Instagram     

Go Back   PNW Moto > PNW Moto > Motorcycles

Motorcycles For topics and discussions about all motorcycle makes and models

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By equinity
  • 1 Post By Cougar
  • 1 Post By Cougar
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Mar 20th 2018, 04:44 PM   #1
 
  Apr 2017
  Renton

  2001 Aprillia Falco SL1000
Dumb Helmet Question...

I have a 2 year old Bell Star helmet which seems to fit my head just fine in an upright position. I ride an Aprillia Falco which has a mild sport bike riding position.
When i get into a more tucked position I am looking out the extreme top of the eye opening. It is to the point where i have to push the helmet up a little to center my view.
I am thinking there may be a more appropriate helmet out there with an eye opening designed for a tucked position. I am ready to buy something else.
Does anyone have a suggestion as to what brand/model i should start looking at?

thanks in advance,
Fred
Mar 20th 2018, 05:25 PM   #2
 Skiffman's Avatar
 
  Apr 2016
  Kitsap

  Yamaha Venture --Victory Octane
Try either the Arai or Shoei. Whichever fits your shaped head best. Scorpions are a good choice also. All are used by racers.
Mar 20th 2018, 06:36 PM   #3
 Pavement Tested's Avatar
 
  Jan 2016
  Bremerton

  '12 Concours14, '08 GSX1300R, '06 GSX-R 750
Racers also wear the Bell Star at the professional level.

I think its the helmet size and not the opening. The situation you describe is from your head pivoting inside the helmet when you essentially look up cuz that's what you do as you tuck, your head pivots up in relationship to your body. The helmet should move with your head in all directions. If you're getting that kind of movement then the helmet is too big for you.

A helmet should be snug all the way around the crown of your head and typically in the cheeks. It should not rotate or move up and down easily on your head. It should obviously not have pressure points around the crown or cause headaches. I've also found that if chewing gum while wearing it is easy and you don't almost bite the inside of your cheeks then it too loose.
Mar 20th 2018, 07:26 PM   #4
 unicykle's Avatar
 
  Sep 2017
  milwaukie oregon

  Aprilia rsvr gsxr600 gsxr1000
A new helmet should be tight almost to tight, you dont want pressure points but and overall tight fit, if its not jaming your cheeks, when it breaks in it will be loose and move around in wind buffeting and require you to constantly re adjust it, im a fan of arai or shoei all the cheap helmets ive had either the foam starts deteriorating or the cheap glued on do dads start coming off after a year or maby two.
Mar 20th 2018, 09:10 PM   #5
 Thumperpilot's Avatar
 
  Jan 2016
  Rome

  SV650S, CRF450R, and others
Bell Star

I'm partial to the Bell Star Race myself though the fit was slightly better with a Bell Star Carbon (still my favorite fit of all time for helmets owned). I believe it has the largest eyeport of any helmet these days. It has a lot of other great new features as well...
Mar 21st 2018, 08:59 AM   #6
 Burphel's Avatar
 
  Jan 2016
  Travelling around the NW

  Triumph Bonnezilla, Little Ninja
I'd start by trying to put a bit of foam on the front/top of the inside of your helmet. Shorai batteries come with a bunch of adhesive-backed foam that's great for this, or you could cut some out of the front of a shoe insole and use double stick tape. Add 1/8-1/4" of foam just back of where your hairline starts (or where it used to start) between the EPS and the comfort liner. That'll tilt the helmet back enough and shouldn't affect the rest of the fit too badly.

My Shoei X14 has an adjustable liner that kinda tilts the helmet back for race tuck. Same concept, if you're willing to shell out like $700 for a new helmet and it fits ok.
Mar 21st 2018, 10:13 AM   #7
 Brassneck's Avatar
 
  Apr 2016
  Seattle, WA

  '79 XS650; '01 FZ1
In my opinion, your Falco is fairly upright (I had one back in the early 2000's), how often are you riding in a full tuck? I have an FZ1, which is similar in stance, and my Shoei RF1200 works quite well...but at full tuck, it's still a relatively thin view angle. And that's mostly to due with the design of the bike's sitting position.

