Instagram     

Go Back   PNW Moto > Washington > Seattle > Bellingham

Bellingham Rides, meetups, regional discussions | Bellingham, Washington

Like Tree6Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Aug 8th 2018, 10:01 PM   #1
 Big Cham's Avatar
 
  Jun 2016
  Bellingham

The road to Death Valley,Yosemite,Zion,PCH, and HWY 36.

Highway 19 Oregon.....Very cool road with lots of good scenery. On the way to HWY 36 I came across a few good roads around Lassen Volcanic National Park....as for HWY 36 from Red Bluff to Eureka....I will say you will earn the 140 miles of corners...definitely a tough ride for me on the Ninja 1000...would of been great on a smaller bike like my ZX6R or the FZ09. Yosemite and riding through Tioga pass was awesome...beautiful roads and awesome scenery...after leaving Tioga pass you will be going through the Sierra Mountain range which is also very scenic...after the Sierras I went through Death Valley which was super awesome, really good motorcycle roads with very little traffic...and the scenery was awesome too, very interesting landscape...the bike had no issues even though the temp got up to 114 degrees. My next stop was Zion National Park,the mountains were massive....not much for good motorcycle riding because of traffic but awesome to see in person. On the way home I took the PCH from Ventura back to WA. It sucked, 90% of the time it was foggy and 55 degrees and you couldn't even see the ocean...never will I do this road again on a motorcycle. Overall it was a great experience...something that I hope all of you get to experience as motorcycle enthusiasts...." Not to bad for a guy who rides in shorts eh"
Attached Thumbnails
The road to Death Valley,Yosemite,Zion,PCH, and HWY 36.-oregoon.jpg   The road to Death Valley,Yosemite,Zion,PCH, and HWY 36.-red-bluff-2.jpg   The road to Death Valley,Yosemite,Zion,PCH, and HWY 36.-yosemite-2.jpg   The road to Death Valley,Yosemite,Zion,PCH, and HWY 36.-tioga-pass-4.jpg   The road to Death Valley,Yosemite,Zion,PCH, and HWY 36.-death-valley.jpg  

The road to Death Valley,Yosemite,Zion,PCH, and HWY 36.-sample.jpg   The road to Death Valley,Yosemite,Zion,PCH, and HWY 36.-zion-3.jpg   The road to Death Valley,Yosemite,Zion,PCH, and HWY 36.-pch.jpg  
uhoh, Tripledij, Naza and 2 others like this.

Edited by Big Cham on Aug 8th 2018 at 10:56 PM
Aug 8th 2018, 11:53 PM   #2
 el jefe's Avatar
 
  Jan 2016
  BFE PNW

  V-twins
+1 for Tioga Pass, that's a great road
Aug 9th 2018, 08:02 AM   #3
 Candiya's Avatar
 
  Jan 2016
  Bremerton

  BMW F800R, Honda CBR250R
Wow - thanks for sharing. Sounds like an amazing trip! How long did it take you?
Aug 9th 2018, 09:16 AM   #4
 TREX600's Avatar
 
  Jan 2016
  Custer, WA

  Suzuki 09 GSXR 1000 Suzuki 09 DRZ 400SM 1970 Yamaha 250 DT1 Enduro
Nice
Aug 9th 2018, 09:18 AM   #5
 DarthVader's Avatar
 
  Mar 2016
  Bellingham

  '02 ZX6R
hwy 36 is a great road.....i did it on my old ZX11...and yes, a smaller more nimble bike would make it far more fun!....
Aug 9th 2018, 09:24 AM   #6
 Big Cham's Avatar
 
  Jun 2016
  Bellingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candiya
Wow - thanks for sharing. Sounds like an amazing trip! How long did it take you?
I took 3 weeks off...but actual motorcycle seat time was about 2 weeks. I hung out in Sonoma California for a week.
Candiya likes this.
Aug 9th 2018, 10:01 AM   #7
 
  Jan 2016
  .

