Instagram     

Go Back   PNW Moto > PNW Moto > Motorcycles

Motorcycles For topics and discussions about all motorcycle makes and models

Like Tree66Likes
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Nov 3rd 2019, 12:54 PM   #46
 MV Man's Avatar
 
  Sep 2019
  Portlandia, by way of Maui

  MV Agusta F3 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentinel
when i bought a full-electric vehicle, 6 years ago, I received a govt subsidy of 7000 off the 40000 price.

that subsidy is over now.

but, this - there's a few things about e-vehicles you might want to keep in mind: (from a guy who paid a LOT of money for one, and who has since sold it for almost no money)...

1. Laptop battery. It's gonna die, and you will not want to replace it because cost. Every day available range goes down. If you do not own an e-vehicle, you cannot comment on this. Opinions don't matter. Physics matters. And at some point the vehicle becomes a white elephant. In my case, it would have been about 8000 dollars for a new battery, in a car worth less than that, AND it would have been the same old Gen 1 battery. Car companies are NOT your friends, even Tesla.

2. Range. Sorry, but you will need another vehicle. Your e-vehicle is for around town only. You are not gonna wait around to charge it anywhere. In the 6 years of e-vehicle ownership, I charged away from home zero times. One side effect of the willy nilly move to e-vehicles is that we are effectively putting range limits on ourselves. We simply will not drive an e-car from Seattle to San Francisco (or even portland) the way we can in a gas car. And so when gas gets more scarce and more expensive we are gonna be whining that we can't GO anywhere any more. We will have done it to ourselves.

3. Control. Go ahead and try to mod or even repair your Tesla. Go ahead. You cannot. E-cars will be deeply involved in the "right to repair" fiasco you are unaware of. Ask farmers about John Deer and software.

Just saying. This is a move (to battery cars) we are not any more prepared for than we were for cellphones. And we know how well THAT thing is turning out.
There's a lot of truth there.

In addition to my other career, I also have decades of successful experience running auto repair businesses.

Even after the government uses our tax dollars to PAY people to do stupid stuff, purchasing an electric vehicle still doesn't make good financial sense. When I see people buy a Tesla, a Volt, a Leaf, or even a Prius, I have to conclude that they are simply bad at math.

And that doesn't even BEGIN to touch on the environmental rape involved in producing electric vehicle batteries. The false concept that electric vehicles are "zero emissions" is incredibly ignorant, since more electricity is generated in this great nation by burning dead dinosaurs, than by any other single source. Just because the tailpipe of a Nissan Leaf is belching black coal soot into the sky at a power plant located somewhere else, doesn't mean that the vehicle owner isn't responsible for those emissions.
Rustydust and DKBOM like this.

Edited by MV Man on Nov 4th 2019 at 06:03 AM
Nov 3rd 2019, 02:28 PM   #47
 Thunder's Avatar
 
  Sep 2016
  Stanwood

  2013 Aprilia Tuono
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transported

It would help if we would subsidize electric vehicles
We being the tax payers, ( the makers), to subsidize,(welfare for the takers).

Oh, and by the way, your climate religion is being debunked more every day, like most hoaxes.
VeritasImageryNW and MV Man like this.
Nov 3rd 2019, 02:51 PM   #48
 Transported's Avatar
 
  Jan 2016
  Portland

  2006 FZ1, 1999 R1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auralumin
Um, o.k... My point was, in the 70's we had the same hysteria, whipped up by scientists, only it was reverse of today. Did we actually reach peak oil? Obviously not as gas is stupidly cheap right now. Did we have an ice age? Right now we are told it is the reverse. How dare I question the all-knowing science! Hey, maybe the answers are in Jupiter, Venus, Mars, or maybe even the moon. Getting the truth from Earth does not seem to be accurate. Keep your head in the clouds (and the rubber side down)!
Are you really so blind as to what has happened to oil? Did you miss shale refining, fracking, deep-water drilling, arctic drilling?

We have passed peak oil. The reason prices for us have not increased much is because of huge subsidies (more than $5 trillion annually), not to talk about indirect subsidies such as our military empire (about a trillion spent annually) used pretty directly to ensure a steady flow of oil in unfriendly regions around the world.

