Instagram     

Go Back   PNW Moto > PNW Moto > Motorcycles

Motorcycles For topics and discussions about all motorcycle makes and models

Like Tree71Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Nov 12th 2017, 01:48 PM   #31
 WarpShatner7's Avatar
 
  Jan 2016
  Stumpy Puddleton

  R1200ST, CB350
A previous owner of my house had a couple of loud Harleys. I've had many neighbors mention in conversation how much they appreciate how quiet my bikes are. The neighbor directly behind me on the next street over -- gone before I came along -- hated them with such a passion that to this day that's the first thing anyone mentions about him.
Nov 12th 2017, 01:59 PM   #32
 Cougar's Avatar
 
  Jan 2016
  Richland

  Yamaha FZ1, KTM Super Duke GT, Yamaha FJR, Yamaha XS650
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeritasImageryNW
I have heard plenty of sport bikes, and "ricer" cars that were just as loud, if not more so, than most Harleys. And Harley riders are less likely to bounce off the rev limiter in every gear, something you can't say about a lot of sport bike riders.
I apologize. I forgot that if others are doing it then it's okay to piss everybody else off by being a totally obnoxious asshole.
Nov 12th 2017, 02:19 PM   #33
 VeritasImageryNW's Avatar
 
  Jan 2016
  Allyn, WA

  '06 HD Street Bob, '85 Yamaha FJ600, '99 Honda CBR600f4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar
I apologize. I forgot that if others are doing it then it's okay to piss everybody else off by being a totally obnoxious asshole.
You miss the point. Stop lumping all Harleys and Harley owners into one group, excluding the fact that sport bikes have a rather large group of "asshole" owners as well.

In reality you will find more Harley riders taking part in positive community events than you will ever see sport bike riders. If you see a large group of Harleys in traffic, the greater chance is that they are taking part is some sort of charity ride, or riding for a fallen soldier. You can't say that with a large group of sport bikes. Greater chance is that they are blocking lanes with wheelies and rolling burnouts. Other than at a the track that's pretty much the only time sport bike riders gather in large numbers.

So really, where are greater number of "asshole" riders.

Sent via SM-G950U
mjn likes this.
Nov 12th 2017, 02:29 PM   #34
 CaptainAwesome's Avatar
 
  Jan 2016
  WA

  Lowrider S
If his bike is that loud its illegal, most Harley riders dont like it that loud, but one tends to only remember the really loud ones.


Start with talking to him politely, a little respect goes a long, long ways. Starting off aggressive just makes their response agressive. If his exhaust is illegally loud the cops can do something about it. But if you address this problem treating him like an asshole thats all youll get back from him. Then he will probably find the most obnoxious way to stay legal, like having a biker meetup at his house every night.

Point is treat him like his offense wasnt intentional, be polite and not that passive aggressive bullshit polite people do around here and you maybe surprised that he was unaware of the problem and will go out of his way to be polite himself. Saving your friends all that money for such a silly issue.

Or be shitty with him and see hes probably way better at being shitty back.


Either way dont group all Harleys in with this one person. Hell, i wouldnt be surprised if it wasnt even a Harley but an Indian or a chopper. Be like assuming any Yamaha rider just splits traffic on the 405 at 120mph while doing a wheelie.


Anyways, I think weve made record time in getting things off topic and onto this topic again. Any chance of getting it back on track? Nope? Bummer.

Again OP, try hdforums, those guys are pretty honest about it. Heck check out this one on the best handling Dyna

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...ng-dyna-4.html

Couple quotes from that topic made by Harley riders:
Quote:
All harleys handle like shit compared to the competition from Europe and Japan. They're overweight, underpowered, poorly suspended, turn like a train, and are overpriced. They can't compete in MotoGP, Supermoto, or even flat track.
Nobody buys a harley for its handling characteristics. We buy them for reasons that can't be explained in measurements. Ride On!
Quote:
Everyone here knows we were discussing the gold medal winner at the special olympics. That always goes without saying.

Like Ive said, this weird Harley mentality Ive only ever come across on these PNW forums. Not any other forum and certainly not on the road. I just dont get it. Or maybe its just a couple people who always post anti Harley stuff and those of us who enjoy thier bikes feel the need to stand up for them.

At any rate its only a light rain today. I say we put this to bed and go for a ride!





