Instagram     

Go Back   PNW Moto > PNW Moto > Motorcycles

Motorcycles For topics and discussions about all motorcycle makes and models

Like Tree10Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Jan 7th 2018, 03:01 PM   #1
 Cougar's Avatar
 
  Jan 2016
  Richland

  Yamaha FZ1, KTM Super Duke GT, Yamaha FJR, Yamaha XS650
If You Get Stopped For Not Having Your Visor Down

I know of at least one incident when a rider got pulled over for not having his visor down while riding. Here is what the Washington law actually says about that:

(1) It is unlawful:
(b) For any person to operate a motorcycle, moped, or motor-driven cycle which does not have a windshield unless wearing glasses, goggles, or a face shield of a type conforming to rules adopted by the state patrol

In other words, if you have a windshield on your bike you cannot be issued a ticket for not having your visor down. If you get pulled over for that, ask to see the RCW and review it with the officer. Then tell him/her to fuck off! J/K. Or am I?...

Edited by Cougar on Jan 8th 2018 at 08:44 AM
Jan 7th 2018, 05:08 PM   #2
 
  Apr 2016
  WA

The use of the term windshield is a little ambiguous in this case.
Jan 7th 2018, 05:53 PM   #3
 WarpShatner7's Avatar
 
  Jan 2016
  Here

Only somewhat relevantly, I have a habit of leaving my visor up until I'm off the line and doing 15mph or so. But I got a pretty good lesson in not doing that when the dickhead in the small pickup to my right flicked his cigarette ash out of his window literally right in my face as I overtook. Fucking ashes in my eyelashes, in the mesh of my jacket (yeah mesh in winter, it has zip-in waterproof and insulated liners) and I found flakes in my helmet and clinging to the inside of my visor.) So yeah it's not just stones off the road, crap can come at you from anywhere, like the sand that was pelting me one day on I-5 from the top of a truck three times my head height. Lower your damn visor.
albatrosscafe likes this.
Jan 8th 2018, 06:35 AM   #4
 Pavement Tested's Avatar
 
  Jan 2016
  Bremerton

  '12 ZG1400, '08 GSX1300R, '06 GSX-R 750
Well, if you are wearing sunglasses or prescription eye wear you're covered regardless.

IMO, there is not very much ambiguity there. The windshield is that clear or sometimes tinted plastic piece on the front of most bikes. Nakeds and Hardleys are about the only ones that should have to worry about this. Knowing the actual RCW # sod be nice. Any cop who wants to hassle you for something as trivial as this is clearly searching for shit so they can be a dick. That's when you just smile, take the ticket and see them in court. Then file a harassment complaint against them.

Side note, I keep my visor up alot in the summer especially at slower speeds. I also wear sunglasses so my eyes are fairly protected...except for that one time where a bee flew in my helmet and got stuck under my glasses...and stung me 3 times...right beside my eye.
Jan 8th 2018, 09:33 AM   #5
 VeritasImageryNW's Avatar
 
  Jan 2016
  Allyn, WA

  '06 HD Street Bob, '85 Yamaha FJ600, '99 Honda CBR600f4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavement Tested
IMO, there is not very much ambiguity there. The windshield is that clear or sometimes tinted plastic piece on the front of most bikes. Nakeds and Hardleys are about the only ones that should have to worry about this. Knowing the actual RCW # sod be nice. Any cop who wants to hassle you for something as trivial as this is clearly searching for shit so they can be a dick. That's when you just smile, take the ticket and see them in court. Then file a harassment complaint against them.
Actually, the ambiguity is between what is a "windshield" and what is a "windscreen". It could be argued that a "windshield" is taller than eye level, where as a "windscreen" is anything shorter than that. I certainly wouldn't consider the little clear plastic thing on my CBR a "windshield" as it will do nothing to protect my face and eyes from debris during normal riding. Its design is to deflect wind while in a racing tuck.
Jan 8th 2018, 09:38 AM   #6
 
  Jan 2016
  Oregon

  2017 Kaw Ninja 1000 ABS (Z1000SX)
You poor riders in WA....Is this how your legislators spend their time?

I'm impressed that there are no other more urgent problems they need to address.
Jan 8th 2018, 09:49 AM   #7
 Cougar's Avatar
 
  Jan 2016
  Richland

  Yamaha FZ1, KTM Super Duke GT, Yamaha FJR, Yamaha XS650
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoman
You poor riders in WA....Is this how your legislators spend their time?

I'm impressed that there are no other more urgent problems they need to address.
Yep. They had already addressed the gas pumping issue!
Jan 8th 2018, 10:17 AM   #8
 
  Jan 2016
  Oregon

  2017 Kaw Ninja 1000 ABS (Z1000SX)
Yeah, that is still an Oregon oddity... but they just passed a new law allowing drivers to pump their own under certain conditions...

