Instagram     

Go Back   PNW Moto > PNW Moto > Motorcycles

Motorcycles For topics and discussions about all motorcycle makes and models

Like Tree46Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Mar 7th 2018, 11:30 PM   #61
 liberpolly's Avatar
 
  Jan 2016
  Seattle

  Ducati Diavel, Aprilia Scarabeo
For a laptop, I actually recommend a backpack over saddlebags - a motorcycle specific one to be sure. I tried both.
Mar 8th 2018, 04:48 AM   #62
 MotoDan's Avatar
 
  Apr 2016
  Olympia

  2014 KTM 690 / BMW R1150 GS
One bike will do it all BMW R1150GS is it a cruiser? It can be anything you want it to be, and do it well.
chadams66 likes this.
Mar 8th 2018, 06:43 AM   #63
 WarpShatner7's Avatar
 
  Jan 2016
  Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoDan
One bike will do it all BMW R1150GS is it a cruiser? It can be anything you want it to be, and do it well.
Nonsense, clearly he's really asking for one of these:

https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/...515898137.html
Attached Thumbnails
Help me Choose a Cruiser-screen-shot-2018-03-08-10.39.58-am.jpg  
Didley likes this.
Mar 8th 2018, 07:15 AM   #64
 CaptainAwesome's Avatar
 
  Jan 2016
  WA

  Harley Davidson LR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Didley
I work on Harbor Island but will be living in Gig Harbor (well... it's pretty much Purdy). I'll be taking the ferry (thus, the motorcycle). I think total riding mileage is under 30 (one way).

Storage is actually something I should consider. I'll have a laptop for work, so I'll either be storing it (plus rain gear) in a back pack or in saddle bags.

Another option for luggage is attaching the backpack to a sissy bar. It's way nicer than carrying it on your back, but is easy to take with you once you get where you're going. If it was a daily thing hard luggage might not be a bad idea, but that has more of a touring or bagger feel to it IMHO. And girls greatly prefer riding a bike that has a sissy bar, just saying.


As far a bike choice goes I don't think you'll see too many options for a classic cruiser pop up anymore, but other bikes that could work for commuting. I will say cruisers are a whole lot more comfortable if you're built bigger, a bit more like wearing a shoe that fits verse one a size too small.

Basically have Harley, Victory or Indian, or the imported versions of that. Any cruiser can be modified and adjusted to fit you and what you need out of it for commuting pretty easily. I'd go with what excites you most.
Mar 8th 2018, 09:15 AM   #65
 
  Jan 2016
  Renton

  2011 Triumph Daytona 675, 1975 Honda CB550K1
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainAwesome
Another option for luggage is attaching the backpack to a sissy bar. It's way nicer than carrying it on your back, but is easy to take with you once you get where you're going. If it was a daily thing hard luggage might not be a bad idea, but that has more of a touring or bagger feel to it IMHO. And girls greatly prefer riding a bike that has a sissy bar, just saying.


As far a bike choice goes I don't think you'll see too many options for a classic cruiser pop up anymore, but other bikes that could work for commuting. I will say cruisers are a whole lot more comfortable if you're built bigger, a bit more like wearing a shoe that fits verse one a size too small.

Basically have Harley, Victory or Indian, or the imported versions of that. Any cruiser can be modified and adjusted to fit you and what you need out of it for commuting pretty easily. I'd go with what excites you most.
Along the same vein as a backpack on a sissy bar, a friend of mine bought a used Speed Triple that came with a Ventura bag, that kind of works on the same principle but a little more refined in implementation. He liked it so much, when he got a second bike, he bought another Ventura for that bike. We did a 1000 mile weekend last summer, and he was able to fit everything he needed for a long weekend in that bag.

