing bike though. I do like popping up on a naked at the end of the straight and almost immediately shaving 10-15 mph off your speed acting like a big sail.
Reply

  PNW Moto > PNW Moto > Motorcycles

Tags
fz10, yamaha



Search tags for this page
Click on a term to search for related topics.
Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Yamaha R3 Recall equinity Mechanical and Technical 15 Jul 24th 2016 11:12 AM
Yamaha TW200 Suzuki Stevo Motorcycles 42 Jul 1st 2016 07:14 PM
For Sale: 2006 Yamaha FZ1 equinity Classifieds 1 Jun 30th 2016 04:52 PM
For Sale: 04 Yamaha R6 AHCHIU Classifieds 1 Mar 28th 2016 12:06 PM
Yamaha nakeds equinity Motorcycles 0 Feb 10th 2016 08:25 PM




Copyright © 2019 PNW Moto. All rights reserved.