PNW Moto

PNW Moto (http://pnwmoto.com/pnw-motorcycle-forum.php)
-   Motorcycles (http://pnwmoto.com/motorcycles/)
-   -   New rider buying a used Yamaha. (http://pnwmoto.com/motorcycles/new-rider-buying-used-yamaha-6494/)

Syringe Feb 19th 2021 09:47 AM

You might also just want to get a Shorai battery instead of a tender. I've let my ZX-10 sit several months over the winter, and it'll just kick over and start after that interval like it was used the day before.

Not that you need weight loss on an R3, but a Shorai would take probably 5 lbs. off, anyway.

SlimJim Feb 20th 2021 12:17 PM

I went to a parking lot and practiced U-turn and braking.
I felt comfortable about left U-turn and I started doing righthand U-turn and I somehow lost focus and squeezed the clutch too much. The bike lost momentum and I dropped it!!
The fairing has two 4 inch cracks right where the turn signal light is.
The frame sliders will arrive today but I could not wait to go ride. lol.

Then I drove a few miles on the road. It was exciting and overwhelming a little because I had to think about shifting. lol.
I leaned the bike left and right while cruising and it felt weird to have the bike move under me. But very fun. Rain started to pour down for a few minutes and I came back home.
I will go out again soon!

Transported Feb 20th 2021 12:30 PM

Frame sliders will arrive maņana. The proverbial barn door closure after the bike has spilled.

That is why we often recommend used little bikes to new riders. All new riders are going to dump it. Probably many times.

I learned on dual sport bikes in the dirt as a kid, and I was on the ground daily for the first year.

Flyboymedic Feb 20th 2021 04:03 PM

Glad to hear you're getting out there but sad to hear you dropped it. That's exactly why a used bike is recommended. But hey, the scratching is already done and now you don't have to worry about it anymore!

If you wanna sell it and start fresh I'll offer you $3000 cash tonight. [emoji6]

Sent via Etch A Sketch

SlimJim Feb 20th 2021 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flyboymedic (Post 64342)
Glad to hear you're getting out there but sad to hear you dropped it. That's exactly why a used bike is recommended. But hey, the scratching is already done and now you don't have to worry about it anymore!

If you wanna sell it and start fresh I'll offer you $3000 cash tonight. [emoji6]

Sent via Etch A Sketch

:D

In the afternoon, I focused on the smooth throttle control and spent about an hour in the parking lot.
I was getting better with throttle control and getting more comfortable with leaning the bike.

And I went on the road and freeway also. I tucked down as low as i could but the wind was still strong at 70mph.

When I came home the Odometer read 35 miles.
It was a very fun 1st day!

I won't be able to ride it again for at least 6 days. :(

WarpShatner7 Feb 21st 2021 07:31 AM

Don't feel too bad. Slow right hand u-turns are awful even for experienced riders, because they so rarely come up in real life that when you do have to do one you're fighting all your instincts and muscle memory. But it's being timid and freezing up that makes you fall down. Take a deep breath, look well into the turn (NOT AT THE GROUND!) and do it like you mean it. But do lots of breezy figure eights first, a big and fast as you need them to be to feel comfortable, to warm up. Then try making them a little smaller and slower. Do your u-turn practice after you've done a whole bunch of those.

Texasl Feb 21st 2021 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WarpShatner7 (Post 64344)
Don't feel too bad. Slow right hand u-turns are awful even for experienced riders, because they so rarely come up in real life that when you do have to do one you're fighting all your instincts and muscle memory. But it's being timid and freezing up that makes you fall down. Take a deep breath, look well into the turn (NOT AT THE GROUND!) and do it like you mean it. But do lots of breezy figure eights first, a big and fast as you need them to be to feel comfortable, to warm up. Then try making them a little smaller and slower. Do your u-turn practice after you've done a whole bunch of those.

And as a follow up to the good advice, practice your throttle finesse.

After you warm the bike up, and with the bike in neutral:
  1. Very gently begin to bring engine rpm's up, but not to exceed 1/4-3/8 throttle. Aim for taking the throttle up in 10 seconds or more.
  2. Bring the engine up to roughly 1/8 throttle and learn to hold it at that point for 10-15 seconds.
  3. Bring the engine up to the same 1/8 throttle, hold for 5 seconds, then try to gently bring it up to 1/4 throttle without any jumps, hold that, then gently roll off.
  4. Rinse and repeat until you are proficient.