Thanks for sharing. Sounds like it was a fantastic adventure. Having said that, riding in 114 for any length of time does sound like a fun damper. Also, I know the pain you speak of when riding through Zion. A couple of years ago, I rode through there in a heavy thunder storm with stop and go traffic almost the whole way. I would hope that you got to at least stay dry.

Again, thanks for sharing the picts.
Aug 9th 2018, 02:17 PM   #8
 Big Cham's Avatar
 
  Jun 2016
  Bellingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeralRdr
Thanks for sharing. Sounds like it was a fantastic adventure. Having said that, riding in 114 for any length of time does sound like a fun damper. Also, I know the pain you speak of when riding through Zion. A couple of years ago, I rode through there in a heavy thunder storm with stop and go traffic almost the whole way. I would hope that you got to at least stay dry.

Again, thanks for sharing the picts.
There were warnings of flash flooding and thunderstorms, but fortunately the storms were there the day before I arrived, but very humid. I see we have the same bike, I have been caught in pretty good storm in the past in Washington and the Ninja 1000 does very well in heavy rain and carried all my luggage with ease.
Aug 9th 2018, 04:32 PM   #9
 coastrider's Avatar
 
  Jan 2016
  Oregon Coast

  2017 BMW R1200RT
I hope you follow up with some more photos and a longer trip report. Three weeks on the road and two weeks in the saddle deserves some more details of the adventure. I have ridden at just a little over 100 but never approaching 114. Can't imagine. Did you have a cooling vest? How was traffic in Yosemite? I have heard it is bad but have never been there. I did ride 136, Red Bluff to Eureka. That "140 miles of curves" sign must be well photographed. Hope to hear more about your ride.
Aug 9th 2018, 07:58 PM   #10
 lazyeye's Avatar
 
  Jan 2016
  Lebanon, OR

  2014 Interceptor, 2012 ZX6R
Did you hit the awful road destruction on 36? We did
Aug 9th 2018, 09:39 PM   #11
 
  Jan 2016
  Gig Harbor

  BMW F650GS / BMW R12R
Highway 36 truly is a bucket list ride...a 3 hour roller coaster ride, and the price of admission is only a few gallons of gas. I was down there in June and was shocked at the lack of traffic. After two Harley dressers with BC plates waved me around there were a couple of 20-30 mile stretches where I didn't see another vehicle traveling the same direction I was going, and I was running a fairly brisk pace considering the bike was loaded for long distance travel. The construction closures probably thinned the traffic because many drivers have become accustomed to taking alternate routes. I hit it on a weekend and the construction work was shut down, hence the road was open all day. On weekdays the road is only open for a couple of hours during the day. There was a 5 or 6 mile gravel stretch in the middle that wasn't too bad. The paved portions were in great shape and really fun to ride.

If I hadn't had someplace to be the next day I would have been tempted to fill up the tank in Red Bluff and turn around to ride it again back to the coast.
Aug 9th 2018, 10:24 PM   #12
 Big Cham's Avatar
 
  Jun 2016
  Bellingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastrider
I hope you follow up with some more photos and a longer trip report. Three weeks on the road and two weeks in the saddle deserves some more details of the adventure. I have ridden at just a little over 100 but never approaching 114. Can't imagine. Did you have a cooling vest? How was traffic in Yosemite? I have heard it is bad but have never been there. I did ride 136, Red Bluff to Eureka. That "140 miles of curves" sign must be well photographed. Hope to hear more about your ride.
Fortunately, I dont get sun burn so riding in the heat isn't a problem for me. Last year on the way back from a road trip I ran into another guy on a motorcycle and he gave me some excellent tips on how to deal with the heat. i would fill a 1/2 gallon coleman tube like cooler with 3 wet Under armour like shirts one long sleeve and 2 short sleeves and I would wear them underneath my vest or coat. While riding in Death Valley I would use the wet long sleeve one underneath a normal jacket instead of a vest. Because it was so hot on my forearms, and the jacket allowed the shirts to stay wet longer...its works very well...I highly recommend trying it. Not only does it keep you cool but it keeps you hydrated. As for Yosemite...there was a fire so, traffic was going the opposite direction of me as they were leaving I was headed to Yosemite....and I planned my routes to the state parks during the weekday....The hardest part about my whole ride wasn't the weather, but smoke in some areas.......I will definetly be doing a follow up write up called " Lessons Learned From My Road Trip" which will talk about what worked and what didn't work.....like apps and gear I used. Thankyou for your feedback.....Do you know how to post pics with a URL?
Aug 9th 2018, 10:51 PM   #13
 Big Cham's Avatar
 
