Instagram     

Go Back   PNW Moto > PNW Moto > Motorcycles

Motorcycles For topics and discussions about all motorcycle makes and models

Like Tree84Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Jan 11th 2017, 06:25 PM   #1
 tod701's Avatar
 
  Jan 2016
  Stanwood

Exclamation Lane splitting legislation in WA

New lane splitting legislation was introduced today.

House Bill HB1157

Washington State Legislature

It would allow riding up to 10 mph faster than traffic up to 35 mph.

Larry will undoubtedly be dropping by to fill in the details and other secret clues.

Edited by tod701 on Jan 11th 2017 at 07:21 PM
Jan 11th 2017, 06:56 PM   #2
 Texasl's Avatar
Moderator
 
  Jan 2016
  Northeast Olalla

  07 Guzzi
No secret squirrel stuff about it, only that the bill reflects the findings of the EC Berkley study.
Jan 11th 2017, 08:07 PM   #3
 
  Jan 2016
  Gig Harbor

  BMW F650GS
I wrote to my three legislators last night and included an excerpt from the UC Berkeley study's abstract along with a hyperlink to the full study. I will also call their offices, as well. Time for some participatory democracy.
Jan 11th 2017, 08:33 PM   #4
 SmokeyMcNug's Avatar
 
  May 2016
  Olympia, WA

  1996 Kat 600 "Ras-tana"
There was a neat video someone posted fairly recently that was about lane splitting. "the vanishing motorcycle" i think it was called.

Edit- here it is

Lane splitting now legal in WA...kinda..


Edited by SmokeyMcNug on Jan 11th 2017 at 08:43 PM
Jan 12th 2017, 08:26 AM   #5
 JohnnyM's Avatar
 
  Jan 2016
  Pullman, WA

  '73 CB350F, '86 VFR750F, '00 Aprilia RS250, '04 Aprilia RSV1000 R Factory(x2), '07 Star 1100 Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by FidalgoRob
I wrote to my three legislators last night and included an excerpt from the UC Berkeley study's abstract along with a hyperlink to the full study. I will also call their offices, as well. Time for some participatory democracy.
THIS is the correct answer. If you're reading this, you should be on the phone, sending an email, or arranging a meet with your elected representative RIGHT EFFING NOW.

If you don't, nothing will change- mostly the uninformed minds voting on the measure.
Jan 12th 2017, 11:01 AM   #6
 bustak2121's Avatar
 
  Jan 2016
  Marysville WA

  2013 Suzuki Hayabusa
Just emailed all the reps and commented on the Bill itself through the website! The more people we get involved the better chance we have for this Bill to pass!
tod701 likes this.
Jan 12th 2017, 02:19 PM   #7
 
  Mar 2016
  Seattle East Side

Quote:
Originally Posted by FidalgoRob
I wrote to my three legislators last night and included an excerpt from the UC Berkeley study's abstract along with a hyperlink to the full study. I will also call their offices, as well. Time for some participatory democracy.

Can you post a "ELI5" paragraph or inform those not in the know, how to take these steps ourselves?

Who do you write to? Names/Positions?
What's the address?
Phone #?
What should be included in the content of the message?
Jan 12th 2017, 02:26 PM   #8
 tod701's Avatar
 
  Jan 2016
  Stanwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astair1299
Who do you write to? Names/Positions?
What's the address?
Phone #?
Both of your Washington State House of Representatives members and your Washington State Senator.

You can contact them or find other contact info via the Legislative website.

Legislature Home

If you don't know who they are, click on the "FIND MY DISTRICT" tab on the left.
Jan 12th 2017, 03:20 PM   #9
 
  Mar 2016
  Seattle East Side

Quote:
Originally Posted by tod701
Both of your Washington State House of Representatives members and your Washington State Senator.

You can contact them or find other contact info via the Legislative website.

Legislature Home

If you don't know who they are, click on the "FIND MY DISTRICT" tab on the left.
Thanks. Comments submitted and I am sharing the shit out of this info.

