PNW Moto

PNW Moto (http://pnwmoto.com/pnw-motorcycle-forum.php)
-   Adventure Riding (http://pnwmoto.com/adventure-riding/)
-   -   Dirt Bike Safety Training...reviews/opinions? (http://pnwmoto.com/adventure-riding/dirt-bike-safety-training-reviews-opinions-526/)

Dr_E Feb 18th 2016 07:18 AM

Dirt Bike Safety Training...reviews/opinions?
 
Wondering if anyone has taken any of these courses from these guys before? While I race and have street ridden for many years but my off road riding saddle time is limited. The reason for asking is a couple years back I did a frame off on an 89 Transalp that I want to ride the WABDR.

I know many would simply say, go out and ride...which I have, but like with anything instruction can greatly enhance the learning curve and avoid issues. I would really appreciate any feedback folks have from this (good or bad).

Dirt Bike Safety Training | About Us CLICK HERE

Candiya Feb 18th 2016 07:33 AM

I'm not sure if this is helpful or not, but I'd figure I'd throw it out: I haven't tried the organization you listed, but I did take a dirt riding class through Puget Sound Safety Off-Road (PSS Off Road · Dirtbike, dualsport, and adventure motorcycle training.), and I was happy with it. I took their basic skills class for total noobs, but they also offer advanced classes and multi-day training/camping trips on the WABDR. Hope you find what you're looking for!

Geek Feb 18th 2016 08:06 AM

I've done the class Candiya has done with Pssor, it was good but if you have been riding the dirt I would say do there intermediate class the beginner class is really basic.
Thanks for posting up that place, I'm interested in an intermediate class myself to go with the new bike..
I'll wait till someone chimes in on this one.

sunofnun Feb 18th 2016 10:16 AM

You guys just come ride with me.. A lot has to do with seat time.. but also having riders show you tips and tricks out in the field.

An amazing class I've taken twice is called dirtwise. Its taught by shane watts. It comes to town once or twice a year. I'll be taking it again this year.

Its Basic class is pretty damn hardcore. Its a 2-3 day class depending on which one you sign up for. Every time Ive done it, 30 or so guys start out, and 15-20 finish. Its challenging for beginners and vets. Shane does a great job of challenging each rider at his/her own level. I've seen people out there on TTR125's and KTM adventure bikes. (I felt sorry for the KLR, and BMW guys)

Anyway, I'm happy to take you jokers out whenever..

This is me and a few buddies from 2014. I am the one with the camera that landed on his face.. lol


sunofnun Feb 18th 2016 10:17 AM

Shane watts info:

DirtWise | Offroad Riding Academy and Instructional DVDs


metricHalfPint Feb 18th 2016 06:26 PM

This one is near Sacramento, but Ken Hill will also be at the Ridge for TrackTime track days in 2016.

Ken Hill Dirt Days

with TrackTime at the Ridge:
Schedule

Flyboymedic Feb 18th 2016 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geek (Post 6228)
I've done the class Candiya has done with Pssor, it was good but if you have been riding the dirt I would say do there intermediate class the beginner class is really basic.

Good to know! I fall a lot more on my Husky than my street bikes and the last get off broke my shoulder in several places. I vowed to take a proper off-road class that day and will sign up for the 200 level class in April.

Dr_E Feb 19th 2016 05:50 AM

Thanks guys, good to see there are some really cool programs out there. Sunofnun that April class is looking really good if race season wasn't about to start that next weekend. Maybe I just load the dang bike up and come down one of these days to ride with you.

Diedrix Feb 19th 2016 07:58 PM

I'll be riding at Walker Valley tomorrow with my dad. I'm helping him learn the basics, so if anyone else wants some novice coaching you're more than welcome to join us. Thinking about a Tahuya trip next weekend if this notice is too short....

NWBoarder Feb 21st 2016 02:28 PM

Hi Guys,

Whitney here from Dirt Bike Safety Training, thought I'd introduce myself. Thank you for asking the question about riding schools in the PNW.
(Please let me know if I’m violating any forum rules I didn’t see a vendor section)

My business partner Jason and I have been riding and racing in the PNW for more than 30 years. Everything from trail rides, dualsports, adventure bikes, hare scrambles, MX, enduros, enduro cross, to Rally Raids. About 3 years ago we started working with Gary LaPlante, from Anza, CA, and have now opened a franchise of his proven DirtFIRST by MotoVentures off-road training school. LaPlante is well known and respected and has written the book “How to Ride Off-Road Motorcycles”.

Learning to ride in the dirt first holds incredible benefits for the riding public. Not only is it widely acknowledged by experts as the best way to learn for beginners, it is also recognized as the best way for anyone trying to improve their current riding skills regardless of what or where they ride now. This is the perfect skill builder for dual-sport or adventure bike riders.

• Our training curriculum
• Our friendly, professional instructors
• Our private ideally-suited training site
• Our training motorcycles
• Our fun and positive learning environment
• Our accessibility

DBST offers motorcycle rider training courses throughout the year for anyone who wants to learn how to ride or how to take their riding to the next level; men and women, boys and girls, of all skill levels from beginners to advanced riders seeking a motorcycle coach, motocross or trials training.