When I'm on the bike, I can usually run my card and grab the pump before the attendant gets there, and they usually don't mind... And if they do, it's fun to F with them and watch how mad they get... Some stations hand me the metal clip to hold back the corrugated collar, which is very convenient...
Jan 8th 2018, 10:19 AM   #9
 
  Jan 2016
  Portland

Well, if you have a face shield on your helmet, you're wearing it, regardless of what position it's in, so...
Jan 8th 2018, 12:14 PM   #10
 tod701's Avatar
 
  Jan 2016
  Stanwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavement Tested
Knowing the actual RCW # sod be nice.

RCW46.37.530(1)(b)

Chapter 46.37 RCW: VEHICLE LIGHTING AND OTHER EQUIPMENT
Jan 8th 2018, 02:36 PM   #11
 Pavement Tested's Avatar
 
  Jan 2016
  Bremerton

  '12 ZG1400, '08 GSX1300R, '06 GSX-R 750
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeritasImageryNW
Actually, the ambiguity is between what is a "windshield" and what is a "windscreen". It could be argued that a "windshield" is taller than eye level, where as a "windscreen" is anything shorter than that. I certainly wouldn't consider the little clear plastic thing on my CBR a "windshield" as it will do nothing to protect my face and eyes from debris during normal riding. Its design is to deflect wind while in a racing tuck.
You're putting opinion on naming the device. Whether you consider the device a shield or screen, it is what it is, by law. Doesn't matter it you have to tuck to get under it on a CBR or can stand on your seat behind the adjustable screen on a BMW, it's the same device and falls under the same regulation.

What do you call the thing on your helmet? Face shield? Visor? It's the same thing. Nomenclature, no performance.
Jan 8th 2018, 02:49 PM   #12
 VeritasImageryNW's Avatar
 
  Jan 2016
  Allyn, WA

  '06 HD Street Bob, '85 Yamaha FJ600, '99 Honda CBR600f4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavement Tested
You're putting opinion on naming the device. Whether you consider the device a shield or screen, it is what it is, by law. Doesn't matter it you have to tuck to get under it on a CBR or can stand on your seat behind the adjustable screen on a BMW, it's the same device and falls under the same regulation.

What do you call the thing on your helmet? Face shield? Visor? It's the same thing. Nomenclature, no performance.
You miss the point. If the intent of the law is that a "windshield" will protect your eyes, then a "windscreen" on a sport bike doesn't qualify. Remember that the law was written prior to the existence of sport bikes and the only devices available where those big plexiglass windshields that protected the upper body and face from debris.

Yes, you might be able to argue the point that a sport bike screen qualifies, but the same can be said for the opposing argument. That's why I say there is enough ambiguity for it to be problematic.

It's why those LED underglow lights are technically not illegal. Because the law specifically says "neon" is illegal, and LEDs aren't neon lights. But, the intent of the law could be construed as making them illegal.

It's up to each person to decide if it's worth risking a ticket, on a technicality.

Sent via SM-G950U
Jan 9th 2018, 03:59 AM   #13
 Texasl's Avatar
Moderator
 
  Jan 2016
  Northeast Olalla

  07 Guzzi
Absent a standard, as established by W.A.C., the legal standard is the one that is called out in the R.C.W., and RCW 46.37.530 addresses WSP (standards division) adopting rules governing glasses, goggles, and face shields.

In the interest of enjoying tossing facts into a opinionated discussion I will look into the existence of a W.A.C. citation later.
Jan 9th 2018, 07:00 AM   #14
 Bald Guy's Avatar
 
  Jan 2016
  Kennewick

  KTM SAR Husqvarna Strada, Ural Patrol and a shit load of BN125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasl
Absent a standard, as established by W.A.C., the legal standard is the one that is called out in the R.C.W., and RCW 46.37.530 addresses WSP (standards division) adopting rules governing glasses, goggles, and face shields.

In the interest of enjoying tossing facts into a opinionated discussion I will look into the existence of a W.A.C. citation later.
WAC 201-10-026 is the standard the WSP has adopted for approved eye protection.

Nothing is cut and dried in the RCW. Nothing.

Jan 9th 2018, 08:31 AM   #15
 PeteN95's Avatar
Moderator
 
  Jan 2016
  Muklilteo, WA

  Suzuki DL1000, Honda XR650R, KTM 250 XC-W
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavement Tested
What do you call the thing on your helmet? Face shield? Visor? It's the same thing. Nomenclature, no performance.
My dual sport helmet has both a visor, opaque and sticking out horizontal above the eye port, and a face shield, clear and hinged to cover the eye port. FYI
Reply

  PNW Moto > PNW Moto > Motorcycles

Tags
stopped, visor



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Want To Buy: Clear visor hj-09 SmokeyMcNug Want To Buy 0 Jul 13th 2016 10:07 AM




Copyright © 2018 PNW Moto. All rights reserved.