Edited by Astair1299 on Jan 12th 2017 at 03:38 PM
Jan 12th 2017, 08:00 PM   #10
 
  Jan 2016
  Gig Harbor

  BMW F650GS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyMcNug
There was a neat video someone posted fairly recently that was about lane splitting. "the vanishing motorcycle" i think it was called.

Edit- here it is

Lane splitting now legal in WA...kinda..

Wow -- that is a very nicely done video. It tells the reasonable story that lawmakers need to hear.
Jan 13th 2017, 08:16 AM   #11
 PeteN95's Avatar
Moderator
 
  Jan 2016
  Muklilteo, WA

  Suzuki DL1000, Honda XR650R, KTM 250 XC-W
Done!
Jan 13th 2017, 10:10 AM   #12
 albatrosscafe's Avatar
 
  Jan 2016
  Issaquah

  2015 Yamaha FZ-07
Does this bill include or talk about any kind of education campaign around enacting lane splitting?

It can pass, but without drivers knowing about it, it could be disastrous.
Jan 13th 2017, 01:08 PM   #13
 Texasl's Avatar
Moderator
 
  Jan 2016
  Northeast Olalla

  07 Guzzi
Quote:
Originally Posted by albatrosscafe
Does this bill include or talk about any kind of education campaign around enacting lane splitting?

It can pass, but without drivers knowing about it, it could be disastrous.
There is no implementation or outreach language in the underlying measure.

As I told the Chair of house Transportation during our conversation yesterday, the outreach begins as the legislation begins to move forward, and it will happen in the press coverage, etc. of the advancing legislation, and will continue as the bill moves forward, culminating with the publicity that always comes when a host of new laws go into effect.

Many drivers are aware of the concept from either vacationing in or (dammit) relocating from California.

After that, if there needs to any real public education, there is usually NHTSA grant money available for motorcycle safety/awareness outreach.
Jan 13th 2017, 03:45 PM   #14
 Willow's Avatar
 
  Jan 2016
  Silverdale, WA

  848evo, DRZ400SM, XR100
Help me out.....

How does writing the legislature and/or representatives (not sure of the difference, just not my forte) help out in getting this passed? The way I understand it, when it gets to some point in the house, Judy Clibborn closes the lid on the whole thing.

I wrote several people last year, including Sherry Appleton, and never heard back from any of them. Not impressed with her, and sure didn't vote for her, but she's back in, anyway. I will write her again, but just not sure what kind of weight she has if Judy Clibborn shuts the whole thing down, anyway.
Jan 14th 2017, 06:56 AM   #15
 Texasl's Avatar
Moderator
 
  Jan 2016
  Northeast Olalla

  07 Guzzi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willow
Help me out.....

How does writing the legislature and/or representatives (not sure of the difference, just not my forte) help out in getting this passed? The way I understand it, when it gets to some point in the house, Judy Clibborn closes the lid on the whole thing.

I wrote several people last year, including Sherry Appleton, and never heard back from any of them. Not impressed with her, and sure didn't vote for her, but she's back in, anyway. I will write her again, but just not sure what kind of weight she has if Judy Clibborn shuts the whole thing down, anyway.
Judy decides the scheduling, but your representatives can speak to her on your behalf, saying that they are getting constituent pressure.
tod701 and Hachi like this.
Reply

  PNW Moto > PNW Moto > Motorcycles

Tags
lane, legislation, splitting



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lane Splitting Bill! Ralgha Portland 62 Apr 21st 2017 07:13 AM
Lane splitting now legal in WA...kinda.. SmokeyMcNug Motorcycles 61 Dec 12th 2016 10:55 AM
Lane splitting thread for Kitsap Willow Kitsap 1 Aug 21st 2016 01:33 AM
Lane splitting to became officially legal in Ca soon? Flyboymedic Motorcycles 11 Aug 6th 2016 11:47 AM
Lane Splitting Petition no splat matt Motorcycles 3 Mar 18th 2016 07:48 PM




Copyright © 2017 PNW Moto. All rights reserved.