Instagram     

Go Back   PNW Moto > PNW Moto > Motorcycles

Motorcycles For topics and discussions about all motorcycle makes and models

Like Tree22Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Jan 31st 2018, 10:54 AM   #1
 Texasl's Avatar
Moderator
 
  Jan 2016
  Northeast Olalla

  07 Guzzi
Cool Olympia Update

Okay, gumdrops, Uncle Larry here. Yes, the legislature has been in session for a while, but now there is finally some solid news to report. Before you jump for joy, it has nothing to do with lane sharing. For this year that stuff is deader than my singing career.

There are two bills that have some reasonable traction right now, SB 6070 (Motorcycle parking methods) and SB 6107 (Electric motorcycle fees). Brian Lange (ABATE of WA) and I have been pounding the pavement, walking the halls, and schmoozing the system to get these things moving forward, but now the riding community needs to step up to the plate and light up the phone lines. Everyone needs to contact their Senator and ask them to actively support moving these two bills through the system. SB 6070 could go to the floor any time, but SB 6107 still needs to be reported out of committee.

The back story:

SB 6070 (Fortunato R-31) opens the door to allow angled parking for motorcycles and multiple bikes in one spot, just like we have been doing for years. It seems easy, but state law actually calls for all vehicles to be parked parallel to the curb or edge of the road and has no provision for multiple vehicles in a common slot, although most municipalities pay no attention to this. There are some (perhaps Seattle) which are strict constructionists, which opens the door to multiple parking tickets for each slot if bikes stack in. For other than revenue, this makes no sense.

SB 6107 (Rolfes D-23) rolls back the registration surcharge for electric motorcycles from $150.00 to a more realistic $30.00. These fees were imposed in lieu of the loss in gas tax revenues, which is how we pay for the roads. Due to an ongoing software update at DOL, the proposed effective date is before the update is rolled out, so there is a substantial fiscal note (the “how much is this gonna cost, Bubba?” projection) attached. I have been working with Senator Rolfes and negotiating with DOL about the logistics and ramifications of moving the effective date out until April 2019 when the update is completed, but we still need to keep this in motion. It has had air play already so it is better to keep it moving instead of starting up anew next year.

Now, let’s get those phone lines buzzing.

If you don’t know who your Senator is follow this link.

As a reminder, I have created this thread so that people can be educated and proactive on issues. Enlightened and civil discussions are always welcome, but I will use my "formidable" moderator powers () to deal with side trackers, bitchers, and trolls.
PeteN95, liberpolly, 307T and 3 others like this.
Jan 31st 2018, 01:29 PM   #2
 Texasl's Avatar
Moderator
 
  Jan 2016
  Northeast Olalla

  07 Guzzi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasl
Okay, gumdrops, Uncle Larry here. Yes, the legislature has been in session for a while, but now there is finally some solid news to report. Before you jump for joy, it has nothing to do with lane sharing. For this year that stuff is deader than my singing career.

There are two bills that have some reasonable traction right now, SB 6070 (Motorcycle parking methods) and SB 6107 (Electric motorcycle fees). Brian Lange (ABATE of WA) and I have been pounding the pavement, walking the halls, and schmoozing the system to get these things moving forward, but now the riding community needs to step up to the plate and light up the phone lines. Everyone needs to contact their Senator and ask them to actively support moving these two bills through the system. SB 6070 could go to the floor any time, but SB 6107 still needs to be reported out of committee.

The back story:

SB 6070 (Fortunato R-31) opens the door to allow angled parking for motorcycles and multiple bikes in one spot, just like we have been doing for years. It seems easy, but state law actually calls for all vehicles to be parked parallel to the curb or edge of the road and has no provision for multiple vehicles in a common slot, although most municipalities pay no attention to this. There are some (perhaps Seattle) which are strict constructionists, which opens the door to multiple parking tickets for each slot if bikes stack in. For other than revenue, this makes no sense.

SB 6107 (Rolfes D-23) rolls back the registration surcharge for electric motorcycles from $150.00 to a more realistic $30.00. These fees were imposed in lieu of the loss in gas tax revenues, which is how we pay for the roads. Due to an ongoing software update at DOL, the proposed effective date is before the update is rolled out, so there is a substantial fiscal note (the “how much is this gonna cost, Bubba?” projection) attached. I have been working with Senator Rolfes and negotiating with DOL about the logistics and ramifications of moving the effective date out until April 2019 when the update is completed, but we still need to keep this in motion. It has had air play already so it is better to keep it moving instead of starting up anew next year.