Sent via SM-J727T
Mar 8th 2018, 11:42 AM   #66
 WarpShatner7's Avatar
 
  Jan 2016
  Here

I'm always curious about the V-Rod, and good examples can be found in that price range. The looks, the stance and the Porsche design engine are a draw for me but I've never ridden one. Any thoughts about those for something like this?
Mar 8th 2018, 12:18 PM   #67
 chadams66's Avatar
 
  Jan 2016
  Garden Home

  2012 Versys...'83 BMW R80 RT...Suzuki GS 450t
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarpShatner7
I'm always curious about the V-Rod, and good examples can be found in that price range. The looks, the stance and the Porsche design engine are a draw for me but I've never ridden one. Any thoughts about those for something like this?
just about the only Harley I would consider...Porsche designed the heads not the engine...they're great bikes..grab one...beware though..besides the lady's bike..they're the Harley that even Harley riders hate (hint: it's too fast)...
Mar 8th 2018, 12:52 PM   #68
 CaptainAwesome's Avatar
 
  Jan 2016
  WA

  Harley Davidson LR-S
The torque is different on them so they don't pull the same (which is what makes Harley's fun), but they will pull away easily once they get going.
Lot of guys love them and tend to hot rod them out, but I haven't seen many of them ride 2-up.

If I wanted to build a bike to stand out, it be a V-Rod.

Mar 8th 2018, 01:00 PM   #69
 MarvTravis's Avatar
 
  Jan 2016
  Kirkland, WA

  Kawasaki ZX-14
A fellow rider rode a V-Rod a few times and, with the relatively-low, feet-forward pegs, he found his heels would occasionally touch down on the pavement while cornering. Something to consider and determine before purchasing.
Mar 8th 2018, 03:00 PM   #70
 liberpolly's Avatar
 
  Jan 2016
  Seattle

  Ducati Diavel, Aprilia Scarabeo
I would get a Sportster before VRod - this thing actively resists turning, it's uncanny.
Mar 8th 2018, 06:50 PM   #71
 
  Mar 2018
  Gig Harbor

  2008 BMW R1200GS Adventure
I always liked the look of the VRod...

The real problem is I like almost everything you guys have mentioned.
liberpolly and Skiffman like this.
Mar 9th 2018, 07:40 AM   #72
 Suzuki Stevo's Avatar
 
  Jan 2016
  Seattle ,Wa

  Burgman 400, TW200, Boulevard M50, 2018 Indian Scout 1131, 2018 Indian Chieftain Classic
I have been told the Ergos suk on the V-Rod?

(Your mileage may vary?)
Mar 9th 2018, 08:11 AM   #73
 WarpShatner7's Avatar
 
  Jan 2016
  Here

Well, I have no experience but every video I've ever watched about the V-Rod features a guy saying stuff like "this kicks so much ass" and just plain "oh my god".

I like this one. He talks about how it's a good fit for a big guy. Though I wouldn't go for the paintwork myself, and I like my neighbors too much for the Vance & Hines.

Mar 9th 2018, 09:04 AM   #74
 CaptainAwesome's Avatar
 
  Jan 2016
  WA

  Harley Davidson LR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Didley
I always liked the look of the VRod...

The real problem is I like almost everything you guys have mentioned.
Have you had a chance to ride one? Might hop on it and go "Holy crap!" and no longer care about anything that's not ideal.

They're more of a muscle bike than a cruiser, built for that 'no one seems to know about' 2nd group of Harley riders. The ones that are torque addicts and never want a full bagger.
My bike was also made for that group, the Lowrider S, but it came out in 2016 so it will be off your price range. (If it wasn't I'd recommend it in a heart beat ). A built up Dyna however would fall into your price range and may offer you a lot of the same things.


All I'm saying is try out a few bikes and don't write anything off before you do. All the internet research in the world comes down to nothing once you let that clutch out.
Didley likes this.
Mar 13th 2018, 06:14 PM   #75
 
  Mar 2018
  Gig Harbor

  2008 BMW R1200GS Adventure
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarpShatner7
Well, I have no experience but every video I've ever watched about the V-Rod features a guy saying stuff like "this kicks so much ass" and just plain "oh my god".

I like this one. He talks about how it's a good fit for a big guy. Though I wouldn't go for the paintwork myself, and I like my neighbors too much for the Vance & Hines.


His laugh after that first punch leaving the parking lot... Lol. I have definitely missed riding.
CaptainAwesome likes this.
Reply

  PNW Moto > PNW Moto > Motorcycles

Tags
choose, cruiser



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Motocop chasing 2up cruiser Squidly Motorcycles 13 Mar 7th 2018 07:13 PM
Motorcycle strafes and few riders, a cruiser and a car what do you think? GPD323 Motorcycles 11 Jun 30th 2016 03:59 AM




Copyright © 2018 PNW Moto. All rights reserved.