Instagram     

Go Back   PNW Moto > PNW Moto > Motorcycles

Motorcycles For topics and discussions about all motorcycle makes and models

Like Tree26Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Nov 12th 2017, 05:46 PM   #16
 SalemCBR's Avatar
 
  Jan 2016
  Salem, Oregon

  Cbr600rr and cbr1000rr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Dodger
This video was played on a big screen TV at a MotoGP gathering I attended today.

You are now famous!
Bahahaha... me making bad cornering choices and crying like a baby!? Hahaha.
Nov 12th 2017, 08:05 PM   #17
 alienbogey's Avatar
 
  Feb 2016
  Gig Harbor

Videos like this make me glad I spent the money on an airbag jacket.

Get well soon.
Nov 12th 2017, 08:23 PM   #18
 SalemCBR's Avatar
 
  Jan 2016
  Salem, Oregon

  Cbr600rr and cbr1000rr
Quote:
Originally Posted by alienbogey
Videos like this make me glad I spent the money on an airbag jacket.

Get well soon.
I dont doubt that would have helped.
Nov 12th 2017, 08:36 PM   #19
 coastrider's Avatar
 
  Jan 2016
  Oregon Coast

  2017 BMW R1200RT
About that suit....

Sorry to hear about the crash but sounds as if the injuries all all ones that will heal. A back or neck injury might not be the same. So while this is painful the outcome could have been worse.

I was wondering if that suit could be repaired. Sure, it would have an "interesting" patch applied but it might be a quite functional track suit.
Nov 12th 2017, 09:05 PM   #20
 SalemCBR's Avatar
 
  Jan 2016
  Salem, Oregon

  Cbr600rr and cbr1000rr
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastrider
Sorry to hear about the crash but sounds as if the injuries all all ones that will heal. A back or neck injury might not be the same. So while this is painful the outcome could have been worse.

I was wondering if that suit could be repaired. Sure, it would have an "interesting" patch applied but it might be a quite functional track suit.
I dont doubt at all that a good stich on there would make it into a solid track suit. The thing doesnt have but 3 rides in it.
Nov 12th 2017, 09:18 PM   #21
 R1 Jackal's Avatar
 
  Jan 2016
  Oregon

  a bike with a single R
Thanks for posting SalemCBR, teachable moments throughout including the pain & recovery, damage and repair costs. Crashing sucks.
Nov 12th 2017, 09:23 PM   #22
 SalemCBR's Avatar
 
  Jan 2016
  Salem, Oregon

  Cbr600rr and cbr1000rr
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1 Jackal
Thanks for posting SalemCBR, teachable moments throughout including the pain & recovery, damage and repair costs. Crashing sucks.
Appreciate that. Not a fun experience. Thought I was past that type of mistake, but I missed it. Target fixated, and didnt react.
Nov 13th 2017, 06:09 AM   #23
 Texasl's Avatar
Moderator
 
  Jan 2016
  Northeast Olalla

  07 Guzzi
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalemCBR
Appreciate that. Not a fun experience. Thought I was past that type of mistake, but I missed it. Target fixated, and didnt react.
I'm not throwing rocks here, because you are using this as a (painfully) teachable moment, but one of the take aways that I get from your video is the group dynamics of your ride and how that can lead riders into some really risky behaviors. It gave everyone on the ride a much larger area of which to keep track, which in turn distracted from the main mission of scanning to clear the path of travel.

Glad that you are on the mend and learning/mentoring from all this.
Nov 13th 2017, 01:07 PM   #24
 alienbogey's Avatar
 
  Feb 2016
  Gig Harbor

After further review I'm struck by how similar SalemCBR's crash is to the Ninja rider in this video. That rider is wearing an airbag vest.

The last clear view of the Ninja guy's speedometer is 71mph, just before he leaves the pavement. He pops up apparently and reportedly unhurt.

The last clear view of SalemCBR's speedometer as he leaves the pavement is 48mph, and he sustains the injuries he listed.

It's not a scientific comparison, of course, but methinks rider airbags are a really good idea.
Nov 13th 2017, 01:13 PM   #25
 SalemCBR's Avatar
 
  Jan 2016
  Salem, Oregon

  Cbr600rr and cbr1000rr
Quote:
Originally Posted by alienbogey
After further review I'm struck by how similar SalemCBR's crash is to the Ninja rider in this video. That rider is wearing an airbag vest.

The last clear view of the Ninja guy's speedometer is 71mph, just before he leaves the pavement. He pops up apparently and reportedly unhurt.