If you're running stock sitting position (stock pegs/bars, etc) when you're tucked, your pretty much forcing you head upward while your body is bending forward unnaturally to the sitting position. If you drop your bars to put you down lower up front and added some rearsets that would but your legs back further, your head/eyes would be in better alignment with the viewing angle and sitting position when tucked (hope this makes sense). Personally, I don't tuck way down on my FZ1 on the streets like I would on my race bike when on the track. The stance is not ideal, but I can still get on it in a 3/4 tuck and see what I need to see no problem.

For helmets, the Bell Star you have is designed for a more upright riding position whereas there are other helmets that are designed for a 3/4 tuck- full tuck position, and have a better viewing angle when down low. You could check out: Shoei X14, Arai Corsair X, The Bell Star Race as mentioned, HJC Rpha 11 just came out and seems to be a hit. All of these are going to be in the $500-$1000+ depending on where you find them though...so if you are down in that tuck position a lot, might be worth the investment.

Good luck!
Mar 21st 2018, 10:18 AM   #8
 equinity's Avatar
 
  Jan 2016
  Puyallup

  Yamaha FZ1, Aprilia RSV4 R
Dumb Helmet Question...

I have both a Bell Star and Bell Race Star. They are different helmets. The normal Star has what they call 'Street View' and it's not the best in full tuck because the view port is shifted down for better street viewing. The Race Star, however, has the view port shifted up so that in full tuck the top bar one in the way.

I love my Bell helmets. The Race Star is one of the safest helmets ever made due to its Flex technology. Race Star uses 3K CF too, so itís lighter.

I have both a FZ1 and RSV4.

You can compare the Bellís to the Shoei RF and X series.
Thumperpilot likes this.

Edited by equinity on Mar 21st 2018 at 10:20 AM
Mar 21st 2018, 05:18 PM   #9
 Sentinel's Avatar
 
  Jun 2016
  Poor Tortured

  2015 Kawasaki Concours 14 - The Origame Sea-Dragon
they make helmets with this exact thing in mind. touring helmets have more forward viewports. racing helmets have ports the are higher up on the front surface, for reasons you said.

you want an R model of whatever helmet fits you.

i like scorpion but that's mostly because it fits me perfectly. that said, i would not pay the name-brand premium for arai or shoei.
Mar 22nd 2018, 11:45 AM   #10
 Cougar's Avatar
 
  Jan 2016
  Richland

  Yamaha FZ1, KTM Super Duke GT, Yamaha FJR, Yamaha XS650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentinel
they make helmets with this exact thing in mind. touring helmets have more forward viewports. racing helmets have ports the are higher up on the front surface, for reasons you said.

you want an R model of whatever helmet fits you.

i like scorpion but that's mostly because it fits me perfectly. that said, i would not pay the name-brand premium for arai or shoei.


Neither would I. I wear HJC's because they fit my head and are much less expensive. More money does not mean better quality or better protection.

Re: https://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Mo...stHelmets.html

and

https://jalopnik.com/5582380/how-the...urnalist-fired
Sentinel likes this.
Mar 24th 2018, 02:36 PM   #11
 Sentinel's Avatar
 
  Jun 2016
  Poor Tortured

  2015 Kawasaki Concours 14 - The Origame Sea-Dragon
I remember that article. It hit me just like it was supposed to. I had been a SNELL accolyte, and have owned Shoei (but not Arai). However, that was before Shoei got insane about their prices. Far as I'm concerned it wasn't the SNELL expose that killed Shoei but their greed and deception.

At any rate, ECE is a fine standard, and SNELL 2010 only fixed part of its problem. SNELL still yields too "hard" of a helmet, IMO, and exposes the squishy brain parts to too much deceleration in favor of penetration over-protection.