This also is not calculating the cost of pollution and inevitably global warming. A recent estimate suggested that just with the global warming pollution so far, 7 million more human lives are lost annually. Hundreds of millions could die from pollution if the Paris Accords are surpassed at the rate they are now. And, the monetary costs could be hundreds of trillions, wiping out any thought of a growing economy anywhere. (The world's wealth is only about $280 trillion.)

Meanwhile, nonsubsidized onshore wind and solar are now the cheapest energy sources, according to Bloomberg. Coal, gas and petroleum are only going higher, with subsidies and their enormous carbon footprint exoneration helping them to stay afloat.

[Not to mention what is going to happen when financial institutions realize that all of the fossil fuel in the ground is going to be stranded, meaning unable to ever be used. Stock values will tank and those hugely profitable mega corporations are going to be worth shit. And likely the world will have a depression unlike anything we have ever experienced, unless we prepare for this inevitability.]

So, drillers are spending more money on less accessible and more hazardous oil to keep up with demand. We are processing dirtier and dirtier oil, releasing more and more methane and carbon, and, with fracking, destroying the ground water of entire states. Is everyone going to drink bottled water so we can have another few more years of cheap oil and gas?
Nov 3rd 2019, 04:49 PM   #49
 chadams66's Avatar
 
  Jan 2016
  Garden Home

  2012 Versys...'83 BMW R80 RT...Suzuki GS 450t
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transported
Are you really so blind as to what has happened to oil? Did you miss shale refining, fracking, deep-water drilling, arctic drilling?

We have passed peak oil. The reason prices for us have not increased much is because of huge subsidies (more than $5 trillion annually), not to talk about indirect subsidies such as our military empire (about a trillion spent annually) used pretty directly to ensure a steady flow of oil in unfriendly regions around the world.

This also is not calculating the cost of pollution and inevitably global warming. A recent estimate suggested that just with the global warming pollution so far, 7 million more human lives are lost annually. Hundreds of millions could die from pollution if the Paris Accords are surpassed at the rate they are now. And, the monetary costs could be hundreds of trillions, wiping out any thought of a growing economy anywhere. (The world's wealth is only about $280 trillion.)

Meanwhile, nonsubsidized onshore wind and solar are now the cheapest energy sources, according to Bloomberg. Coal, gas and petroleum are only going higher, with subsidies and their enormous carbon footprint exoneration helping them to stay afloat.

[Not to mention what is going to happen when financial institutions realize that all of the fossil fuel in the ground is going to be stranded, meaning unable to ever be used. Stock values will tank and those hugely profitable mega corporations are going to be worth shit. And likely the world will have a depression unlike anything we have ever experienced, unless we prepare for this inevitability.]

So, drillers are spending more money on less accessible and more hazardous oil to keep up with demand. We are processing dirtier and dirtier oil, releasing more and more methane and carbon, and, with fracking, destroying the ground water of entire states. Is everyone going to drink bottled water so we can have another few more years of cheap oil and gas?
nope nope nope..I'm listening to a bunch of paid for by the industry deniers...I'm going to reference outdated articles and facts that died a long time ago...no new evidence of any kind can bust through..not even what I can see with my own eyes...I'm liking the past and sticking to it...I'm listening to the same liars that told me cigarettes weren't addicting and didn't have any bad effects on my life...why? because it feels good and fits into some corner of my political agenda...I get to stick it to some libs..so delicious...
Transported and Rustydust like this.
Nov 4th 2019, 06:10 AM   #50
 MV Man's Avatar
 
  Sep 2019
  Portlandia, by way of Maui

  MV Agusta F3 800
We don't need to do anything to libs. They do more to themselves than we ever could.

The Democrat's last presidential candidate (Hitlary) actually went on national television to declare that KKK Exalted Cyclops Robert Byrd (a fellow Democrat) was her "friend and mentor", reminding the world that it was the Democrats that founded the KKK, and earning her the endorsement of the KKK, as publicly announced by KKK Grand Dragon Will Quigg.

For those that don't know about Robert Byrd, this is his most famous quote:

"I shall never fight in the armed forces with a negro by my side ... Rather I should die a thousand times, and see Old Glory trampled in the dirt never to rise again, than to see this beloved land of ours become degraded by race mongrels, a throwback to the blackest specimen from the wilds."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Byrd

Rustydust likes this.