The last clear view of SalemCBR's speedometer as he leaves the pavement is 48mph, and he sustains the injuries he listed.

It's not a scientific comparison, of course, but methinks rider airbags are a really good idea.
I think the vest is a really cool deal but this is definitely not an apples-to-apples comparison.
Nov 13th 2017, 01:16 PM   #26
 SalemCBR's Avatar
 
  Jan 2016
  Salem, Oregon

  Cbr600rr and cbr1000rr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasl
I'm not throwing rocks here, because you are using this as a (painfully) teachable moment, but one of the take aways that I get from your video is the group dynamics of your ride and how that can lead riders into some really risky behaviors. It gave everyone on the ride a much larger area of which to keep track, which in turn distracted from the main mission of scanning to clear the path of travel.

Glad that you are on the mend and learning/mentoring from all this.
Hey, I am not gonna knock constructive criticism. I have ridden with worse groups and I like that we keep clown play way out of town. Everyone rides their own ride. But sure, it is what it is.
Texasl, Fallingsand and Hachi like this.
Nov 14th 2017, 04:46 AM   #27
 ChopperDr's Avatar
 
  Jan 2016
  Buckley

  BMW R1100S '98 HD FXD 08 CBR600RR-track
Quote:
Originally Posted by alienbogey
After further review I'm struck by how similar SalemCBR's crash is to the Ninja rider in this video. That rider is wearing an airbag vest.

The last clear view of the Ninja guy's speedometer is 71mph, just before he leaves the pavement. He pops up apparently and reportedly unhurt.

The last clear view of SalemCBR's speedometer as he leaves the pavement is 48mph, and he sustains the injuries he listed.

It's not a scientific comparison, of course, but methinks rider airbags are a really good idea.
I broke my clavicle slow speed low side turn 8 at Pacific. Fast guys told me if I was going faster I would have skipped off the pavement.

I'm thinking I'll have an airbag vest or a suit on when I'm cleared to ride.

Chop
Nov 14th 2017, 05:58 AM   #28
 Texasl's Avatar
Moderator
 
  Jan 2016
  Northeast Olalla

  07 Guzzi
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalemCBR
Hey, I am not gonna knock constructive criticism. I have ridden with worse groups and I like that we keep clown play way out of town. Everyone rides their own ride. But sure, it is what it is.
Trust me, I've been on the shit show rides too. That is one of my driving reasons that I either ride alone or ride sweep.
Fallingsand, DocB and DarthVader like this.
Nov 14th 2017, 06:27 AM   #29
 Sentinel's Avatar
 
  Jun 2016
  Poor Tortured

  2015 Kawasaki Concours 14 - The Origame Sea-Dragon
Blah blah blah "...group rides..."

What was the "risky behavior" in the group that contributed to this crash?
It looks like things went south at 3:52 or 3:53 after the rider had first accelerated into the turn and then slowed from around 60 mph or so on what appears to be a pretty easy left-hand turn.
Crossed the fog line at 50ish.
Was it the car headed the other way that caused the whole thing? It seems like that guy was hugging his own right-hand line and wasn't really a cause for concern.
I see no riders doing anything particularly fucked up right before the crash except maybe the one right in front of the crasher was slowing/braking for the second half of the turn.
Was that it?
I know the fish-eye effect of the gopro messes with the apparent distances.
Nov 14th 2017, 06:59 AM   #30
 Transported's Avatar
 
  Jan 2016
  Portland

  2006 FZ1, 1999 R1
Looks to me as if OP flipped down his shield when he was already a little wide and then didn’t correct and kept too wide to pull it back. Maybe lost a little ground at the same time and tried to catch up to stay in formation which made the situation worse.

The way the group rides though, I expect we can enjoy lots of Salem crash videos in the future.
Reply

  PNW Moto > PNW Moto > Motorcycles

Tags
broken, collarbone, crash, ribs, salemcbr, video



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Video: Bone Breaking R1 Crash SalemCBR Motorcycles 9 Sep 3rd 2017 03:08 PM
CBR1000RR Crash Video SalemCBR Motorcycles 15 Sep 24th 2016 08:14 AM
3000 miles, lots of memories, only a few broken ribs! no splat matt Ride Reports 17 Sep 1st 2016 08:48 PM
First Track Day & CRASH! Video SalemCBR Motorcycles 6 Jun 17th 2016 12:27 PM
Newest SalemCBR GoPro4 Video Dustin's Ride SalemCBR Motorcycles 0 Apr 7th 2016 09:30 AM




Copyright © 2017 PNW Moto. All rights reserved.