Instagram     

Go Back   PNW Moto > PNW Moto > Motorcycles

Motorcycles For topics and discussions about all motorcycle makes and models

Like Tree5Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Nov 4th 2017, 11:17 PM   #1
 liberpolly's Avatar
 
  Jan 2016
  Seattle

  Ducati Diavel, Triumph Street Twin
Pants?

After last week's ride in the wet snow, turns out I need new waterproof riding pants for my commute. What's the latest and the hottest?
Nov 5th 2017, 07:25 AM   #2
 GPD323's Avatar
 
  Jan 2016
  Spanaway

Klim Latitude jacket and pants is what I have, you will not get wet. But water always finds a way.

https://shop.revzilla.com/motorcycle...atitude-jacket


https://shop.revzilla.com/motorcycle...latitude-pants
Nov 5th 2017, 07:49 AM   #3
 Sentinel's Avatar
 
  Jun 2016
  Poor Tortured

  2015 Kawasaki Concours 14 - The Origame Sea-Dragon
I use Icon overpants on top of a pair of kevlar riding jeans. Pants are the hardest part for me since I am tall/skinny.

https://www.sartso.com

I use these:

I have a spare set of Vanson leather pants that are pretty warm and waterproof, but they don't fit me comfortably, if you are tallish and skinnyish..... they will protect way better than nylon.
Nov 5th 2017, 07:56 AM   #4
 Texasl's Avatar
Moderator
 
  Jan 2016
  Northeast Olalla

  07 Guzzi
I have given up on finding truly dry riding gear until I get off of my wallet and get either Motoport or Stitch. I use Columbia rain pants and a vinyl backed Dutch Harbor textile rain jacket over the armored gear and gaiters to keep the pants cuffs from wicking spray.
Nov 5th 2017, 08:04 AM   #5
 GPD323's Avatar
 
  Jan 2016
  Spanaway

I wore First Gear rain gear for years and years, they worked well. You wear them over your riding jacket and pants. I just got tired of having to stop to put them on, and then later on take them off. They worked well as windbreakers too.

I still have them.

This is the jacket I have. I have the matching pants.
https://shop.revzilla.com/motorcycle...rainman-jacket
Nov 5th 2017, 08:40 AM   #6
 FeralRdr's Avatar
 
  Jan 2016
  Adjacent to the Hobbit Garage

Firstgear HT Overpants.



Got caught in a heavy rain storm on SR-14 this past September. Combined with heavy traffic creating a lot of road spray, I definitely discovered the limits of my gear. Whereas my jacket let me down a little, my HT Overpants worked great keeping me warm and dry.
chadams66 likes this.
Nov 5th 2017, 09:49 AM   #7
 
  Jan 2016
  Oregon

  2017 Kaw Ninja 1000 ABS (Z1000SX)
I carry Frogg Toggs with me, light cheap rain gear used by hunters, folds down to nothing, easy to put on or remove quickly, comes in black, tan other colors?
Nov 5th 2017, 10:14 AM   #8
 Suzuki Stevo's Avatar
 
  Jan 2016
  Seattle ,Wa

  Burgman 400, TW200, Boulevard M50 & C90T, 2018 Indian Scout 1131
Full length zippers on the legs if you can, taking off your boots to put overpants on sux
Nov 5th 2017, 10:36 AM   #9
 WarpShatner7's Avatar
 
  Jan 2016
  Stumpy Puddleton

  R1200ST, CB350
Year round freeway commuting in a pair of Olympia Ranger 2 pants taught me that it matters where the seams for the waterproof layer are. Right at the stress point between the legs is, shall we say, suboptimal, because when that seam starts to go you're gonna get completely soaked such that not only will you have a serious case of chilly willy during the ride, but when you get to the office and strip off those overpants the large strategically placed wet spot could undo years of reputation building amongst your colleages.
FidalgoRob likes this.
Nov 5th 2017, 01:52 PM   #10
 GPD323's Avatar
 
  Jan 2016
  Spanaway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzuki Stevo
Full length zippers on the legs if you can, taking off your boots to put overpants on sux
thats what I also hated, I have 2 sets of First Gear over pants that I never will put on again. Same with the rain-gear, its such a hassle and one year I bet I put them on and off multiple times one day. Just got tired of it.

