Instagram     

Go Back   PNW Moto > PNW Moto > Motorcycles

Motorcycles For topics and discussions about all motorcycle makes and models

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Parilla125
  • 1 Post By unicykle
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Dec 12th 2018, 07:35 AM   #1
 Transported's Avatar
 
  Jan 2016
  Portland

  2006 FZ1, 1999 R1
Supersport Struggles

Motorcycle Makers Are Bailing Out of Building Supersport Bikes. Not Kawasaki.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/car...e-ninja-zx-6r/
Dec 12th 2018, 12:07 PM   #2
 ChopperDr's Avatar
 
  Jan 2016
  Buckley

  '98 HD FXD, '03 SV650 track
"Kawasaki pushed to keep the ZX-6R below $10,000. The green paint, however, pushes the base bike over that price."

Kawasaki's need to be green, I had a red one once. Wished it was green.

Chop
Dec 12th 2018, 12:23 PM   #3
DGA
 DGA's Avatar
Moderator
 
  Jan 2016
  PDX

  An Ape and a Husky
I believe Honda has proclaimed that the current CBR600RR is going to be the last model due to development costs vs. sale potential.
Dec 12th 2018, 03:47 PM   #4
 Sentinel's Avatar
 
  Jun 2016
  Poor Tortured

  2015 Kawasaki Concours 14 - The Origame Sea-Dragon
still love bikes. dont still love the road. ymmv.
Dec 12th 2018, 04:46 PM   #5
 unicykle's Avatar
 
  Sep 2017
  milwaukie oregon

  gsxr600 gsxr750 gsxr1000 i like gsxrs
Sad... just sad.
Dec 13th 2018, 06:37 AM   #6
 Parilla125's Avatar
 
  Jan 2016
  SeaTac

The old VW's had what, 65 HP and weighed 1800 LB's? I did a LOT of freeway driving with a number of different VW and Corvair's. Fast? No. Did we get there? Yes.
I think it is great that the younger (and older) riders are discovering (and rediscovering) the fun of riding a smaller bike and are not stuck in the 'race bike' "I must have at least 100 HP" mindset.
I sold a 250 Ninja to a guy at work that tracks and rides a BMW 1000RR. He got it for his kids to learn how to ride. He rode it back and forth to work a couple times (long commute) and had a 'eureka!' moment. Now he rides it fairly regularly because it it fun and gets good milage. AND is still quicker than the majority of the cars out there!
Manufacturers will go where the money is. Why do you think there are no (yet) street two strokes any more? The emissions can meet the regulations with the latest two stroke tech. The market analysis HAS to show a market for it. They are not in business to lose money. While I like the middle weight Supersport bikes and have owned a number of them, the market has changed. Shifting winds and all that...
Fallingsand likes this.
Dec 13th 2018, 02:20 PM   #7
 VeritasImageryNW's Avatar
 
  Jan 2016
  Allyn, WA

  '06 HD Street Bob, '85 Yamaha FJ600, '99 Honda CBR600f4
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGA
I believe Honda has proclaimed that the current CBR600RR is going to be the last model due to development costs vs. sale potential.
The biggest issue that the manufacturers have with the 600s is that it will cost them the same amount of money to develop a Euro5 compliant 600 as it will to develop a compliant 1000. They know that they won't be able to get people to buy a 600 that costs the same as a liter bike. Even though the article claims that Kawasaki hasn't "abandoned" the 600 market, it also says the the "new" ZX6 is simply an update, using the same engine and frame. So really, this isn't much more "news" than Honda saying it will continue to sell the CBR600RR in the states. And the same as Yamaha's "all new" R6, which was simply a major cosmetic facelift and the addition of electronic controls.

The reality is that all 4 Japanese manufacturers are selling 600 supersport bikes for 2019 (including Suzuki, which the article leaves out). The only one to actually "abandon" the class is Triumph.
Dec 13th 2018, 05:40 PM   #8
 Riki5156's Avatar
 
  Jun 2018
  LaCenter Washington

  83 Suzuki GS 1100E
Supersport

Iím curious about the supersport designation. What makes a bike a SS and who determines that?
Dec 13th 2018, 05:45 PM   #9
 unicykle's Avatar
 
  Sep 2017
  milwaukie oregon

  gsxr600 gsxr750 gsxr1000 i like gsxrs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riki5156
Iím curious about the supersport designation. What makes a bike a SS and who determines that?
Its basicly a homologated race bike, low bars high pegs and a motor tuned for hp, an fz6 high bars low pegs and a motor tuned for longevity is the street version of an r6, make sence?
VeritasImageryNW likes this.
Dec 13th 2018, 07:18 PM   #10
 Transported's Avatar
 
  Jan 2016
  Portland

  2006 FZ1, 1999 R1
I thought that replica racers came in two categories: superbike for literbike displacement and supersport for midsize displacement. Superbike was the ultimate performance street machine and 600s were as highly tuned but of smaller size.
Dec 14th 2018, 05:22 AM   #11
DGA
 DGA's Avatar
Moderator
 
  Jan 2016
  PDX

  An Ape and a Husky
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeritasImageryNW
The biggest issue that the manufacturers have with the 600s is that it will cost them the same amount of money to develop a Euro5 compliant 600 as it will to develop a compliant 1000. They know that they won't be able to get people to buy a 600 that costs the same as a liter bike. Even though the article claims that Kawasaki hasn't "abandoned" the 600 market, it also says the the "new" ZX6 is simply an update, using the same engine and frame. So really, this isn't much more "news" than Honda saying it will continue to sell the CBR600RR in the states. And the same as Yamaha's "all new" R6, which was simply a major cosmetic facelift and the addition of electronic controls.

The reality is that all 4 Japanese manufacturers are selling 600 supersport bikes for 2019 (including Suzuki, which the article leaves out). The only one to actually "abandon" the class is Triumph.
That echoes pretty much what I read. Even though they are all in the business of making motorcycles they are also in the business of making money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transported
I thought that replica racers came in two categories: superbike for literbike displacement and supersport for midsize displacement. Superbike was the ultimate performance street machine and 600s were as highly tuned but of smaller size.
At least in WSBK those are the class monikers. Superbikes are 1000cc and Super Sports are 600's.
Dec 14th 2018, 11:43 AM   #12
 Parilla125's Avatar
 
  Jan 2016
  SeaTac

The Yamaha YZF R3 is classified as a Superbike at 320cc, the Kawasaki Ninja 300 is a Sport. Don't ask me why they are different classifications.
Reply

  PNW Moto > PNW Moto > Motorcycles

Tags
struggles, supersport



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Honda 1977 CB550F Supersport: Advice on title/registration knadapus Motorcycles 10 Sep 16th 2018 08:17 AM
For Sale: SV650 supersport front end, wheels, more! SatansPetFerret Classifieds 2 Jun 21st 2018 04:38 PM
All new Ducati SuperSport? beansbaxter Motorcycles 11 Nov 2nd 2016 11:39 AM




Copyright © 2019 PNW Moto. All rights reserved.