​​​​​​​
Nov 12th 2017, 02:53 PM   #35
 WarpShatner7's Avatar
 
  Jan 2016
  Stumpy Puddleton

  R1200ST, CB350
There's only one way to settle the question of which is the coolest Harley: "what would Buckaroo Banzai ride?"



(1983 XR1000)
Nov 12th 2017, 03:32 PM   #36
 Transported's Avatar
 
  Jan 2016
  Portland

  2006 FZ1, 1999 R1
“Hey, hey, hey, hey-now. Don't be mean; we don't have to be mean, cuz, remember, no matter where you go, there you are.”
Tripledij and WarpShatner7 like this.
Nov 12th 2017, 04:00 PM   #37
 chadams66's Avatar
 
  Jan 2016
  Garden Home

  2012 Versys...'83 BMW R80 RT...Suzuki GS 450t
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeritasImageryNW
I have heard plenty of sport bikes, and "ricer" cars that were just as loud, if not more so, than most Harleys. And Harley riders are less likely to bounce off the rev limiter in every gear, something you can't say about a lot of sport bike riders.
wait...Harleys have rev limiters?
Nov 12th 2017, 04:30 PM   #38
 Cougar's Avatar
 
  Jan 2016
  Richland

  Yamaha FZ1, KTM Super Duke GT, Yamaha FJR, Yamaha XS650
The guy in question works until midnight. He doesn't need an alarm clock because Mr. "OOOOOOOO Look at MEEEEEE!" Warms his bike up at 5:00am, waking up the whole neighborhood. Yes, there are idiot sport bikers and loud rice burners, but that's just deflecting from the issue.
Nov 12th 2017, 04:33 PM   #39
 VeritasImageryNW's Avatar
 
  Jan 2016
  Allyn, WA

  '06 HD Street Bob, '85 Yamaha FJ600, '99 Honda CBR600f4
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainAwesome
If his bike is that loud its illegal, most Harley riders dont like it that loud, but one tends to only remember the really loud ones.


Start with talking to him politely, a little respect goes a long, long ways. Starting off aggressive just makes their response agressive. If his exhaust is illegally loud the cops can do something about it. But if you address this problem treating him like an asshole thats all youll get back from him. Then he will probably find the most obnoxious way to stay legal, like having a biker meetup at his house every night.

Point is treat him like his offense wasnt intentional, be polite and not that passive aggressive bullshit polite people do around here and you maybe surprised that he was unaware of the problem and will go out of his way to be polite himself. Saving your friends all that money for such a silly issue.

Or be shitty with him and see hes probably way better at being shitty back.


Either way dont group all Harleys in with this one person. Hell, i wouldnt be surprised if it wasnt even a Harley but an Indian or a chopper. Be like assuming any Yamaha rider just splits traffic on the 405 at 120mph while doing a wheelie.


Anyways, I think weve made record time in getting things off topic and onto this topic again. Any chance of getting it back on track? Nope? Bummer.

Again OP, try hdforums, those guys are pretty honest about it. Heck check out this one on the best handling Dyna

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...ng-dyna-4.html

Couple quotes from that topic made by Harley riders:





Like Ive said, this weird Harley mentality Ive only ever come across on these PNW forums. Not any other forum and certainly not on the road. I just dont get it. Or maybe its just a couple people who always post anti Harley stuff and those of us who enjoy thier bikes feel the need to stand up for them.

At any rate its only a light rain today. I say we put this to bed and go for a ride!





​​​​​​​
Technically, any installing any exhaust that is louder than the stock exhaust is illegal. So that could be said for pretty much any bike out there with aftermarket exhaust since I don't know of any that isn't even slightly louder than stock.

I think the big difference is tone. It's like those kids with monster speakers, what we hear the most outside the car is the bass. It even cuts into our houses as the car goes by on the road. The Harley tone is like that, it carries differently than an inline four does.

And yes, there are a particular few on this forum that will jump onto any thread that mentions the MoCo to spew their disdain for the brand. Seemingly forgetting that this is a "motorcycle" forum and simply ignoring threads about bikes they don't like.

Sent via SM-G950U
Nov 12th 2017, 04:38 PM   #40
 VeritasImageryNW's Avatar
 
  Jan 2016
  Allyn, WA

  '06 HD Street Bob, '85 Yamaha FJ600, '99 Honda CBR600f4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar
The guy in question works until midnight. He doesn't need an alarm clock because Mr. "OOOOOOOO Look at MEEEEEE!" Warms his bike up at 5:00am, waking up the whole neighborhood. Yes, there are idiot sport bikers and loud rice burners, but that's just deflecting from the issue.
No, that's just pointing out the reality that an anti-Harley bias is rearing its head.

