Go Back   PNW Moto > PNW Moto > Mechanical and Technical

Mechanical and Technical Mechanical and technical topics, help, and discussions

Thread Tools
Aug 21st 2017, 08:21 AM   #1
  Aug 2017

Importing Bike

Hey guys,

I'm new to the area from Texas, and I'm in the process of swapping track bikes out with a guy in Vancouver. We're doing an even trade, and the bike I'm bringing in has all it's stock stuff, even though it's set for track.

Is anyone familiar with the import process? I've been googling a bunch and I think I just need the EPA form and DOT form, but if anyone has imported a track or street bike down from Canada and could just give me an idea of what to expect, I'd appreciate it.

Aug 21st 2017, 03:48 PM   #2
 PeteN95's Avatar
  Jan 2016
  Muklilteo, WA

  Suzuki DL1000, Honda XR650R, KTM 250 XC-W
A letter from the manufacturer stating it meets all EPA and DOT requirements, regardless if it will ever be on the road. FYI
Aug 21st 2017, 08:14 PM   #3
  Aug 2017

Thanks Pete, It's a 2015 CBR300R, so I know it will meet standards. Should I just call up a local dealer or any recommendations?
Aug 21st 2017, 10:36 PM   #4
 MikeMikeMike's Avatar
  Feb 2016

I would also recommend talking to the DOL. I'm guessing they will want you to pay sales tax on the fair market value regardless of how much money traded hands (even if no money was exchanged). So expect to pay 10% sales tax on 90-ish percent of the MSRP plus some filing fee for the trouble you caused those fine people.
Aug 22nd 2017, 06:39 AM   #5
 Wrench's Avatar
  Jan 2016
  West Richland, WA

There is a way that I used myself to register a Honda NSR250 here in WA. Cost less than $200 total to get WA plates and registration. My bike came directly from Japan.

Talk to the Staab Agency. Staab Agency Tell them what bike it is and they will give you the list of required documents. Tell them just the required info, don't tell them the story of where the bike is coming from. They will also ask for the VIN to run it and verify it is not stolen. I did mine over 10 years ago, hopefully the process hasn't changed. Once you get the Maine plate and registration in your name mailed to you, just take it down to the WA licensing department and transfer the Maine registration to a WA Title and registration with minimal fee.
Aug 22nd 2017, 08:06 AM   #6
  Aug 2017

Thanks for the replies guys, it's actually going to stay as a track bike for WMRRA so I wont be getting plates or anything put on it. I just want to be sure that if I ever sell it I bring it in properly so I can get it titled and have the option to convert it back to street someday later.

I'll check with staab agency for the required documents.

  PNW Moto > PNW Moto > Mechanical and Technical

bike, importing

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Trade: My Track Bike for your Street bike. 2wheelpodcast Classifieds 0 Jun 5th 2017 01:52 PM

Copyright © 2020 PNW Moto. All rights reserved.