When you get to the point that you can bring it up gently and hold it at 1/4 throttle for 10-15 seconds practice slipping the clutch to get the bike moving in a straight line without fully releasing the clutch or backing off of the throttle. Vary your speed with the clutch, not the throttle, using the REAR brake to help stabilize system. Get good with that and then begin to work on slow lazy "S" weaves, increasing the amplitude of your weaves as you get more comfortable with moving the bars. At some point graduate to doing the large figure 8's.

The final "Pro Tip:"

Relax your hand on the throttle and use the flexing of your hand to do the micro-control of the throttle, not your wrist. I tell my students to give the "Okay" sign while holding their throttle then wrap the other fingers loosely around the throttle, squeezing their "Okay" to gently add throttle.

SlimJim Feb 21st 2021 09:40 PM

Thanks for all the helpful tips! I will for sure keep visiting the parking lot.

Washington law requires rear fender for my bike.
How strictly is the law enforced by the police?
Should I leave it on? Or should I get a fender eliminator kit?
If it is a controversial topic, I will stay on the conservative side and leave the rear fender as is.
Thank you.

mjh937 Feb 21st 2021 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlimJim (Post 64351)
Thanks for all the helpful tips! I will for sure keep visiting the parking lot.

Washington law requires rear fender for my bike.
How strictly is the law enforced by the police?
Should I leave it on? Or should I get a fender eliminator kit?
If it is a controversial topic, I will stay on the conservative side and leave the rear fender as is.
Thank you.

My FZ-07 had a similar rear fender to your R3. It was one of the first things to go. I have never heard of anyone getting hassled about it. I did make sure i got a fender eliminator with a license plate light just in case. The only downside is you will get a wet back if you ride in the rain.

Tripledij Feb 22nd 2021 06:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjh937 (Post 64352)
The only downside is you will get a wet back-crack-sack-socks if you ride in the rain.

You left out some fun details. After one particularly soggy trip to Neah Bay I pay a lot more attention to weather when riding my Tuono for that reason. :(

Texasl Feb 22nd 2021 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlimJim (Post 64351)
Thanks for all the helpful tips! I will for sure keep visiting the parking lot.

Washington law requires rear fender for my bike.
How strictly is the law enforced by the police?
Should I leave it on? Or should I get a fender eliminator kit?
If it is a controversial topic, I will stay on the conservative side and leave the rear fender as is.
Thank you.

The sea lawyers amongst us will insist that the superstructure that holds the seat/tail faring up is the equivalent of a fender. I haven't seen or heard of a lot of enforcement actions on eliminated fenders, but if you decide to do it make sure that the license plate is still visible. That is a much more desirable "pick me" flag for Johnny Law than an eliminated fender.

FWIW, I am not in favor of fender eliminators because it is a cosmetic change with no performance payback, but it can give Officer Obie a semi-legit probable cause to initiate an encounter. I already do enough stuff to potentially stand out. ;)

WarpShatner7 Feb 22nd 2021 08:21 AM

Fender eliminators are fine if you don't commute in the rain or ride on dirty roads and gravel (enjoy those stone chips, car behind me). As for the rain, one thing I like even less than making a rooster tail is being behind a rooster tail.

Flyboymedic Feb 24th 2021 07:21 AM

Aaaaaand this just popped up on CL yesterday. Looks like a very nice deal for someone. These are fantastic bikes for the beginner or advanced rider....so much fun!
https://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/...281907155.html

Syringe Feb 24th 2021 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flyboymedic (Post 64369)
Aaaaaand this just popped up on CL yesterday. Looks like a very nice deal for someone. These are fantastic bikes for the beginner or advanced rider....so much fun!
https://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/...281907155.html

That's a nice Ninja 250! I've recommended that as a first bike to several folks, and that one's got what it needs on it. Even enough miles to show it's been ridden some.

Texasl Feb 25th 2021 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flyboymedic (Post 64369)
Aaaaaand this just popped up on CL yesterday. Looks like a very nice deal for someone. These are fantastic bikes for the beginner or advanced rider....so much fun!
https://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/...281907155.html

If you really liked me you would get me that for my birthday..........or Easter.......or just 'cause. :D


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 10:35 AM.

Copyright © 2021 PNW Moto. All rights reserved.