  Jun 2016
  Bellingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazyeye
Did you hit the awful road destruction on 36? We did
I did...I believe it was after the Gas Station/Laundry mat/ Man camp area......At the time it sucked, but I wished I would of stop to take pictures of the road construction, it looked like GPS sent you to the middle of nowhere on a motorcycle.......Did you guys hit the fresh section of paved roads with no warning signs of how the corner was gonna be? On the way back home I did a zig zag back to Washington because of all smoke in Southern Oregon....I took the HWY 138 TO HWY 38 to reedsport than North to Newport then HWY 20 to Albany then the next morning I took HWY 26 to Mount Hood then HWY 35 back to Washington....that was a pretty sweet loop. I see your from Lebanon, Oregon thats why I wrote that, I was gonna go through Lebanon on the way back from Albany, but the smoke looked thick so I took I5 up to HWY 26.

Edited by Big Cham on Aug 9th 2018 at 11:10 PM
Aug 9th 2018, 10:57 PM   #14
 Big Cham's Avatar
 
  Jun 2016
  Bellingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by FidalgoRob
Highway 36 truly is a bucket list ride...a 3 hour roller coaster ride, and the price of admission is only a few gallons of gas. I was down there in June and was shocked at the lack of traffic. After two Harley dressers with BC plates waved me around there were a couple of 20-30 mile stretches where I didn't see another vehicle traveling the same direction I was going, and I was running a fairly brisk pace considering the bike was loaded for long distance travel. The construction closures probably thinned the traffic because many drivers have become accustomed to taking alternate routes. I hit it on a weekend and the construction work was shut down, hence the road was open all day. On weekdays the road is only open for a couple of hours during the day. There was a 5 or 6 mile gravel stretch in the middle that wasn't too bad. The paved portions were in great shape and really fun to ride.

If I hadn't had someplace to be the next day I would have been tempted to fill up the tank in Red Bluff and turn around to ride it again back to the coast.
I rode it on a Sunday, and there were signs saying that the road was clsoed Monday thru thursday.....I agree if I had a smaller bike like my previous bike the FZ09, i probably would of ran that road again but the opposite direction. The same road ridden from different directions can feel like two different roads, even the scenery changes.
Aug 9th 2018, 11:24 PM   #15
 DarthVader's Avatar
 
  Mar 2016
  Bellingham

  '02 ZX6R
hwy 20 to Albany?...and you didnt swing by my place and say hi?.....I'm less than a half hour from hwy 20!
Reply

  PNW Moto > Washington > Seattle > Bellingham

Tags
death, hwy, pch, road, valley, yosemite, zion



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lower Queen Anne Death Zone paradox206 Seattle 37 Jul 16th 2018 04:12 PM
EBR's final death? equinity Motorcycles 10 Jan 31st 2017 03:15 PM
Green Valley Road incident Friday 3/25 Red Label Moto Seattle 3 Mar 26th 2016 12:39 PM
Guy Martin and his Wall of Death Bill98579 Motorcycles 2 Mar 25th 2016 02:43 PM
Rider Down 3/18 on Green Valley Road fiveohford Seattle 0 Mar 20th 2016 12:59 AM




Copyright © 2018 PNW Moto. All rights reserved.