And I have the same issue with our neighbor and his Cummins Dodge pickup at 4am. Fires that thing up and his custom "big rig" exhaust rumbles through my walls. Every morning, even weekends. But I don't blame all diesel truck owners for being "assholes". It's all part of being able to modify our machines for our personal pleasure. Just because we don't like someone's choice of vehicle, or modification doesn't make them an "asshole", but being butthurt over it does.

Sent via SM-G950U
mjn likes this.
Nov 12th 2017, 04:51 PM   #41
 WarpShatner7's Avatar
 
  Jan 2016
  Stumpy Puddleton

  R1200ST, CB350
Just as an aside, in a motorcycling forum "butthurt" is a compliment, or ought to be. If you're not butthurt, you're not riding enough.
Texasl and Dubnut like this.
Nov 12th 2017, 04:55 PM   #42
 cgt1229's Avatar
 
  Feb 2016
  Bellingham

  Suzuki
Winter is nearing, folks need something to argue about, this proves to be a good subject.
3 reply threads are boring.
Only ridden a 76 XLCR AMF Voit and a 01 Lightning, briefly.
Glad I had the opportunity to ride something American, as all the other rides I've ever had were over the pond models, Pacific and Atlantic.
Nov 12th 2017, 05:32 PM   #43
 Skiffman's Avatar
 
  Apr 2016
  Kitsap

  Yamaha Venture Victory Octane
Hate to be a killjoy for all you haters but here is a positive early review.

https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/201...-9-fast-facts/

Fact #3 states things pretty plain to all you wannabe gofast haters.



Sound like a bunch of Old Women with your complaining about noisy bikes!
Funny thing is I have aftermarket pipes on both my bikes. They both get mistaken for Harleys lol
A V4 and a twin that winds to 8,000 rpm.....,
chadams66 likes this.

Edited by Skiffman on Nov 12th 2017 at 05:35 PM Reason: add pic
Nov 12th 2017, 06:52 PM   #44
 liberpolly's Avatar
 
  Jan 2016
  Seattle

  Ducati Diavel, Triumph Street Twin
For this kind of money, I'll take Ducati XDiavel, thanyouverymuch.
Nov 12th 2017, 08:29 PM   #45
 alienbogey's Avatar
 
  Feb 2016
  Gig Harbor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transported
I have no Harley hate. And I don’t care what others ride. It doesn’t affect me much.

I have had a lifelong love of two wheelers, from my first tricycle to bicycle to Briggs & Stratton minibike to my first real dualsport back in the 1970s.

And I can say that I have never had the slightest interest in Harleys. If someone gave me one, I would probably ride it some. But seeing them, hearing them, smelling them, knowing their history, none of it has ever done anything for me. They just never struck the right set of emotions or sensations.
This was me, too, pretty much exactly.

Several years ago I got back into motorcycles following a long, children-induced hiatus. After plenty of research I decided on a Bonneville. Found a nice used one. When the salesman got to me I happened to be sitting on a Sportster out of curiosity.

I test rode the Bonnie and came back decided upon buying it. That damn salesman had the Sportster sitting out ready for me to test it too. I started to say no, then thought, why not, free motorcycle ride, and I've never ridden a Harley.

I got on, started it, and asked the guy if it was running right. He said it was. YGTBSM. I shrugged and took it for a spin. Within a very short time I realized that rather than continuing to sneer at the bike under me I was having a really good time.

Got back, stared at the Bonnie, the Sportster, the Bonnie.......and bought the Sportster. Great decision.

Since then I've rented a number of HD's in various places and, 1 or 2 up, have enjoyed every one. HD's are very good at what they do. That doesn't mean everyone has to like them, but it does mean I don't understand all the bashing.

VeritasImageryNW and Dubnut like this.
Reply

  PNW Moto > PNW Moto > Motorcycles

Tags
glide, harleydavidson’s, sport, thoughts


« Energica Eva | - »

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Full wrap on Harley Davidson Fat Boy StevePNW Seattle 9 Dec 21st 2016 11:25 AM
1974 Harley-Davidson XLH1000 Sportster rigid hardtail Red Label Moto Marketplace 5 Jun 29th 2016 01:05 PM




Copyright © 2017 PNW Moto. All rights reserved.