I am a Scorpion guy now, although I am unhappy with the quality of their smoked shields. They are crap. The tinting wipes right off as soon as you try and clean off the summer bugs. I like their yellow tint. It is actually fairly tough.

That part about magazines being all about advertising first and foremost and "truth" being a secondary (or later) value should be obvious to any and all consumers. Media does not exist for your benefit, any of it. The opposite may be said to be true much of the time.
Mar 24th 2018, 02:46 PM   #12
 Cougar's Avatar
 
  Jan 2016
  Richland

  Yamaha FZ1, KTM Super Duke GT, Yamaha FJR, Yamaha XS650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentinel
I remember that article. It hit me just like it was supposed to. I had been a SNELL accolyte, and have owned Shoei (but not Arai). However, that was before Shoei got insane about their prices. Far as I'm concerned it wasn't the SNELL expose that killed Shoei but their greed and deception.

At any rate, ECE is a fine standard, and SNELL 2010 only fixed part of its problem. SNELL still yields too "hard" of a helmet, IMO, and exposes the squishy brain parts to too much deceleration in favor of penetration over-protection.

I am a Scorpion guy now, although I am unhappy with the quality of their smoked shields. They are crap. The tinting wipes right off as soon as you try and clean off the summer bugs. I like their yellow tint. It is actually fairly tough.

That part about magazines being all about advertising first and foremost and "truth" being a secondary (or later) value should be obvious to any and all consumers. Media does not exist for your benefit, any of it. The opposite may be said to be true much of the time.
I lost all respect for Brian Catterson after he fired Dexter Ford.
Sentinel likes this.
Mar 24th 2018, 02:55 PM   #13
 WarpShatner7's Avatar
 
  Jan 2016
  Here

  R1200ST, CB350
I wonder if it would be possible to get a bill on the agenda of the state legislature to accept the ECE certification for street use. It would certainly increase one's helmet choices: there are an imperial shedload of helmets made for the European market that they never bother to send to the DOT for certification.
Mar 24th 2018, 07:48 PM   #14
 equinity's Avatar
 
  Jan 2016
  Puyallup

  Yamaha FZ1, Aprilia RSV4 R
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarpShatner7
I wonder if it would be possible to get a bill on the agenda of the state legislature to accept the ECE certification for street use. It would certainly increase one's helmet choices: there are an imperial shedload of helmets made for the European market that they never bother to send to the DOT for certification.


I think you have a misconception regarding the DOT sticker. DOT is a self certify system. The DOT doesn't actually do any testing. Watch this.


Sent via iPhone
Mar 31st 2018, 09:20 AM   #15
 
  Jan 2018
  Portland, OR

  2014 Honda CB1100, 2014 Suzuki GSXr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiffman
Try either the Arai or Shoei. Whichever fits your shaped head best. Scorpions are a good choice also. All are used by racers.
I'm on a CB1100. I love my Arai, but it tends to bleed a little air (seemingly right into my eyes, drying them out) on long-distance trips. I have a Signet-Q, and the factory shield doesn't like to stay down (even locked, it's still bleeding air). My aftermarket iridium is doing pretty well, but still bleeds some.

I'm probably going Shoei next round.

That said, NO problems when I'm on my Gixxer, guess the Signet-Q was meant for sport... X-/
Reply

  PNW Moto > PNW Moto > Motorcycles

Tags
dumb, helmet, question



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
question about c/v carbs wadester33 Mechanical and Technical 10 Feb 12th 2018 04:54 AM
Battery Question Transported Mechanical and Technical 12 Dec 4th 2017 05:07 PM
Classifieds Question R Roughspur Vancouver 5 Mar 17th 2017 04:26 AM
Tire question Yammy88 Kitsap 21 Feb 27th 2016 10:47 PM
Maybe a stupid question equinity Track 22 Feb 7th 2016 03:17 PM




Copyright © 2018 PNW Moto. All rights reserved.