Street bike, dual sport and adventure riders will also benefit from the training as they can swap a bigger, heavier bike for one of our smaller, user-friendly dirt bikes. This allows a person to learn to ride in the dirt or improve existing riding skills without the pressure of a big bike. The skills learned will transfer to street or adventure bikes, enhancing the rider’s overall abilities.

We attend most of the local ADV rallies and offer rider training nearly every week usually on Thursday through Sunday contact us anytime.

Debi Feb 21st 2016 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sunofnun (Post 6242)
You guys just come ride with me.. A lot has to do with seat time.. but also having riders show you tips and tricks out in the field.

An amazing class I've taken twice is called dirtwise. Its taught by shane watts. It comes to town once or twice a year. I'll be taking it again this year.

Its Basic class is pretty damn hardcore. Its a 2-3 day class depending on which one you sign up for. Every time Ive done it, 30 or so guys start out, and 15-20 finish. Its challenging for beginners and vets. Shane does a great job of challenging each rider at his/her own level. I've seen people out there on TTR125's and KTM adventure bikes. (I felt sorry for the KLR, and BMW guys)

Anyway, I'm happy to take you jokers out whenever..

This is me and a few buddies from 2014. I am the one with the camera that landed on his face.. lol


You know something, you seem to crash more than I do so maybe I should teach them ;)

But in all seriousness, seat time seat time SEAT TIME. Classes will give you the basics but seat time really does help you more. If you have someone with you that knows what they are doing it helps a lot as does riding with people faster than yourself.

Schools are great and do help but even those teachers will tell you seat time seat time SEAT TIME.

BTW, ELBOWS UP :spin:

Geek Feb 21st 2016 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NWBoarder (Post 6570)
Hi Guys,

Whitney here from Dirt Bike Safety Training, thought I'd introduce myself. Thank you for asking the question about riding schools in the PNW.
(Please let me know if I’m violating any forum rules I didn’t see a vendor section)

My business partner Jason and I have been riding and racing in the PNW for more than 30 years. Everything from trail rides, dualsports, adventure bikes, hare scrambles, MX, enduros, enduro cross, to Rally Raids. About 3 years ago we started working with Gary LaPlante, from Anza, CA, and have now opened a franchise of his proven DirtFIRST by MotoVentures off-road training school. LaPlante is well known and respected and has written the book “How to Ride Off-Road Motorcycles”.

Learning to ride in the dirt first holds incredible benefits for the riding public. Not only is it widely acknowledged by experts as the best way to learn for beginners, it is also recognized as the best way for anyone trying to improve their current riding skills regardless of what or where they ride now. This is the perfect skill builder for dual-sport or adventure bike riders.

•Our training curriculum
•Our friendly, professional instructors
•Our private ideally-suited training site
•Our training motorcycles
•Our fun and positive learning environment
•Our accessibility

DBST offers motorcycle rider training courses throughout the year for anyone who wants to learn how to ride or how to take their riding to the next level; men and women, boys and girls, of all skill levels from beginners to advanced riders seeking a motorcycle coach, motocross or trials training.

Street bike, dual sport and adventure riders will also benefit from the training as they can swap a bigger, heavier bike for one of our smaller, user-friendly dirt bikes. This allows a person to learn to ride in the dirt or improve existing riding skills without the pressure of a big bike. The skills learned will transfer to street or adventure bikes, enhancing the rider’s overall abilities.

We attend most of the local ADV rallies and offer rider training nearly every week usually on Thursday through Sunday contact us anytime.


Where are you guys based at? Your website doesn't say that I can find..


Sent via iPhone

NWBoarder Feb 21st 2016 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Debi (Post 6572)
You know something, you seem to crash more than I do so maybe I should teach them ;)

But in all seriousness, seat time seat time SEAT TIME. Classes will give you the basics but seat time really does help you more. If you have someone with you that knows what they are doing it helps a lot as does riding with people faster than yourself.

Schools are great and do help but even those teachers will tell you seat time seat time SEAT TIME.

BTW, ELBOWS UP :spin:


^^^ Agreed

We tell our students, now go out and practice the exercises, don't just go ride. Perfect practice makes perfect.

NWBoarder Feb 21st 2016 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geek (Post 6574)
Where are you guys based at? Your website doesn't say that I can find..


Sent via iPhone

We do most of our training in Shomomish Co. and also travel to the various rallies around WA and OR. We are working on locations in eastern WA as well.

NWBoarder Feb 23rd 2016 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redkat600 (Post 6582)
Thanks for signing up and welcome to the forums! Good to know there's another resource for our dirty riders in the PNW!

In the future, please feel free to advertise in our vendor section located here: Marketplace - PNW Moto

Start a thread there and keep it bumped!

Thanks Redkat, Somehow I didn't see that thread before.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 05:33 PM.

Copyright © 2019 PNW Moto. All rights reserved.