Edited by MV Man on Nov 4th 2019 at 12:20 PM
Nov 4th 2019, 06:58 AM   #51
 Parilla125's Avatar
 
  Jan 2016
  SeaTac

Hey! Anybody seen that new Kawasaki 250 that is coming out? I heard it is a four cylinder! No kidding!
DKBOM and MV Man like this.
Nov 4th 2019, 07:21 AM   #52
 MV Man's Avatar
 
  Sep 2019
  Portlandia, by way of Maui

  MV Agusta F3 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parilla125
Hey! Anybody seen that new Kawasaki 250 that is coming out? I heard it is a four cylinder! No kidding!
Thank you.

The new Kawasaki 250 should be a good track day bike. Tires would last a loooong time.

Edited by MV Man on Nov 4th 2019 at 02:30 PM
Nov 4th 2019, 07:34 AM   #53
 Transported's Avatar
 
  Jan 2016
  Portland

  2006 FZ1, 1999 R1
Quote:
Originally Posted by MV Man
We don't need to do anything to libs. They do more to themselves than we ever could.

The Democrat's last presidential candidate (Hitlary) actually went on national television to declare that KKK Exalted Cyclops Robert Byrd was her "friend and mentor", reminding the world that it was the Democrats that founded the KKK, and earning her the endorsement of the KKK, as publicly announced by KKK Grand Dragon Will Quigg.
Yawn. The problem with that demonizing of the Dems is that it is well known that after LBJ passed the Voting Rights Act, all of the racists in the Dixiecrat party fled to the Republican Party, which welcomed them.

Nixon even began the Southern Strategy to use racist dog whistles to bring the redneck racists into the fold. And his Law and Order campaign was designed to equate crime with race. And the party’s war on drugs was actually a hidden attack on minorities and young liberals.

Divide and Conquer. As with Nixon, so it is with the big orange blowhard.
Nov 4th 2019, 11:04 AM   #54
 chadams66's Avatar
 
  Jan 2016
  Garden Home

  2012 Versys...'83 BMW R80 RT...Suzuki GS 450t
Quote:
Originally Posted by MV Man
We don't need to do anything to libs. They do more to themselves than we ever could.

The Democrat's last presidential candidate (Hitlary) actually went on national television to declare that KKK Exalted Cyclops Robert Byrd was her "friend and mentor", reminding the world that it was the Democrats that founded the KKK, and earning her the endorsement of the KKK, as publicly announced by KKK Grand Dragon Will Quigg.
some people will try anything to try and..no pun intended..white wash their white nationalist president...he's proud of it..get in line..be proud..be a Proud Boy..because there's nothing quite like calling yourself a boy..vrs let's say a man...nothing quite like immersing yourself in ignorance..it feels good..works every time..makes you manly...
Rustydust likes this.
Nov 4th 2019, 11:42 AM   #55
 MV Man's Avatar
 
  Sep 2019
  Portlandia, by way of Maui

  MV Agusta F3 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transported
Yawn. The problem with that demonizing of the Dems...
Discussing well-documented facts about Democrats, is not "demonizing".

Quote:
...is that it is well known that after LBJ passed the Voting Rights Act, all of the racists in the Dixiecrat party fled to the Republican Party, which welcomed them.
True to liberal form, now you're just making up lies to try to blame Republicans for the racism of the Democrat party.

From the "Dixiecrats" Wikipedia page:

"After the 1948 election, its leaders generally returned to the Democratic Party.[2]".

The Voting Rights Act was signed into law on August 6th 1965, and the Dixiecrat Party was dissolved in 1948.

So "all of the racists in the Dixiecrat party" never "fled to the Republican Party" as you claim, nor did Dixiecrats do anything after "after LBJ passed the Voting Rights Act", because the Dixiecrat party was dissolved 17 years BEFORE the Voting Rights Act of 1965.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voting_Rights_Act_of_1965

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dixiecrat
Rustydust likes this.

Edited by MV Man on Nov 4th 2019 at 02:41 PM
Nov 4th 2019, 11:58 AM   #56
 Transported's Avatar
 
  Jan 2016
  Portland

  2006 FZ1, 1999 R1
I was referring more generically to the Southern former Democrats who moved to the Republican party after the civil rights legislation was signed by LBJ. I was not referring to the actual party. Dixie indicates racism.

