Instagram     

Go Back   PNW Moto > PNW Moto > Mechanical and Technical

Mechanical and Technical Mechanical and technical topics, help, and discussions

Like Tree14Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Apr 23rd 2017, 06:35 PM   #16
 
  Jan 2016
  Beaverton

  Triumph Tiger 800XC
Screwdriver

These were also used on GM cars. The screwdriver is called a posidrive from SnapOn.
Apr 24th 2017, 05:43 AM   #17
 Skiffman's Avatar
 
  Apr 2016
  Kitsap

  Yamaha Venture Victory Octane
When all else fails, filing the pointy tip off a phillips works....,
Apr 24th 2017, 10:12 AM   #18
 curve addict's Avatar
 
  Apr 2016
  Auburn, WA

  ...1987 Yamaha FZR1000...
I have used JIS screwdrivers for years. I was surprised to learn that many shops that service Japanese machines do not use them. The last two shops I worked in, the owners had never heard of them. They use them now.

Another little tip: JIS screws generally have one small dimple/dot on their face. You can look for that dot before deciding on which driver to use.
Apr 24th 2017, 11:10 AM   #19
 WarpShatner7's Avatar
 
  Jan 2016
  Stumpy Puddleton

  R1200ST, CB350
Quote:
Originally Posted by curve addict
I have used JIS screwdrivers for years. I was surprised to learn that many shops that service Japanese machines do not use them. The last two shops I worked in, the owners had never heard of them. They use them now.
It's possible that the tools they were using were JIS compatible even without saying so. Ames screwdrivers were (German made, went out of business a couple of years ago), there seems to be some body of opinion that Snap-Ons are as well.

I suspect a lot of us who have secondhand bikes with stripped out heads got their bikes from someone who worked on them with the kind of tools that cost $19.99 for a set of 100, or just a dollar each from the bins near the checkout at Ace hardware. Probably not a good idea not to use that kind of crappy tool on anything but your wooden deck project.

One takeaway given that a literal JIS certification is hard to find and we're reduced to folklore: use good tools and make sure they seat really well before torquing them hard; and in the worst case, if it costs you one screwhead to discover that it cams out, lesson learned: throw both the screwdriver and screw out and replace them both.
Apr 24th 2017, 02:32 PM   #20
 Flyboymedic's Avatar
 
  Jan 2016
  Hazel Dell, Wa

  Honda VFR800, Husqvarna TE 610, Ducati Hypermotard 1100S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiffman
When all else fails, filing the pointy tip off a phillips works....,
No...no it doesn't....not like a JIS tip screwdriver. It's still not the same as a JIS screwdriver. When all else fails, it means you didn't get the right tool to begin with.

Folks, just spend the money on JIS if you haven't already. The BEST MONEY you'll spend on a simple screwdriver bar none. I keep JIS tips on my bike tool kit and keep a JIS screwdriver in my at home tool kit.
Thumperpilot likes this.
Apr 26th 2017, 09:57 AM   #21
 wooden's Avatar
 
  Jan 2016
  PDX

  '14 St3R, '05 DR650
I'm honestly shocked at the number of people here who didn't realize there's a difference between JIS and Philips...

The most obvious difference when looking at the bits is the part in between the crosses:


Note how the Philips bits aren't nearly as sharp and actually have an angle to them in between the cross pieces. This essentially forces the bit to back out of the screw if too much rotational force is applied without enough force in the direction of the screw axis. JIS bits do not do this and thus do not strip as easily (when used on JIS screws, that is).
Apr 26th 2017, 11:02 AM   #22
 JohnnyM's Avatar
 
  Jan 2016
  Pullman, WA

  '73 CB350F, '86 VFR750F, '00 Aprilia RS250, '04 Aprilia RSV1000 R Factory(x2), '07 Star 1100 Classic
True story. I discovered JIS drivers seemed hard to find, and now I understand why. But man, do they make a BIG difference!

I purchased this set of JIS drivers off Amazon. I also purchased a couple of the Vessel JIS "Impact" drivers as well, for those more stubborn screws. Specifically, this one, and this one.

The latter work just like a standard impact driver, you whack them on the end with a hammer and they turn slightly while applying pressure and a slight concussive force to the head of the screw.

I no longer fear those rusted screws, nor the screws that haven't been turned since the bike was new, a good 35+ years ago.
Apr 26th 2017, 02:56 PM   #23
 HalcyonSon's Avatar
 
  Apr 2016
  Renton

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyM
True story. I discovered JIS drivers seemed hard to find, and now I understand why. But man, do they make a BIG difference!

I purchased this set of JIS drivers off Amazon. I also purchased a couple of the Vessel JIS "Impact" drivers as well, for those more stubborn screws. Specifically, this one, and this one.

The latter work just like a standard impact driver, you whack them on the end with a hammer and they turn slightly while applying pressure and a slight concussive force to the head of the screw.

I no longer fear those rusted screws, nor the screws that haven't been turned since the bike was new, a good 35+ years ago.
I need a set of those. Had a look at my front brake reservoir cover today, and those screws are looking pretty rough.
Apr 26th 2017, 05:35 PM   #24
 Nathan's Avatar
 
  Jan 2016
  space needle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboymedic
No...no it doesn't....not like a JIS tip screwdriver. It's still not the same as a JIS screwdriver. When all else fails, it means you didn't get the right tool to begin with.

Folks, just spend the money on JIS if you haven't already. The BEST MONEY you'll spend on a simple screwdriver bar none. I keep JIS tips on my bike tool kit and keep a JIS screwdriver in my at home tool kit.
JIS Do It!
Flyboymedic likes this.
May 1st 2017, 07:28 PM   #25
 HalcyonSon's Avatar
 
  Apr 2016
  Renton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan
JIS Do It!
Done.

Tried to get my master cylinder cap off with a regular Phillips... not happening.
May 1st 2017, 08:18 PM   #26
 MarvTravis's Avatar
 
  Jan 2016
  Kirkland, WA

  Kawasaki ZX-14
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalcyonSon
Done.

Tried to get my master cylinder cap off with a regular Phillips... not happening.
If you are ultimately successful in removing the screws on your master cylinder cover, when you reinstall them, tighten them using only your thumb and one finger on the screwdriver. The screws have a very fine thread, and will sufficiently secure the master cylinder cover.

Watch the appropriate sections of the Delboy's Garage video, Delboy?s Garage, Harley Sportster Brake Fluid Change.. Loosening the screws beginning at 5:45; tightening the screws beginning at 17:40.

Edited by MarvTravis on May 2nd 2017 at 09:25 AM
May 15th 2017, 11:20 AM   #27
 HalcyonSon's Avatar
 
  Apr 2016
  Renton

Finally got the JIS impact screwdriver in. It just feels like a hefty standard screwdriver, but it worked like a charm. Perfect fit. Didn't even need to whack it to get the master cylinder screws out.
May 15th 2017, 02:33 PM   #28
 Tripledij's Avatar
 
  Jan 2016
  Custer WA

  Aprilia Tuono 1100
I like impact screwdrivers.
Awhile back I stripped out a metric allen head bolt on my bike. So I used the next size up sae socket drive hex wrench that I tapered the end of with an angle grinder using a flap disk. Worked great.
Reply

  PNW Moto > PNW Moto > Mechanical and Technical

Tags
bike, correct, newbie, screwdriver



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hello from newbie muttskie New Users 10 Mar 1st 2017 12:17 PM
Still new but in the correct forum James New Users 8 Jun 11th 2016 02:39 PM




Copyright © 2017 PNW Moto. All rights reserved.