Now, let’s get those phone lines buzzing.

If you don’t know who your Senator is follow this link.

As a reminder, I have created this thread so that people can be educated and proactive on issues. Enlightened and civil discussions are always welcome, but I will use my "formidable" moderator powers () to deal with side trackers, bitchers, and trolls.
SB 6070 passed the Senate about 12:50 today, so light up the house to get it through.

Sent via SM-G900V
Feb 1st 2018, 10:30 AM   #3
 albatrosscafe's Avatar
 
  Jan 2016
  Issaquah

  2015 Yamaha FZ-07
When I read "motorcycle parking methods" I selfishly was hoping this would allow for something like "free parking in paid lots if you park in designated motorcycle spaces" or "parking allowed in those striped areas" (you know the areas typically at the edge of a parking lot towards the store).

I never would have guessed that sharing a space was illegal... lol

On that note, would this be covered? This is what I came back to after the gym the other day.

Feb 1st 2018, 10:47 AM   #4
 Sentinel's Avatar
 
  Jun 2016
  Poor Tortured

  2015 Kawasaki Concours 14 - The Origame Sea-Dragon
Quote:
Originally Posted by albatrosscafe

On that note, would this be covered?
That's fucked up because the bike could leave, and then truck-boy has prevented the other spot from being used by a car. #selfish
Feb 1st 2018, 05:27 PM   #5
 Parilla125's Avatar
 
  Jan 2016
  SeaTac

Seattle has some horrible parking and have been nasty about motorcycle parking, which makes no sense... I have been visiting a building in Downtown that has free motorcycle parking in one corner of their garage. Today there were seven bikes there when I arrived. It appears the 'motorcycle only' parking is ONE oddball car parking spot that was modified. Most of it would have been wasted with a car. One for seven spots is pretty good...
Thanks Texas! for going to bat for us!
albatrosscafe likes this.

Edited by Parilla125 on Feb 1st 2018 at 05:29 PM
Feb 7th 2018, 08:01 AM   #6
 tod701's Avatar
 
  Jan 2016
  Stanwood

CORRECTION: HB2677 WAS passed out of the House Transportation Committee.

Edited by tod701 on Feb 7th 2018 at 02:40 PM
Feb 7th 2018, 08:17 AM   #7
 
  Apr 2016
  WA

Even if this is a common sense law with Judy still at the helm I HIGHLY doubt this pro motorcycle bill will even be read to the committee.
albatrosscafe likes this.
Feb 8th 2018, 04:55 AM   #8
 Texasl's Avatar
Moderator
 
  Jan 2016
  Northeast Olalla

  07 Guzzi
Quote:
Originally Posted by tod701
CORRECTION: HB2677 WAS passed out of the House Transportation Committee.
True, but it turned into a partisan issue (politics, not policy) and the bill was gutted, allowing local jurisdictions to be able to pass ordinances opting out.
Feb 8th 2018, 06:19 AM   #9
 tod701's Avatar
 
  Jan 2016
  Stanwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasl
True, but it turned into a partisan issue (politics, not policy) and the bill was gutted, allowing local jurisdictions to be able to pass ordinances opting out.
This substitute looks like an opt-in deal.

https://app.leg.wa.gov/CMD/Handler.a...b4j8&att=false
Feb 9th 2018, 05:25 AM   #10
 Texasl's Avatar
Moderator
 
  Jan 2016
  Northeast Olalla

  07 Guzzi
The good news is that there is a hearing for the Senate version scheduled in the House Transportation Committee at 15:30 on the 15th.

Everyone needs to contact their House representatives and ask that they support the original language of the Senate version, and will express that support to the committee members. After the partisan food fight that the House version turned into it is vital that the Democrats get the message and pledge their support.

"I will speak to the chair" is not enough, you need to garner their commitment to support.
Feb 9th 2018, 07:08 AM   #11
 Sentinel's Avatar
 
  Jun 2016
  Poor Tortured

  2015 Kawasaki Concours 14 - The Origame Sea-Dragon
how does parking get partisan?

those people could fuck up a sunny day.
fiveohford likes this.
Feb 10th 2018, 05:36 AM   #12
 Texasl's Avatar
Moderator
 
  Jan 2016
  Northeast Olalla

  07 Guzzi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentinel
how does parking get partisan?

those people could fuck up a sunny day.
It wasn't the issue itself, it was who was wanting to do what.
Feb 17th 2018, 06:49 AM   #13
 Texasl's Avatar
Moderator
 
  Jan 2016
  Northeast Olalla

  07 Guzzi
Here's your update:

SB 6070 was heard in the House Transportation Committee last Thursday and got a very warm reception. It is scheduled for executive action on the 21st, and based on the hearing and the language in the bill status report, my educated guess is that the plan is to get it out of committee and moved to the floor for passage.