Read about the Southern Strategy. Go ahead and use your favorite Wiki. It is a thing.

The war against drugs and the crime busting was a way Nixon persecuted his enemies. It was documented in Nixon’s tapes. No paranoia involved. He was out to get them.
Nov 4th 2019, 12:15 PM   #57
 chadams66's Avatar
 
  Jan 2016
  Garden Home

  2012 Versys...'83 BMW R80 RT...Suzuki GS 450t
Quote:
Originally Posted by MV Man
Discussing well-documented facts about Democrats, is not "demonizing".



True to liberal form, now you're just making up lies to try to blame Republicans for the racism of the Democrat party.

From the "Dixiecrats" Wikipedia page:

" After the 1948 election, its leaders generally returned to the Democratic Party.[2]".

The Voting Rights Act was signed into law on August 6th 1965, and the Dixiecrat Party was dissolved in 1948

So "all of the racists in the Dixiecrat party never "fled to the Republican Party" as you claim, nor did Dixiecrats do anything after "after LBJ passed the Voting Rights Act", because the Dixiecrat party was dissolved 17 years BEFORE the Voting Rights Act of 1965.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voting_Rights_Act_of_1965

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dixiecrat



Sounds like the pot is making you paranoid.
sigh..even your evidence points to the Dixiecrats as being conservatives...blah blah blah about the "party" they formed...so after it was "dissolved" they just kind of went away..never heard of again and didn't go back to the dems only to join the republicans...never happened...all of the history written on this is wrong according to you...even the evidence you provide is wrong according to you...the GOP didn't welcome them with open arms either...in fact it isn't people in the GOP who proudly fly a racist flag of one of our countries enemies...you know some people who were fighting for the right of white people to lord over the "inferior" races...nope they're all 100% Americans...in fact the GOP and it's leader aren't using that old Nixoian dog whistle of race and crime...nope he's never ever equated brown from "other places" people with crime...nope didn't happen...
I've only been on this earth for a measly 71 years...in all of that time conservative has ALWAYS equaled racist..whether or not they were in the democratic party didn't make any difference...the FACT that they left the democratic party and joined the republican party is just that a FACT...whether or not you want to admit it is up to you...it's as plain as the fake orange make up some clown with the world's dumbest comb over wears...you can not get any phonier than him..but hell bang zoom right over some people's heads (hint: usually racist heads at that)...join the party it's fun...
Rustydust likes this.
Nov 4th 2019, 12:21 PM   #58
 MV Man's Avatar
 
  Sep 2019
  Portlandia, by way of Maui

  MV Agusta F3 800
...so how about that Kawasaki 250, eh?
Nov 4th 2019, 12:24 PM   #59
 MV Man's Avatar
 
  Sep 2019
  Portlandia, by way of Maui

  MV Agusta F3 800
I hear the new Kawasaki 250 has 4 cylinders...

Edited by MV Man on Nov 4th 2019 at 02:28 PM
Nov 4th 2019, 01:35 PM   #60
 Transported's Avatar
 
  Jan 2016
  Portland

  2006 FZ1, 1999 R1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon Motorcycle
Hey guys there's an off topic thread right here http://pnwmoto.com/lounge/

This is a motorcycle forum and your in a specific motorcycle thread. Give it up already.
We discussed the fucking bike. It is impressive. A paean to a historic petroleum age.

More interesting is why manufacturers are so clueless they are making the equivalent of buggy whips in a post-carbon age.
Closed Thread

  PNW Moto > PNW Moto > Motorcycles

Tags
250, cylinder, kawi



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale: Billet aluminum adjustable levers and master cylinder Riki5156 Classifieds 0 Sep 19th 2019 11:47 PM
Kawi Z900 Syringe Motorcycles 3 May 31st 2019 10:34 PM
Front brake master cylinder cgt1229 Mechanical and Technical 11 Apr 29th 2018 01:38 PM
A clear cylinder head? Hmm... JohnnyM Mechanical and Technical 9 Sep 2nd 2016 06:55 PM
Want To Buy: Need some 06/07 ZX-10 Kawi parts ZXtasy Want To Buy 6 Jul 19th 2016 11:53 AM




Copyright © 2019 PNW Moto. All rights reserved.