The Klim gear is an 4 season deal for me. From 12 degrees to 100 degrees with the proper heated gear and or layering and or all the vents open.
Nov 5th 2017, 03:59 PM   #11
 chadams66's Avatar
 
  Jan 2016
  Garden Home

  2012 Versys...'83 BMW R80 RT...Suzuki GS 450t
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPD323
thats what I also hated, I have 2 sets of First Gear over pants that I never will put on again. Same with the rain-gear, its such a hassle and one year I bet I put them on and off multiple times one day. Just got tired of it.

The Klim gear is an 4 season deal for me. From 12 degrees to 100 degrees with the proper heated gear and or layering and or all the vents open.
I'll have to agree..with the insulated liner in the pants they're very hard to get over your boots..on or off...other than that I've been wearing the same pair for 4 years...they've kept me warm and dry through all day rain from Kennewick,Washington to Kamiah,Idaho via Enterprise,Oregon...that's 7 hours of riding in the rain...my FirstGear Kilimajaro jacket also kept me very dry...
I can't argue with Klim gear though...as long as you can afford it...
Nov 5th 2017, 04:37 PM   #12
 GPD323's Avatar
 
  Jan 2016
  Spanaway

I know, Klim gear is not cheap. I had very good results with Cortech and First Gear in the early days. The 1st Gear Rainman gear was and still is in great shape and did the job.
Nov 5th 2017, 06:17 PM   #13
 liberpolly's Avatar
 
  Jan 2016
  Seattle

  Ducati Diavel, Triumph Street Twin
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarpShatner7
Year round freeway commuting in a pair of Olympia Ranger 2 pants taught me that it matters where the seams for the waterproof layer are. Right at the stress point between the legs is, shall we say, suboptimal, because when that seam starts to go you're gonna get completely soaked such that not only will you have a serious case of chilly willy during the ride, but when you get to the office and strip off those overpants the large strategically placed wet spot could undo years of reputation building amongst your colleages.
Yeah, this is how my First Gear gave up a ghost

Thanks for suggestions, all! I'll try to find them in local stores and try on. So far, Rev'it has been the best fit for my frame, anyone has any experience with those?
Nov 6th 2017, 09:09 AM   #14
 FeralRdr's Avatar
 
  Jan 2016
  Adjacent to the Hobbit Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadams66
I'll have to agree..with the insulated liner in the pants they're very hard to get over your boots..on or off...other than that I've been wearing the same pair for 4 years...they've kept me warm and dry through all day rain from Kennewick,Washington to Kamiah,Idaho via Enterprise,Oregon...that's 7 hours of riding in the rain...my FirstGear Kilimajaro jacket also kept me very dry...
I can't argue with Klim gear though...as long as you can afford it...
That's been my same experience too.

I never considered the lack of a full length zipper an issue on my HT Overpants, as just out of habit I typically put my boots on after my pants.

Having said that, I can see it as an issue for commuters who just want a solution that lets you slip the pants on and off over their boots.
Nov 6th 2017, 12:02 PM   #15
 WarpShatner7's Avatar
 
  Jan 2016
  Stumpy Puddleton

  R1200ST, CB350
Weatherproof pants with zips that go all the way up need to have some kind of storm flap that runs the length of the zipper. My old Ranger 2s used a big durable but nonwaterproof zipper in combination with a full length storm flap sealed with heavy gauge velcro. The net effect was that it was so much work to get it open and so fiddly to get it aligned and closed neatly without bunching and bumps (which not only looked bad and affected the fit and flexibility but would also defeat the purpose by admitting water) that after the first day I treated them as non-zip and just took my boots off.

These days I use my mesh, simple side-zip pants year round, throwing in the optional thermal and waterproof liners as needed. The liners mean the boots still come off but only on bad days.
Reply

  PNW Moto > PNW Moto > Motorcycles

Tags
pants



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dainese Leather Pants and Bohn armored pants Boatdriver Bellingham 9 Nov 13th 2017 02:01 PM
For Sale: Vanson Technical Sport Rider pants-- size 35 DACTARI Classifieds 8 Feb 17th 2017 01:30 PM
For Sale: Belstaff Discovery Jacket and ezEON Pants 4XL Mic Classifieds 2 Nov 29th 2016 07:33 AM
For Sale: BMG ezEON Pants 2xl Mic Classifieds 2 Jul 14th 2016 10:30 AM
For Sale: Gear Sale!! Jackets, Pants.. TheTurk Classifieds 1 Apr 10th 2016 04:04 PM




Copyright © 2017 PNW Moto. All rights reserved.