PNW Moto

PNW Moto (http://pnwmoto.com/pnw-motorcycle-forum.php)
-   Adventure Riding (http://pnwmoto.com/adventure-riding/)
-   -   Bella Coola BC (http://pnwmoto.com/adventure-riding/bella-coola-bc-2940/)

dstevens Feb 15th 2017 06:24 PM

Bella Coola BC
 
This July, I will be riding from Spokane to Port Hardy BC and taking the ferry to Bella Coola BC.

From Bella Coola I will be riding to Revelstoke and then to Banff and returning to Spokane.

Has anyone ridden from or around Bella Coola? Just wondering what people thought of the ride.

mcrider007 Feb 15th 2017 10:23 PM

I have ridden to Bella Coola twice from Williams Lake. Great ride, very remote, and the "Hill" is fun, especially when riding east (uphill). Forty miles of dirt roads each way. Bella Coola is very small with one hotel and one campground. Almost everything is closed on Sunday including the gas station.

Busted Feb 15th 2017 10:42 PM

I rode from Williams Lake to Bella Coola a few years ago. I really enjoyed it. Nice scenery, fun ride, very few cars. Bring a freestanding tent and you can "camp" on the deck of the ferry between Port Hardy and Bella Coola. If I remember right, it was a solid 24 hour ferry ride.

dstevens Feb 16th 2017 10:26 AM

Thank you for the posts.

I exit the ferry at midnight (or so it is scheduled) in Bella Coola and will be staying at the campground, before taking off in daylight.

Thank you again for the posts.

Flyboymedic Feb 16th 2017 02:54 PM

Please do a ride report! This looks like a great idea for a ride!

Willow Feb 16th 2017 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcrider007 (Post 31726)
I have ridden to Bella Coola twice from Williams Lake. Great ride, very remote, and the "Hill" is fun, especially when riding east (uphill). Forty miles of dirt roads each way. Bella Coola is very small with one hotel and one campground. Almost everything is closed on Sunday including the gas station.

Can you give more info on the "Hill" and does Hwy 20 have 40 miles of dirt road? Looks like a great ride to me too :)

mcrider007 Feb 17th 2017 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Willow (Post 31762)
Can you give more info on the "Hill" and does Hwy 20 have 40 miles of dirt road? Looks like a great ride to me too :)

Its a long story but easy to research. The short version is that local ranchers got tired of waiting for the government to complete Hwy 20 and used bull dozers to finish the road over the mountains so Bella Coola would not be landlocked. The Hill is a dirt road, single lane in places, with up to 18 percent grades. It drops over 3000 feet in the last 4-5 miles on the west side. It was completed in the early 50's and hasn't changed much. In spite of several steep hairpin curves they actually run buses over it during the winter.

Yes, there are 40 miles of dirt road in total. You could ride it on a street bike without much difficulty but I wouldn't recommend doing it on street tires in the rain.

dstevens Feb 17th 2017 10:42 AM

I will take pictures along the way and complete a ride report.

uhoh Feb 17th 2017 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dstevens (Post 31767)
I will take pictures along the way and complete a ride report.

Now that's a winner!
Because I might never get there.
Thanks.

mcrider007 Feb 17th 2017 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dstevens (Post 31767)
I will take pictures along the way and complete a ride report.

My riding partner did a trip report of our 2015 trip. You can view it here:

Bella Coola & Hyder - Ride Reports - FJRForum

dstevens Feb 17th 2017 01:21 PM

Thank you for the trip report.

FeralRdr Feb 19th 2017 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flyboymedic (Post 31754)
Please do a ride report! This looks like a great idea for a ride!

I second the motion for a nice ride report. :D


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 02:46 PM.

Copyright © 2019 PNW Moto. All rights reserved.