"Scheduled for executive session in the House Committee on Transportation at 3:30 PM in anticipation of other legislative action."

Very rarely, if at all, do you see that "in anticipation of other legislative action" language in the report. Normally it just states that a bill is scheduled for executive action.

It would be beneficial for everyone to contact their House members next week, or even better visit their town hall meeting that most are holding this weekend, and ask for their support in passing SB 6070.
Feb 17th 2018, 10:05 AM   #14
 Sentinel's Avatar
 
  Jun 2016
  Poor Tortured

  2015 Kawasaki Concours 14 - The Origame Sea-Dragon
what am i missing? what makes this important enough for state legislators to do business on it?

is it just revenue and the idea of maximizing the take on parking tickets?

SB 6070 - 2017-18
Establishing permissible methods of parking a motorcycle.

as to the fee for electric bikes ( i have an electric car and the registration bill is on my desk right now, extra $150.00 for the privilege of not fucking up the air) i say THIS:

the thing they ignore with these electric vehicle fees that are supposed to be a way to get EV's to pony up for road use, is that EV's, not hybrids but straight battery-only vehicles, drive FAR FEWER MILES per year than gasoline cars because of their limited range and the duration of the charge cycle. EV's use the roads dramatically less than gasoline cars and trucks. that, and the fact that every owner of an EV has a regular car as well in case they want to do more than drive to the grocery store or work, so the road usage fee via gasoline tax is still paid in full.

so the whole argument is false.

Edited by Sentinel on Feb 17th 2018 at 10:12 AM
Feb 17th 2018, 11:07 AM   #15
 
  Jan 2016
  Renton

  2011 Triumph Daytona 675, 1975 Honda CB550K1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentinel
what am i missing? what makes this important enough for state legislators to do business on it?

is it just revenue and the idea of maximizing the take on parking tickets?

SB 6070 - 2017-18
Establishing permissible methods of parking a motorcycle.

as to the fee for electric bikes ( i have an electric car and the registration bill is on my desk right now, extra $150.00 for the privilege of not fucking up the air) i say THIS:

the thing they ignore with these electric vehicle fees that are supposed to be a way to get EV's to pony up for road use, is that EV's, not hybrids but straight battery-only vehicles, drive FAR FEWER MILES per year than gasoline cars because of their limited range and the duration of the charge cycle. EV's use the roads dramatically less than gasoline cars and trucks. that, and the fact that every owner of an EV has a regular car as well in case they want to do more than drive to the grocery store or work, so the road usage fee via gasoline tax is still paid in full.

so the whole argument is false.
I am interested to see that data, how far fewer miles the EV's get driven each year. This isn't the 90's anymore, they are more than a novelty that will go 30 miles on a charge these days. Teslas will do over 200 miles on a charge, IIRC the Leaf will do better than 100 miles, which meets or exceeds the daily needs of most drivers. Sure, if you road trip somewhere, you take your IC vehicle, and pay the road tax on that with the gas used, but I bet that vehicle now gets driven FAR FEWER miles per year, and FAR LESS road tax is payed. EV's weigh more for their size and tire width, therefore put more wear and tear than a comparable IC vehicle. As EV use increases, I don't see commute lengths or road wear decreasing, and EVs pay zero gas tax, what would be a better tax scheme to pay a fair share of road tax for EV use? I drive numerous vehicles, and get where EV owners are coming from that a flat tax "isn't fair based on use", but is $150 for a year of road maintenance really that awful? People pay more than that a month for channels they don't watch on TV.

Sent via SM-J727T
Reply

  PNW Moto > PNW Moto > Motorcycles

Tags
olympia, update



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Boggan's Oasis Update VegasWolf Tri-Cities 2 Dec 1st 2017 01:17 PM
Olympia Photo Tag Bill98579 Olympia 8 Aug 31st 2017 05:27 AM
HWY 20 update Eastview Bellingham 19 May 25th 2017 08:52 AM
Olympia and beyond RVFR Olympia 23 Mar 20th 2017 11:27 PM
Event: Olympia Toy Run SmokeyMcNug Olympia 8 Dec 4th 2016 05:02 PM




Copyright © 2018 PNW Moto. All rights reserved.